Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seriously though, if I'm Kapannen or Johnsson, am I happy with a third of Nylaner's salary? Especially Kap. He may not be Nylander but he's shown he's in his league.

And when you think about it, the difference between 10.5 and 11 6 for Matthews is really a respect/ego discussion because he's set for life regardless. Kappy at 2.75M doesn't set him up at all. I.e., he has WAY more motivation to hold out for a 4M deal than Matthews needed to bicker over an extra mill.

Bottom line, I don't expect Kapannen to sign for 2.75M which is why he may be gone.

Kapanen has scored like 25 goals in his career. He has played great. Sure but willy was a back to back 61 pt player.

Most 2 year deals last year were 3-3.25 for proven 50 pt players. I think 1 year at 2.75 is reasonable.

But if not. Kappy May have to go. Get a good D for him. And all will be well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It'd be nice if we got Matthews at 11. Nicer at 10.5 or with a 6th year. But the idea of insulting him by trying to pay him as a 69 point player is just pants on head stupid. We'd be way better off with a pissed off franchised centre taking an offersheet at 10.14x2

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Kapanen has scored like 25 goals in his career. He has played great. Sure but willy was a back to back 61 pt player.

Most 2 year deals last year were 3-3.25 for proven 50 pt players. I think 1 year at 2.75 is reasonable.

But if not. Kappy May have to go. Get a good D for him. And all will be well.

Problem is, Kapannen hasn't been given the opportunities Nylander has.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Problem is, Kapannen hasn't been given the opportunities Nylander has.

Not in contract talks. That’s not our problem. Unless he holds out or demands a trade. . A 1 year prove it deal at 2.75 in my mind seems fair. We will see what he wants. One of them is going to probably be pushed out for a D anyway. But if we were to keep them both. I would definitely say

Mango at 2.25 and kappy at 2.75 on 1 year deals is fair. I personally want to trade kappy for a Carolina D. Imagine.

Brown and kappy for pesce.

Hyman. Tavares. Marner.
Marleau. Matthews Nylander.
Johnny. Kadri. Bracco
Lindholm. Goat. Moore.

Rielly. Pesce.
Muzz. Zaitsev
Dermot. Oz
Rosen.

Andy
Sparks.

It fits. Even better if we managed to get rid of marleau which is what I think will happen but that would work nicely.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We don't get a discount on one of the best players in the league because of that time he and Rielly accidentally ran into each other, or the time he got caught by Trouba. That's not how it works.

Crosby and Malkin have put up just ONE 82 game season BETWEEN them in the last TEN years. I've never heard anyone say they are overpaid because of it, or that Pittsburg is hurting as a result.
But they both had surpassed 100 points at time of signing their post elc contract.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Because they were the 5 year contracts? Comparing term to term....... those are the 5 year. Deals.

That’s why Matthews is hard to compare on a 5 year deal. The comparables were old... but he stays in line. With the original ones. He sits below ovy/Crosby/Malkin. But above the rest in terms of production. Soooo 13-14 percent on a 5 year deal seems somewhat fair. The problem is the contract was a year too short in my mind.

Again over the past 25 years. Auston Matthews has scored the 8th most goals already in his first 3 seasons. He has missed 30 games. He has 24 games to go. He is already second in even strength goals. He is third in goals per game and FIRST in goals per minute.

The players above him are ovy and Malkin and both started a year later.

Again. Regardless of whether or not people wanted a 5 year deal. What is a fair cap percentage on a 5 year deal for a top 1-3 goal scorer currently in the league. And has been one of the top 3 in the last 25 years?

What’s the value?
If Matthews signed for 11.6 over 5 years, then what would that have been over eight years (the three extra years ALL ufa years). 14? 15? You really think that's fair given the McDavid and Eichel comparables?

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Two things to remember in this thread:

1) Teams do NOT get into cap trouble by overpaying their star players (Matthews,Tavares,Nylander,Marner).

2) Teams DO get into cap trouble by overpaying guys like Hyman, Brown, Johnsson,Kapanen,Dermott. Especially Hyman and Brown when their contracts are up you need to move them or let them go. You end up in cap hell like Edmonton or Detroit a few years ago by paying these guys between $4M and $6M when you could keep the cap space and replace them if you develop players properly.

How about our gm just doesn't overpay ANY player? How about that?

Reactions: dsred

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
How about our gm just doesn't overpay ANY player? How about that?
If it keeps your big boys happy, it's fine.

Not a perfect situation, but again I'd much rather have these guys making a little extra over having say a Loui Eriksson, or Milan Lucic or even Abdelkader contract on the roster. If it pushes guys out it almost saves GM's from themselves.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
1.) You are actually going to ignore the obvious tax situation????? You can’t actually be serious with this ..... you want consistency in contracts when there is a team that doesn’t have to pay income tax?

Rantanen would be a reasonable argument. If Marner makes more Than him on a similar term (provided Marner doesn’t completely destroy him in the last 20 games). Then you could have a point.

So far you have been proven wrong with your Nylander views and there is no basis of comparables on Matthews.
I've heard the case made that the way Toronto structures their players contracts by massively front loading them provides a comparable tax break to a player in Tampa. Look at just how much more front loaded Tavares and Nylanders contracts are compared to Stamkos and Kucherov.

So there goes that excuse...

So your tax argument is void, your "centers make more" argument is abandoned, and your "goals count more than points" argument has disappeared.

Fascinating.

So, what do you think Point will get? What will Marner get? Leaf fans will NOT answer this question. They just won't.

And league-wide, Nylander is considered an overpayment based on his comparables. It's just leaf fans arguing otherwise.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Not in contract talks. That’s not our problem. Unless he holds out or demands a trade. . A 1 year prove it deal at 2.75 in my mind seems fair. We will see what he wants. One of them is going to probably be pushed out for a D anyway. But if we were to keep them both. I would definitely say

Mango at 2.25 and kappy at 2.75 on 1 year deals is fair. I personally want to trade kappy for a Carolina D. Imagine.

Brown and kappy for pesce.

Hyman. Tavares. Marner.
Marleau. Matthews Nylander.
Johnny. Kadri. Bracco
Lindholm. Goat. Moore.

Rielly. Pesce.
Muzz. Zaitsev
Dermot. Oz
Rosen.

Andy
Sparks.

It fits. Even better if we managed to get rid of marleau which is what I think will happen but that would work nicely.

When we looked at Nylander and Matthews, I CONSTANTLY saw posts about their limited PP time and ice time and how it wasn't their fault and shouldn't affect their pay.

That doesn't now apply to Kapanen? Where is CONSISTENCY? The guy has like 40 career PP minutes. When actually put on Matthews wing, his points have been VERY similar to Nylanders. Let's also point out that Kapanen is on a 26 goal pace over 82, significantly higher than Nylander's career high of 21 (again, without pretty much ANY pp time and often with a 3rd liners average toi/game.) It's YOU that made the case that goals count more.

There is NO consistency.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
If it keeps your big boys happy, it's fine.

Not a perfect situation, but again I'd much rather have these guys making a little extra over having say a Loui Eriksson, or Milan Lucic or even Abdelkader contract on the roster. If it pushes guys out it almost saves GM's from themselves.
Other teams seem to have happy "big boys" without overpaying them.

And the fact that you need to keep citing the worst contracts in the league in order to feel better about Matthews contract is very very telling.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I've heard the case made that the way Toronto structures their players contracts by massively front loading them provides a comparable tax break to a player in Tampa. Look at just how much more front loaded Tavares and Nylanders contracts are compared to Stamkos and Kucherov.

So there goes that excuse...

So your tax argument is void, your "centers make more" argument is abandoned, and your "goals count more than points" argument has disappeared.

Fascinating.

So, what do you think Point will get? What will Marner get? Leaf fans will NOT answer this question. They just won't.

And league-wide, Nylander is considered an overpayment based on his comparables. It's just leaf fans arguing otherwise.

1.) Excuse from whom????? Bob McKenzie has specifically come out and said that Marner and kucherov are not seen as comparables because of the tax scenario?

Multiple media. Insiders and ex players have all come out and said that no tax teams can get players for less.

There is NO evidence that the tax structure that Toronto gives has advantages.

There is a long standing history of Tampa. Dallas. Nashville getting players to sign below market value.

2.) you have already been proven wrong about Nylander in what 30 different ways?
Now you are using fan reports from other teams? You do realize that many fans were calling for 7-8 million for Nylander before he signed? You do get that opinions automatically change once the leafs do something right?

According to fans. Nylander was signing for 8 million. Matthews wasnt going to sign early and there were teams lining up to sign him for 15 x 7.

Now Nylander and Matthews are overpaid.... again for the millionth time. Fan arguments are not reality.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
When we looked at Nylander and Matthews, I CONSTANTLY saw posts about their limited PP time and ice time and how it wasn't their fault and shouldn't affect their pay.

That doesn't now apply to Kapanen? Where is CONSISTENCY? The guy has like 40 career PP minutes. When actually put on Matthews wing, his points have been VERY similar to Nylanders. Let's also point out that Kapanen is on a 26 goal pace over 82, significantly higher than Nylander's career high of 21 (again, without pretty much ANY pp time and often with a 3rd liners average toi/game.) It's YOU that made the case that goals count more.

There is NO consistency.

How do you not understand this?

When comparing star production. There are variables.

Ie when Matthews is scoring 40’goals with 18 mins a game pp2 time and brown and Hyman.

That may be more impressive than a player who scores slightly more with 22 min a game, pp1 time and star line mates.

That is ENTIRELY different then comparing a guy who has become a full time nhl player at 22 with 25 total NHL goals on his resume to a back to back 60 pt player.

This really isn’t hard. You are trying to play Colombo and try to search for exact consistency like it is a logic puzzle.
There is no exact grid. Or graph. Every situation is slightly different. Otherwise there wouldn’t be contract negotiations. There would just be a grid of goals/points and pay.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
1.) Excuse from whom????? Bob McKenzie has specifically come out and said that Marner and kucherov are not seen as comparables because of the tax scenario?

Multiple media. Insiders and ex players have all come out and said that no tax teams can get players for less.

There is NO evidence that the tax structure that Toronto gives has advantages.

There is a long standing history of Tampa. Dallas. Nashville getting players to sign below market value.

2.) you have already been proven wrong about Nylander in what 30 different ways?
Now you are using fan reports from other teams? You do realize that many fans were calling for 7-8 million for Nylander before he signed? You do get that opinions automatically change once the leafs do something right?

According to fans. Nylander was signing for 8 million. Matthews wasnt going to sign early and there were teams lining up to sign him for 15 x 7.

Now Nylander and Matthews are overpaid.... again for the millionth time. Fan arguments are not reality.

1. There is no evidence that front-loading a contract has financial benefits for the players? What the hell are you talking about? Why do players fight so hard to get it then? Look at this article about it.
John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract
No evidence? This is NEXT LEVEL denial. You are in flat out denial about these overpayments.

2. Nylander is overpaid based on his comparables. You yourself said goals matter more, and Pastrnak had far more goals than Nylander, and he also signed for 1 extra ufa year than Nylander did. There is no f***ing way Nylander should be making more than Pastrnak. Ehlers is Nylander's closest comparable. Nylander signed for a higher cap percentage for one less year and 2 less ufa years. It's a complete joke. Let's also add that Ehlers scored substantially more goals. What happened to that argument of yours? There is NO consistency.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
How do you not understand this?

When comparing star production. There are variables.

Ie when Matthews is scoring 40’goals with 18 mins a game pp2 time and brown and Hyman.

That may be more impressive than a player who scores slightly more with 22 min a game, pp1 time and star line mates.

That is ENTIRELY different then comparing a guy who has become a full time nhl player at 22 with 25 total NHL goals on his resume to a back to back 60 pt player.

This really isn’t hard. You are trying to play Colombo and try to search for exact consistency like it is a logic puzzle.
There is no exact grid. Or graph. Every situation is slightly different. Otherwise there wouldn’t be contract negotiations. There would just be a grid of goals/points and pay.

I get it. When it helps your argument, goals count more, centers make more, and PP time and toi are important. When it DOESNT' help your argument, goals DON'T count more, centers DON'T make more, and PP time and toi don't matter in the slightest.

That sure sounds fair. Very consistent.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Other teams seem to have happy "big boys" without overpaying them.

And the fact that you need to keep citing the worst contracts in the league in order to feel better about Matthews contract is very very telling.
No I'm saying teams with money to spend hurt themselves, and that you can pay your elite players what they want because they're going to be worth it.

At most it forces out 2 of Hyman, Brown, and Johnsson, so should we really care that much if we continue to develop players like Moore, Marchment, Bracco etc..? The overpay we're complaining about really won't effect the team that much.

Kind of like when Chicago did their first sell off after winning the cup.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. There is no evidence that front-loading a contract has financial benefits for the players? What the hell are you talking about? Why do players fight so hard to get it then? Look at this article about it.
John Tavares Could Save Nearly $12 Million In Taxes On His New Contract
No evidence? This is NEXT LEVEL denial. You are in flat out denial about these overpayments.

2. Nylander is overpaid based on his comparables. You yourself said goals matter more, and Pastrnak had far more goals than Nylander, and he also signed for 1 extra ufa year than Nylander did. There is no ****ing way Nylander should be making more than Pastrnak. Ehlers is Nylander's closest comparable. Nylander signed for a higher cap percentage for one less year and 2 less ufa years. It's a complete joke. Let's also add that Ehlers scored substantially more goals. What happened to that argument of yours? There is NO consistency.

What I mean is that there has not been a long standing history of players front loading contracts taking less in toronto in comparison to the other teams. Many other teams can do it. The leafs don’t have a province “front loading” exemption like Tampa has a tax exemption. Like I said. Bob McKenzie himself has already said Tampa scenarios are irrelevant as the leafs can’t give the no tax advantage.

Also. Guess what? Tampa ALSO front loads contracts and gives out signing bonuses that are ALL tax free. There is NO evidence that the leafs are the only one who can use money up front to get players to sign for less. They don’t have a unique advantage like some states do. In fact. We offered that and the endorsements to stamkos.... he chose to sign for less in Tampa.

2.). Again. Ehlers signed a year early with much less total production. Pasternak had no goal scoring pedigree to his name and had like 15 goals in the AHL I think?
Nylander ended up at .875 of the cap Which was well in line with previous comparables, independent models of contracts AND much less than what “fans” of other teams expected. And it was LESS than Pasternak. Maybe he should have fought for more? Maybe he didn’t have the money to sit out like Nylander? Regardless. They had almost identical production with Nylander having more consistency, better international play and a better pedigree Pasta had a better platform year..... he got a slightly better deal. But he has shown himself to be
A better goal scorer and has seperated himself from Nylander.

This really isn’t hard. You are looking for inconsistency instead of understanding. You don’t actually read or consider what people are saying..... it’s very bizzarre. I mean why go on a discussion board to act hysterical and go on screaming rants about “consistency”. I don’t see the point. Especially when you’re arguments make no sense?

I mean. If you really want goals and platform years to mean more than consistent production, I mean shouldn’t we have signed Justin holl to a doughty contract this summer?

He went from undrafted to, to AHL player to “a goal a game” in the NHL with no pp time!!!! That’s a way higher trajectory than Pasternak had. He should get paid more than established NHL vets with consistent production right?

See how ridiculous it is to take things out of context and provide absolute all or nothing thinking?

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
After reading through the heavy negative reaction of this contract I had to make an account just to say that this deal will be a steal three years from now. The cap is projected to raise a significant amount and Matthews knows he left a lot of money on the table so he could keep a reasonable cap number for the rest of the team.

Let's compare this AAV after this summers RFA pool gets signed, I bet it won't look so bad. Happy to have one of the best players in the league on our team for five more years either way.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
What I mean is that there has not been a long standing history of players front loading contracts taking less in toronto in comparison to the other teams. Many other teams can do it. The leafs don’t have a province “front loading” exemption like Tampa has a tax exemption. Like I said. Bob McKenzie himself has already said Tampa scenarios are irrelevant as the leafs can’t give the no tax advantage.

Also. Guess what? Tampa ALSO front loads contracts and gives out signing bonuses that are ALL tax free. There is NO evidence that the leafs are the only one who can use money up front to get players to sign for less. They don’t have a unique advantage like some states do. In fact. We offered that and the endorsements to stamkos.... he chose to sign for less in Tampa.

2.). Again. Ehlers signed a year early with much less total production. Pasternak had no goal scoring pedigree to his name and had like 15 goals in the AHL I think?
Nylander ended up at .875 of the cap Which was well in line with previous comparables, independent models of contracts AND much less than what “fans” of other teams expected. And it was LESS than Pasternak. Maybe he should have fought for more? Maybe he didn’t have the money to sit out like Nylander? Regardless. They had almost identical production with Nylander having more consistency, better international play and a better pedigree Pasta had a better platform year..... he got a slightly better deal. But he has shown himself to be
A better goal scorer and has seperated himself from Nylander.

This really isn’t hard. You are looking for inconsistency instead of understanding. You don’t actually read or consider what people are saying..... it’s very bizzarre. I mean why go on a discussion board to act hysterical and go on screaming rants about “consistency”. I don’t see the point. Especially when you’re arguments make no sense?

I mean. If you really want goals and platform years to mean more than consistent production, I mean shouldn’t we have signed Justin holl to a doughty contract this summer?

He went from undrafted to, to AHL player to “a goal a game” in the NHL with no pp time!!!! That’s a way higher trajectory than Pasternak had. He should get paid more than established NHL vets with consistent production right?

See how ridiculous it is to take things out of context and provide absolute all or nothing thinking?

1. That is a very lame backpedal. I thought there was "no proof" that these front loaded contracts had tax advantages? What the hell? And Tampa is NOT front loading their contracts the way the leafs just did with Tavares and Nylander. It seems more of a big muscle huge market rich team thing to do. Which negates the alleged contract advantage that you were claiming Tampa has.
If Marners contract is front-loaded, and Points isn't (following the trend for how BOTH teams have been handing out their contracts), do you now agree that there really isn't a tax advantage for Tampa?

So, in that case, what should the contracts be for Marner and Point? Point is a CENTER (your argument). Point has far more GOALS (your argument), and there isn't a tax advantage for Point (your failed argument). So, based on YOUR arguments, do you agree Point shoud make far more money than Marner?

2. I'm sorry, but if lack of PP time, TOI, and all that other stuff was used to rationalize Nylanders overpayments, why can't that same argument be applied to Kapanen?
Get ready to watch some spin...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. That is a very lame backpedal. I thought there was "no proof" that these front loaded contracts had tax advantages? What the hell? And Tampa is NOT front loading their contracts the way the leafs just did with Tavares and Nylander. It seems more of a big muscle huge market rich team thing to do. Which negates the alleged contract advantage that you were claiming Tampa has.
If Marners contract is front-loaded, and Points isn't (following the trend for how BOTH teams have been handing out their contracts), do you now agree that there really isn't a tax advantage for Tampa?

So, in that case, what should the contracts be for Marner and Point? Point is a CENTER (your argument). Point has far more GOALS (your argument), and there isn't a tax advantage for Points (your failed argument). So, based on YOUR arguments, do you agree Point shoud make far more money than Marner?

2. I'm sorry, but if lack of PP time, TOI, and all that other stuff was used to rationalize Nylanders overpayments, why can't that same argument be applied to Kapanen?
Get ready to watch some spin...

1.) again. like I said. There is no evidence that toronto has a unique advantage in its ability to front load its contracts. And that this unique ability allows us to sign players for less. Front loading and signing bonuses are not unique to toronto. Many teams use them to a large degree. Including tax free states. Stamkos is virtually all tax free signing bonuses.......

Of course I don’t agree that there really isn’t a tax advantage for Tampa/Dallas/Nashville. Why would anyone? It’s true. NHL players. Agents, and insiders have all specifically reported that it is a real thing that allows these markets to sign players for less....

How can you argue for consistency and ask people to ignore the CONSISTENT message
From ex players, agents, management and media that these markets can sign players for less and can’t be used as comparable? Not very consistent.

If Marner makes dramatically more than rantanen and Aho. You may actually have made a point. Tonthis point it hasn’t happened yet.

2.) again I am being consistent. TRACK record matters. Total points, ppg etc all matter on your ELC.

Nylander has scored way more goals, way more points and has actually made the team in his first 3’years of his ELC. That’s why he gets paid more. Kapanen has less time
Because he didn’t make the team. Matthews gets more because he is a top 3 goal scorer In the league at 21 and has been a top 3 ELC scorer in the past 25’years combined. The fact that he did this despite AHL linemates, low minutes and pp2 time is more impressive. Sure. But if Matthews spent his first 2 years in the AHL and scored at a high pace in his third year. He wouldn’t get the same money. You have to see that right?

Track record and consistent production matter. That’s pretty consistent. Unless you are arguing that a player who spent 2
Years in the minors should get more than a proven 60 point player.

How about this. What do you think matters in contracts?

1.) what is a top 3 goal scorer at 21 worth on a 5 year contract?

2.) how much do you think,
Point, rantanen, Marner, aho should get?
3.) how much should kapanen get?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Matthews signed for 11.6 over 5 years, then what would that have been over eight years (the three extra years ALL ufa years). 14? 15? You really think that's fair given the McDavid and Eichel comparables?

As @Pookie pointed out during the Nylander discussion, comparables go out the window as soon as another team is willing to bear the compensation and go the OS route and the player is willing to push for the money.

Do you think there would be any shortage of teams willing to OS Matthews at 4 years x 10.14? 3 years? 2?

Reactions: Pookie

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
1.) again. like I said. There is no evidence that toronto has a unique advantage in its ability to front load its contracts. And that this unique ability allows us to sign players for less. Front loading and signing bonuses are not unique to toronto. Many teams use them to a large degree. Including tax free states. Stamkos is virtually all tax free signing bonuses.......

Of course I don’t agree that there really isn’t a tax advantage for Tampa/Dallas/Nashville. Why would anyone? It’s true. NHL players. Agents, and insiders have all specifically reported that it is a real thing that allows these markets to sign players for less....

How can you argue for consistency and ask people to ignore the CONSISTENT message
From ex players, agents, management and media that these markets can sign players for less and can’t be used as comparable? Not very consistent.

If Marner makes dramatically more than rantanen and Aho. You may actually have made a point. Tonthis point it hasn’t happened yet.

2.) again I am being consistent. TRACK record matters. Total points, ppg etc all matter on your ELC.

Nylander has scored way more goals, way more points and has actually made the team in his first 3’years of his ELC. That’s why he gets paid more. Kapanen has less time
Because he didn’t make the team. Matthews gets more because he is a top 3 goal scorer In the league at 21 and has been a top 3 ELC scorer in the past 25’years combined. The fact that he did this despite AHL linemates, low minutes and pp2 time is more impressive. Sure. But if Matthews spent his first 2 years in the AHL and scored at a high pace in his third year. He wouldn’t get the same money. You have to see that right?

Track record and consistent production matter. That’s pretty consistent. Unless you are arguing that a player who spent 2
Years in the minors should get more than a proven 60 point player.

How about this. What do you think matters in contracts?

1.) what is a top 3 goal scorer at 21 worth on a 5 year contract?

2.) how much do you think,
Point, rantanen, Marner, aho should get?
3.) how much should kapanen get?

See... this is what I'm talking about when it comes to you being in denial. You clearly know you're wrong at this point, but you're dug in. You said that there is "no proof" that front loaded contracts create a tax advantage. I showed a link PROVING there was. At that point, you probably should have just admitted you were wrong about that one.

Instead, you've gone fully off the rails and have clung to a flat out nonsensical stance. By the way, the media ALSO makes a big deal about these front loaded contarcts as an unfair advantage for the big market teams. In regards to Tampa and Toronto, these "advantages"(both covered by the media) pretty much balance out. So you can't use that excuse (whatever you originally meant. It's been changed so many times).

I also love how with Nylander, his actual REAL points matter when compared to Kapanen, but with Matthews, it's "unfair" to cite his actual REAL points. (Career high 69 points).

You won't answer my Brayden Point question. The leafs front-loading advantage balances out Tampa's tax advantage. So let's leave that out of it.
Now let's look at YOUR arguments, and see if you can consistently apply them to Marner vs Point.

Point is CENTER. Point scored substantially more GOALS. Their numbers are almost identical otherwise. Marner will be Front-loaded and point will have lower taxes (which balance each other out).

Who deserves more?

Based on YOUR arguments, Point would deserve FAR more money than Marner (more goals, plays center). But you don't want to say that, do you? Look how hard you're avoiding the question.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
As @Pookie pointed out during the Nylander discussion, comparables go out the window as soon as another team is willing to bear the compensation and go the OS route and the player is willing to push for the money.

Do you think there would be any shortage of teams willing to OS Matthews at 4 years x 10.14? 3 years? 2?
Only Maple Leaf players can be offer sheeted, and as such, only the Maple leafs have to overpay their players out of fear of offer sheets? That seems like a weird rule.

Hopefully in the new cba they can fix the "only Toronto can be offer sheeted" rule.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Only Maple Leaf players can be offer sheeted, and as such, only the Maple leafs have to overpay their players out of fear of offer sheets? That seems like a weird rule.

Hopefully in the new cba they can fix the "only Toronto can be offer sheeted" rule.

Strawmanning to deflect away from your inability to understand the concept of leverage is pretty weak.

Answer the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad