Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
These "Rookie Dubas got played" threads are getting tired.

Clearly times are a'changin in the NHL, McJesus set the bar, look no further than Eichel.

It is easy to argue our young high paid studs havent won anything, but as a long time fan I feel alot closer than in alot of previous years. I have no problem paying 4-5 very good players, mostly young with room to grow.

Most every media outlet and chatroom expected this was about the number, many said alot higher.

Just getting tired of online geniuses (ok mostly haters on the main forum) predicting doom and gloom, when we have been thrust into the new FA world with a storm of young RFA talent all at the same time.

I think overall we are doing about right and Nobody in hockey Lou or otherwise could do much better based on current climate and our young guys numbers.

I would trade Matthews for McDavid in a heartbeat and be laughing knowing what their contracts are now.

Reactions: dsred and great

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
@HouseofBuggins You do realize that Lou has signed more contracts than just Zaitsev right?

Lou signed Rielly, Kadri, Andersen to steal contracts. And Lou's career track record on contracts is quite good.

One outlier does not mean he would be bad on Matthews, Nylander deals.

Its quite clear Dubas is getting bent over the table due to his inexperience.

Matthews got overpaid by at least 1 M and closer to 1.5 M. We paid a 7 year AAV for 5 years.

93% of McDavid AAV for 37% less term for a player who has no silverware aside from Calder. Remember McDavid got a Hart that year and Art Ross.

You think he was over paid by 1.5mill? Most everyone was guessing 11mill and he's only 600k above that. The issue is the amount of time. But you are delusional if you think he was going to sign for 10mill for any amount of time.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Time to reunite him with Nylander.

Gonna need that line in beast mode come playoffs.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I would trade Matthews for McDavid in a heartbeat and be laughing knowing what their contracts are now.
Yep. That's the metric. And the whole "McDavid signed earlier" doesn't even mean anything, being that he's signed for TWO MORE f***ING YEARS THAN MATTHEWS STILL.

Reactions: Faltorvo

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
i agree , Shanny always looked out for himself as has Babs so i don't know why anyone would believe the players should now take one for the team when no one else has
Take one for the team ? The team you want to win with?That team? They aren't gonna win without a decent supporting cast of team mates...so how is greed a good thing here?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
We're at the point where this dramatic overpayment has created drama not just with fans, but now with our other superstars agent.

And the propagandists are STILL in denial...

"DRAMATIC OVERPAYMENT" lol.

Another genius that could clearly do better ignoring climate and current market value.

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
This contract makes the Nylander contract look like the MacKinnon deal.

This contract is a travesty compared to Eichel's and McDavid's deals and makes Tavares' UFA signing look like a minor league contract.

How do you give up this much for 1 UFA year? And a NMC/NTC in that one UFA year as well? 2nd highest cap hit in the league for a player that isn't PPG over his career, has a 69 point career high in points and has no major hardware or even trophy nominations outside the Calder. He's a top 10 centre in the league and a top 3 goal scorer, but this isn't a guy in the conversation for the best player in the world yet. His playoff stats, injuries, consistency and effort are also issues.

This is an unprecedented contract. A player two tiers below McDavid is making less than a million dollars fewer for 3 fewer years. A player on the same level or slightly better than Eichel is making 1.6 million dollars more than him for 3 fewer years. A UFA Tavares with two Hart nominations, a Art Ross runner up and many PPG seasons in a lower scoring NHL is making 600k less than Matthews with 1 UFA year bought up for 2 more seasons.

Matthews better start playing like a top 3 player in the world and deliver in the playoffs, or life in Toronto isn't going to be that great for him anymore.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This contract makes the Nylander contract look like the MacKinnon deal.

This contract is a travesty compared to Eichel's and McDavid's deals and makes Tavares' UFA signing look like a minor league contract.

How do you give up this much for 1 UFA year? And a NMC/NTC in that one UFA year as well? 2nd highest cap hit in the league for a player that isn't PPG over his career, has a 69 point career high in points and has no major hardware or even trophy nominations outside the Calder. He's a top 10 centre in the league and a top 3 goal scorer, but this isn't a guy in the conversation for the best player in the world yet. His playoff stats, injuries, consistency and effort are also issues.

This is an unprecedented contract. A player two tiers below McDavid is making less than a million dollars fewer for 3 fewer years. A player on the same level or slightly better than Eichel is making 1.6 million dollars more than him for 3 fewer years. A UFA Tavares with two Hart nominations, a Art Ross runner up and many PPG seasons in a lower scoring NHL is making 600k less than Matthews with 1 UFA year bought up for 2 more seasons.

Matthews better start playing like a top 3 player in the world and deliver in the playoffs, or life in Toronto isn't going to be that great for him anymore.

Exactly this.

Reactions: Al14 and TopCheese

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Another genius that could clearly do better ignoring climate and current market value.

"climate of current market value".

Yep, that's what leaf fans are calling it to try and make themselves feel better.

I'll believe it when I see it. I have a funny feeling that other gm's that aren't as shitty as ours will just give out better contracts.

Why is Marner's agent so angry if it's just (lol) "changing market values". What a joke.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Take one for the team ? The team you want to win with?That team? They aren't gonna win without a decent supporting cast of team mates...so how is greed a good thing here?
Dubas should prioritized signing our 3 kids and improving our D instead of making a ufa the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL and hoping the 3 kids took discounts to make up for JT's deal .

and how are they being greedy ? Mitch and Mathews are both better players than JT so why should they take less than him?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

You mean you wouldn't trade Matthews for McDavid in a heartbeat? Some of those geniuses in the media thought that if Matthews had to go longer on term, they needed to pay him $13 to $14 million AAV, and that's not even for 8 years...what climate are you talking about? The climate of greed?

Reactions: Al14 and dsred

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You think he was over paid by 1.5mill? Most everyone was guessing 11mill and he's only 600k above that. The issue is the amount of time. But you are delusional if you think he was going to sign for 10mill for any amount of time.
you can't separate the term from the cap hit

11.6 x 8yrs is reasonable

11.6 x 5yrs is Dubas being an incompetent fool

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
People are making it out as if what is at most a $1m/year overpayment on Matthews is the end of the world.

The real problem contracts are Marleau and Zaitsev, who are combining for almost $11m... and performing at replacement level.

This. These 2 contracts are crippling the Leafs much more than Matthews' contract or Marner's supposed ask. Had we not had those 2 contracts, Leafs probably could have given Matthews the 13x8 and Marner around 10-11 x 8. I daresay, the real judge of Dubas' worth will be how he deals with Marleau and Zaitsev as they do not provide adequate value.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Tavares signed............check
Nylander signed..........check
Mathews signed...........Check
Marner coming right up..........check

Um what was it that all the haters said....... we can't sign all of them?
Dubas...we can and we will!

Reactions: Its not your fault

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Dubas should prioritized signing our 3 kids and improving our D instead of making a ufa the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL and hoping the 3 kids took discounts to make up for JT's deal .

and how are they being greedy ? Mitch and Mathews are both better players than JT so why should they take less than him?

He literally did that last week, a move you've failed to mention since it happened. If you're going to be on the guy for every mistake you should be willing to at least give him credit for addressing the team's biggest weakness.

Reactions: thunder16

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He literally did that last week, a move you've failed to mention since it happened. If you're going to be on the guy for every mistake you should be willing to at least give him credit for addressing the team's biggest weakness.
I didn't comment on the Muzzin trade because i was going to give it a few weeks to see how he performs and fits into the team .

the price was a little steep but he's the type of D we needed albeit if he was a right shot it would have been an even better fit and while it's only been a few games he performed well and Dubas should be given credit for addressing a glaring need

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yep. That's the metric. And the whole "McDavid signed earlier" doesn't even mean anything, being that he's signed for TWO MORE ****ING YEARS THAN MATTHEWS STILL.

UMMM well waffles

Mcdavid actually signed for 3 more years then Mytthews did.

Please don't hit me.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Lebrun brought up a good point, the Blackhawks and Penguins both went with 5 year deals for Toews/Kane and Crosby/Malkin after their entry level deals.

here is what Lebrun forgot to mention

Toews/Kane had SCF, WCF appearances with cup

Crosby had an art-ross; 2 hundred point seasons, trip to the SCF
Malkin had 2 hunderd point season and a trip to the SCF

before they sign the cap% deals for 5 years

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad