Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Tavares signed............check
Nylander signed..........check
Mathews signed...........Check
Marner coming right up..........check

Um what was it that all the haters said....... we can't sign all of them?
Dubas...we can and we will!
I guess he forgot to add "at the expense of our team being competitive thereafter..."

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Think it’s the fault of the Toronto media and fans hyping this guy up so much- that’s why he is so overpaid now. How he got more than 2 million more than Kucherov is beyond me. Kucherov signed 9.5 only half a year ago, for an 8 year term, has 2 40 goal years and well on his way to his second 100 point season but somehow Matthews is worth 2 mil more

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Think it’s the fault of the Toronto media and fans hyping this guy up so much- that’s why he is so overpaid now. How he got more than 2 million more than Kucherov is beyond me. Kucherov signed 9.5 only half a year ago, for an 8 year term, has 2 40 goal years and well on his way to his second 100 point season but somehow Matthews is worth 2 mil more
Just wait till Zeke gets in here with his "But Matthews has far less 2 men short handed offsides when down precisely 3 goals during only the 4th quarter of the 3rd period" type stats to rationalize the overpayment.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Just wait till Zeke gets in here with his "But Matthews has far less 2 men short handed offsides when down precisely 3 goals during only the 4th quarter of the 3rd period" type stats to rationalize the overpayment.

Wait you can actually still see his garbage?

HUH, you are a better man then I.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The more and more I think of this the more I can't believe Dubas went with a 5 year term.

He absolutely needed to go 6+, having Matthews expire before JT makes signing Matthews extremely difficult. Would have been worth the extra little bit of AAV.

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
After ALL the spin and lies by the propagandists.... it's exactly as leaf fan realists thought it would be. These overpayments have created a TON of drama, as shown by Marners agent.

this is a ridiculous deal that will cost us millions in aav in the marner negotiations, as did the nylander deal (not even talking about the jt +1 yr left situation). i'm beginning to lose interest in this bunch of greedy youngsters who haven't won anything, but are demanding cash as if there were no tomorrow. and the worst thing is dubas giving it to them.

Reactions: Al14 and Faltorvo

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
The insider comments like "Matthews did take a discount, an 8 year term would have been in the 14M dollar range"
Those are a joke. If he really wanted a discount, he wouldn't have asked for such a stupidly high number in the first place.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
The insider comments like "Matthews did take a discount, an 8 year term would have been in the 14M dollar range"
Those are a joke. If he really wanted a discount, he wouldn't have asked for such a stupidly high number in the first place.
If it was an actual good contract, the media wouldn't be fumbling through damage control. It would just be a contract and everyone would be happy.
You can tell how disgraceful this contract is by looking at all the attempted damage control.
It's so bad that now even other leaf PLAYERS and their agents are complaining about it.

Snyplander

Apr 7, 2016
Ontario
Funny how everyone hated Gardiner after game 7 last year and a few weeks ago this year, and now it's "OMG We are going to lose him thanks to selfish Matthews! Disgusting!". Not the best contract and not ideal, but it is fair and in the direction contracts are currently going.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Dubas should prioritized signing our 3 kids and improving our D instead of making a ufa the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL and hoping the 3 kids took discounts to make up for JT's deal .

and how are they being greedy ? Mitch and Mathews are both better players than JT so why should they take less than him?
Well, it seems like a bit of a moving target when factoring in peers,the 'going rate',rfa years, ufa prices ,the affordability of the team,the cap restrictions,being conscious of whether or not star players can be surrounded by team mates that are competent,so winning is a reality.
The only reservation I have about the money being paid to these lads is are they leaving enough to ice a cup contender,if not ,then adios. This concept should be easily presented to them by Dubas. You guys wanna win? We can't pay you that much! Period. If winning really is secondary,I don't even wanna know them...give me the 4 1sts and I keep the money to sign players with integrity.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Dubas should prioritized signing our 3 kids and improving our D instead of making a ufa the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL and hoping the 3 kids took discounts to make up for JT's deal .

and how are they being greedy ? Mitch and Mathews are both better players than JT so why should they take less than him?
This weird denial of reality is peculiar.

It's as though you're just pretending/hoping we all don't know that ufa's have more leverage and get bigger pay days, and that that's the way it's always been.

"I just don't understand.... This guy that was playing every gm in the league against each other was able to leverage his way into a better deal than the young unproven guys who's rights are owned outright by the team that drafted them."

Like... what the f*** are you confused about?

Reactions: Faltorvo

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
That's true. That sure makes me feel better. The player we just dramatically overpaid also has a history of being injury prone. Thanks. Feel much better.
Dramatically? maybe have a sedative of sorts! I gather you don't think he is 'worth 'it? based on his lack of production,or the players being used as his peers,or the accolades from other players and coaches. Everybody in hockey thinks he is awesome! Why don't you?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Dramatically? maybe have a sedative of sorts! I gather you don't think he is 'worth 'it? based on his lack of production,or the players being used as his peers,or the accolades from other players and coaches. Everybody in hockey thinks he is awesome! Why don't you?
Because "being awesome" still has a dollar limit based on accomplishments. We just paid our 69 point career high player similar money (once term is included) as a rival team payed their 100 point hart trophy winner.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Because "being awesome" still has a dollar limit based on accomplishments. We just paid our 69 point career high player similar money (once term is included) as a rival team payed their 100 point hart trophy winner.
So what? You see a 69 point player...looks to me like most see an all star,a very high goal scoring center. He is also very highly rated defensively. These guys don't come along every day ya know. Don't get stuck on the 69 point aspect,I suggest you watch him play a little more closely. As a fan,do I think it's too much money? Hell yeah! But ,the goal is to ice a cup contender and I think they are on their way. Also, do you think other teams wouldn't pay Matthews that coin?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Kinda more in a way. We got 5 years and they got 8. I don't know, I think this contract, because of it's nature and overpayment is going to be a team rocker. I think it's going to be really nasty and by that worse than Nylander and his 11% overpay. We're talking about probably something like a 20% overpay on this thing. It's insane.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
So what? You see a 69 point player...looks to me like most see an all star,a very high goal scoring center. He is also very highly rated defensively. These guys don't come along every day ya know. Don't get stuck on the 69 point aspect,I suggest you watch him play a little more closely. As a fan,do I think it's too much money? Hell yeah! But ,the goal is to ice a cup contender and I think they are on their way. Also, do you think other teams wouldn't pay Matthews that coin?
Ah, the stats and numbers don't matter. Everybody just deserves McDavid money in attempts to become "cup contenders". Good argument.

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Kinda more in a way. We got 5 years and they got 8. I don't know, I think this contract, because of it's nature and overpayment is going to be a team rocker. I think it's going to be really nasty and by that worse than Nylander and his 11% overpay. We're talking about probably something like a 20% overpay on this thing. It's insane.
Yep. When this whole team falls apart (and I'm pretty much certain that is what will happen now), we'll all look back at the Nylander contract as the first hint, and the Matthews contract as the catalyst.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So Dubas, Pridham, and Gilman, all well renowned for being extremely high end hockey minds, and one who helped devise the salary cap, are clueless?

They did this deal without a plan?
There’s no way that they haven’t thought this through, and planned for the years ahead?

I’m not buying that.

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Ah, the stats and numbers don't matter. Everybody just deserves McDavid money in attempts to become "cup contenders". Good argument.
Since when are points the only aspect when considering a players worth? So ,Dmen who do their job ,but get 10 /15 points a year should be making league minimum?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So Dubas, Pridham, and Gilman, all well renowned for being extremely high end hockey minds, and one who helped devise the salary cap, are clueless?

They did this deal without a plan?
There’s no way that they haven’t thought this through, and planned for the years ahead?

I’m not buying that.

Sure it's a plan. There is one option...

Nylander and Matthews are bonus based front loaded contracts. We use them for 3-4 years and trade them if we don't win. Nylander has a contract designed to be traded next season.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Since when are points the only aspect when considering a players worth? So ,Dmen who do their job ,but get 10 /15 points a year should be making league minimum?
Actually, yes, stay at home defensemen make SUBSTANTIALLY less money than the point getters.

But I have absolutely no idea what defensive defensemen have to do with comparing scoring forwards to other scoring forwards.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Sure it's a plan. There is one option...

Nylander and Matthews are bonus based front loaded contracts. We use them for 3-4 years and trade them if we don't win. Nylander has a contract designed to be traded next season.

I’m not buying the doom and gloom going on here. These guys aren’t stupid. Something is definitely in motion, and I agree, Willy is probably a big part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad