Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Jack Eichel signed his contract for 13.3% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Connor McDavid signed for 16.67% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Auston Matthews just signed for 14.63% of the cap.

I think most would agree that Matthews is better than Eichel. I also think most (if not all) believe that McDavid is the best of the three. Matthews Cap% lands him between Eichel and McDavid, but closer to Eichel.

So I don’t really see the issue here. Matthews got the money he deserves. Would it be nice if he took less? Absolutely.

This analysis would make sense if it was an 8 year deal like the comparables you mention but the fact that you completely ignored the term makes this analysis useless.

But since last summer the talk was that he would get a Cap% in the McDavid range. Clearly that wouldn’t work for the team as the Leafs are trying to compete, and he did in fact take a discount for 3 less years.

There was talk? LOL who cares. Talk all you want, that doesn't change the fact that that McDavid is worth more than Matthews, period.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So frustrating when people can't be happy that our superstar is locked up for 5 more years. Seriously, take a step back and realize that this is a situation we were all begging for 3 years ago.
And some of you think your smarter than dubas and his team? Laughable.

We're in a great spot in Toronto and I couldn't be happier.

And yes, Matthews is slightly overpayed, but that could all change in the next 6 years anyways

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So frustrating when people can't be happy that our superstar is locked up for 5 more years. Seriously, take a step back and realize that this is a situation we were all begging for 3 years ago.
And some of you think your smarter than dubas and his team? Laughable.

We're in a great spot in Toronto and I couldn't be happier.

And yes, Matthews is slightly overpayed, but that could all change in the next 6 years anyways

Spot.
On.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This analysis would make sense if it was an 8 year deal like the comparables you mention but the fact that you completely ignored the term makes this analysis useless.

There was talk? LOL who cares. Talk all you want, that doesn't change the fact that that McDavid is worth more than Matthews, period.

Do you mean 59 million over 8 or 93 over 8? Same 11.7 cap hit.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Do you mean 59 million over 8 or 93 over 8? Same 11.7 cap hit.

Same cap hit. I agree McDavid>Matthews>Eichel so if they were all signed for 8 years then the way the cap hits line up would make sense. As it is, Matthews got a deal that's arguably better than what McDavid got which doesn't seem right. Not the end of the world, but not good news for Leaf fans either.

Reactions: Al14

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
This fan base is big and therefore full of ***** who think they know better than nhl gms and nhl coaches (me included on the coaches one sometimes haha). Salary cap didn’t do it, fans who beleive they could of signed matthews cheaper and are livid with the deal as a result.

Essentially a lot of delusion in the fanbase
They think they know the cap structure better than the guy who actually wrote it lol

Reactions: Walshy7

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The only real opinion you can have on the matter is - "it is what it is." Bitch all you want, it ain't gonna change.

Let's face the facts.

• It was never gonna be a number people were happy with.
  • It's higher than I was hoping but niether side really consulted me plus I am a little biased.
  • It's much lower than it could have been. Matthews left likely $50M or more on the table, which is mind-blowing to me, and took a shorter deal so that we could bring the cap down. To me, that is a team guy. He could have insisted on a full 8-year deal and we would have been in huge trouble.
  • If you're comparing it to McDavid's $12.5 - you're an idiot. You would have to compare it to McDavid's real market value + inflation. Matthew's agent isn't going to use the $12.5 and give a discount on a discount.
  • It really doesn't matter how much they pay Matthews, as long as his cap hit doesn't handcuff the team which has yet to be seen and there are many, very smart, cap people in Leaf's mgmt that don't seem to think it will.
  • Leafs have two franchise centers down the middle for the next 6 playoff runs at a combined cap hit of $22.6M which isn't too bad.
  • Most of all, Matthews is happy. Anyone who would've hard-balled and browbeaten our best player, and likely next captain, into accepting an uncomfortable contract should receive a lifetime ban from ever discussing Leaf business. $11.6M for one of the best scoring, most promising generational players in the game is a fair deal. You wanna be pissed because it's not a lop-sided deal, give your head a shake.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Same cap hit. I agree McDavid>Matthews>Eichel so if they were all signed for 8 years then the way the cap hits line up would make sense. As it is, Matthews got a deal that's arguably better than what McDavid got which doesn't seem right. Not the end of the world, but not good news for Leaf fans either.

But in no way does it hinder the Leafs plans in the next 5 yrs.

Reactions: thunder16

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
A day later I’m fine with this deal. Glad Auston took less money and less term instead of going 8x13. Gives us 5 year window with an extra 2 million cap. That might be 5 years of AJ or Kapanen type players

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's true. Now let's get Marner done, same dollars as Matthews but an 8 year term works for me. Then we can think about other things. :)

Yep.

I’m just not sure why some posters think 11.7 x 5 closes the window, but 11.7 x8 keeps it open.

Makes zero sense.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting that Matthews camp initially wanted a longer term but we couldn't come together and the years went down. So it wasn't his sides preference.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why do we assume it would be any different?

Is this how people cope with this?
Lou and Dubas are two different people.
Who is coping with what?
Just a meaningless observation like everything else here.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why do we assume it would be any different?

Is this how people cope with this?

The difference is, Tavares probably would not have signed.

For that matter, I don’t know if Matthews would have either.....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he had signed 11.6 x 8, this year plus next 5 years are still exactly the same.

Not gonna lose sleep over how the team is gonna look 6 years from now. Don't know what the NHL will be like with the new CBA.

And that’s exactly what the player is looking at.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
McDavid got 16.68% on an 8 year deal. 15% seems proper for Matthews and on an 83M cap he should be 12.45M on an 8 year deal. We can bump it to 12.5M flat x 8 years... Fair deal for both sides no?

Sure. But the Cap Hit is higher over the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad