4. Kucherov (25): 2.20 (6.11pp) --- A qoc
5. Gaudreau (25): 2.15 (3.05pp) --- A- qoc

Average of ES p/60 and p1/60

1. McDavid (22): 2.71 (5.29pp) --- A+ qoc
2. Matthews (21): 2.59 (6.00pp) -- A- qoc
3. Malkin (32): 2.56 (5.57pp) ------ B+ qoc
4. Kucherov (25): 2.54 (7.26pp) -- A qoc
5. Marchand (30): 2.44 (5.61pp) - A+ qoc

and of course not only is Matthews the youngest on all those lists, but he's the only one here whose rookie year is included in these numbers.

it's insane how lucky we are to have this kind super elite player.

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well no, because the only way you seem capable of cutting it is by direct comparison to McDavid's steal of a deal and then pouting that it's not as good

Mcdavid is the benchmark. Every contract should be matched up against McDavid. The poster is a little ridiculous in his stance against the contract. But this is not a good contract, I’d even say it’s a bad contract, for 5 years. But it’s completely reasonable to be upset that we didn’t get a “steal of a deal” with our guy when the best player in the world did it for... Edmonton

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
we traded kubina for garnet exelby. we signed mark fraser and Jeff finger.

we actually used a mclaren-orr line for most of a season.

It makes me want to scream at how short some folks’ memories can be.....

People claim they hated the Burke/Nonis years yet want to replicate that team’s structure.

Reactions: mavis

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Mcdavid is the benchmark. Every contract should be matched up against McDavid. The poster is a little ridiculous in his stance against the contract. But this is not a good contract, I’d even say it’s a bad contract, for 5 years. But it’s completely reasonable to be upset that we didn’t get a “steal of a deal” with our guy when the best player in the world did it for... Edmonton

It's a meh contract. It would have been nice to get him at 10.2. I'm bummed that it's as high as it is.
Moldaver alluded to responsibility. The McDavid contract was a complete anomaly, I suspect some of that responsibility was to prevent that anomaly from becoming the norm.

People forget leverage trumps salary comps. McDavid didn't use his, Matthews did. Sucks.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
we traded kubina for garnet exelby. we signed mark fraser and Jeff finger.

we actually used a mclaren-orr line for most of a season.

Wendel, Roberts, Tucker, Domi, Gilmour, Ramage, Sittler, McDonald, Horton, Pulford, Baun, McCoun, Tiger, Glen Anderson, Paiement, Salming, Turnbull, Glennie, Brewer, Stanley, Hillman, etc. etc. etc. To every side there is a flip side you might want to consider.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wendel, Roberts, Tucker, Domi, Gilmour, Ramage, Sittler, McDonald, Horton, Pulford, Baun, McCoun, Tiger, Glen Anderson, Paiement, Salming, Turnbull, Glennie, Brewer, Stanley, Hillman, etc. etc. etc. To every side there is a flip side you might want to consider.

all those cup rings there.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I was upset at first because it seemed ridiculous, but it's on par (cap hit %) with guys like Toews, Crosby, Kane who all took 5 year deals and stayed with the team.

Lets hope he finds as much success as those guys

Reactions: mavis and Menzinger

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
all those cup rings there.

Baun, Horton, Pulford, Stanley, Hillman, Gilmour, Roberts, McDonald have more than a few rings. There is a middle ground between being soft and being rock hard. We are too close to one side and need to move closer the other. Nobody on this board is campaigning to replace our skilled forwards with the Orrs, McLarens, Scott Garlands, Kurt Walkers, Brian Spencers, Kordics, Belaks of the world. We want to add one (1) Roberts, Clark, McDonald type forward in the same way we wanted a Muzzin on D.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
You said it would prevent us from getting the depth required to even be considered a contender
tenor.gif

Well no, because the only way you seem capable of cutting it is by direct comparison to McDavid's steal of a deal and then pouting that it's not as good
I'm saying it's a bad contract for more than one reason. Not switching the goalposts. Just adding to my argument.

These overpayments will really hurt us in the depth department, as well as my argument with McDavid.

Claiming "Edmonton's gm is just a lot better at his job than Dubas" doesn't make me feel any better about it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I
These overpayments will really hurt us in the depth department, as well as my argument with McDavid.

Claiming "Edmonton's gm is just a lot better at his job than Dubas" doesn't make me feel any better about it.

0/2. that's neither what you said, nor what I said.

You said "the leafs won't have the cap space to acquire the depth necessary to be legitimate contenders". Not that it would hurt us (obviously it does) but that unequivocally and as a direct result we would not be able to ice a contender.
It's sensationalist nonsense.

I said that McDavid's contract was a steal. I don't think the Oilers front office did anything more to earn that than they did to earn McDavid himself. He left money on the table. He could have named his price and someone would have paid.

It sucks that Matthews wasn't as much of a team player as McDavid, but it's not the end of the world.

Reactions: bax

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since he entered the league:

Even Strength Points Per 60 minutes

1. McDavid (22): 3.05 (6.29pp) --- A+ qoc
2. Kucherov (25): 2.88 (8.51pp) -- A qoc
3. Marchand (30): 2.79 (6.91pp) - A+ qoc
4. Malkin (32): 2.77 (6.89pp) ------ B+ qoc
5. Matthews (21): 2.76 (6.74pp) -- A- qoc

Even Strength Primary Points per 60 minutes

1. Matthews (21): 2.42 (5.26pp) --- A- qoc
2. McDavid (22): 2.36 (4.28pp) ---- A+ qoc
3. Malkin (32): 2.34 (4.24pp) ------- B+ qoc
4. Kucherov (25): 2.20 (6.11pp) --- A qoc
5. Gaudreau (25): 2.15 (3.05pp) --- A- qoc

Average of ES p/60 and p1/60

1. McDavid (22): 2.71 (5.29pp) --- A+ qoc
2. Matthews (21): 2.59 (6.00pp) -- A- qoc
3. Malkin (32): 2.56 (5.57pp) ------ B+ qoc
4. Kucherov (25): 2.54 (7.26pp) -- A qoc
5. Marchand (30): 2.44 (5.61pp) - A+ qoc

and of course not only is Matthews the youngest on all those lists, but he's the only one here whose rookie year is included in these numbers.

it's insane how lucky we are to have this kind super elite player.

now I know some think these stats are silly.

but just ask yourself one simple question: do you think Dubas thinks they're silly?

Reactions: bax and Menzinger

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don't think it's a bad contract all. The cap is going to be in an entire different place in a few years.

And think Matthews will perform to the level of his contract and re-sign with the leafs in five years.

Also laugh at people here thinking they could have done a better job when the most high value thing they've ever negotiated is more lettuce on their Subway sandwich.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It's a great deal for Matthews and players around the league. Agents have already openly mused the deal has them licking their chops.

I don't think it is a massive overpayment but it is anything but a great deal.
Same percentage as Malkin and Crosby coming off their ELCs.

Reactions: Menzinger

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Agree.
Cherry picking to support a point of view is intellectually lazy.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Matthews is the best player in the league and will go down in hockey history as better than Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. He will be considered one of the best goal scorers in hockey history.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is the best player in the league and will go down in hockey history as better than Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid. He will be considered one of the best goal scorers in hockey history.

Let's not get too excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->