Confirmed with Link: Matthews new deal Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m not buying the doom and gloom going on here. These guys aren’t stupid. Something is definitely in motion, and I agree, Willy is probably a big part of it.

The contracts are designed to be offloaded. That's for sure.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews and Marner will be our Crosby and Malkin. Willy is temporary.

It's fine if you think that but... Matthews on July 2nd 2021 will have 3 saesons and 16.5m owed to him. Designed for trade, as was Williams deal.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Matthews and Marner will be our Crosby and Malkin. Willy is temporary.

No

Matthews and Tavares are our Crosby and Malkin

If Nylander is expendable so is Marner and i honestly dont care if either of them gets moved, if Marners father and agent won't shut there wide open traps they can get ****** to

Reactions: Walshy7

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Actually, yes, stay at home defensemen make SUBSTANTIALLY less money than the point getters.

But I have absolutely no idea what defensive defensemen have to do with comparing scoring forwards to other scoring forwards.
Kinda was hoping you could see folly in using only points as a measurement of a players worth. Besides,there isn't a Gm in the league who would be able to get Auston for less money,in fact,I bet most would place a blank chq in front of him. Winning means more money,teams want to win. Leafs have a better chance of winning with him than without him. How much would you have paid?

Reactions: griffon1

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No

Matthews and Tavares are our Crosby and Malkin

If Nylander is expendable so is Marner and i honestly dont care if either of them gets moved, if Marners father and agent won't shut there wide open traps they can get ****** to

You folks need to log off and calm down. This place is imploding.

Reactions: Polaris1010

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I don’t feel any better about this contract hours later.

5 year term should have brought the aav down much more. The talk of Matthews wanting the 16.68% CH % on an 8 year deal I am reading now is a joke. I’d tell Matthews to go out and win a few Art Ross trophies and Hart trophies and get back to me if I was told that was the ask.

Now we have this Marner stuff and I think it’s because no one respects Dubas. This wouldn’t happen under Lou. Nylander got a little overpaid but whatever, no drama. Math wasn’t incredibly far off.

Now Dubas signs the franchise player to the 2nd highest aav in the league and only got 5 year term, brutal. Lou said when you have time, use it. We have 5 months until July 1st, I would not have rushed to sign this contract because everything went in the players favour here.

Now we have Marner’s agent publicly coming out and questioning the Matthews contract and saying they’re getting low balled.

Questioning if we have the right guy running the show right now.

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
OMG stop saying mean things about Dubas guys!

We can and we will!

All the cherry picked advanced stats I could find show that every move Dubas has made as a GM of the Leafs has been incredible and the work of a genius.

But anywho, who really cares about all these numbers anyways.

Look at Dubas flossing!

Look how down to earth our new age GM is.

He'd never hand out ridiculous unprecedented RFA overpays like that old boys club dinosaur Chia! Our GM is in tune with the new age NHL and modern NHL agents.

Reactions: dsred and griffon1

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Lou said when you have time, use it.

My comment isn't directly in response to you but you included this part and I think it's worth discussing. To me, that Lou line about using time when you have it has been a fatal flaw in the plan, particularly this year after the John Tavares addition. We all knew this Leafs forward group had high-end talent and depth and was likely to produce very well. Giving an opportunity to someone like Marner to play along-side the best center of his career on a consistent basis sThat's come true and now waiting to re-up the core players until either during this season or after the season has ended up costing the Leafs cap wise. Now maybe it was Matthews and Marner's camps who didn't want to sign in the offseason rather than the team as they could see the opportunity but to me, this predictable offensive success has cost the Leafs cap situation a lot. Being more proactive in getting deals done earlier likely would have helped.

Last edited:

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
The deal is ok and most pundits seem to agree. We're doing far better under Dubas than the awful signings old Lou was making, or failing to make.

Reactions: Walshy7

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Really makes you appreciate a guy like Tavares.

He signed a 5.5M contract out of his ELC. At the time, Kane/Toews were at 6.3M, Kopitar at 6.8M, etc, and Tavares signed after them under a higher cap ceiling too.

Then he comes to the Leafs for 11M, despite allegedly being offered ~13M or so by SJ.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Jack Eichel signed his contract for 13.3% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Connor McDavid signed for 16.67% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Auston Matthews just signed for 14.63% of the cap.

I think most would agree that Matthews is better than Eichel. I also think most (if not all) believe that McDavid is the best of the three. Matthews Cap% lands him between Eichel and McDavid, but closer to Eichel.

So I don’t really see the issue here. Matthews got the money he deserves. Would it be nice if he took less? Absolutely.

But since last summer the talk was that he would get a Cap% in the McDavid range. Clearly that wouldn’t work for the team as the Leafs are trying to compete, and he did in fact take a discount for 3 less years.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I hate that the salary cap has done this to this fanbase

This fan base is big and therefore full of :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: who think they know better than nhl gms and nhl coaches (me included on the coaches one sometimes haha). Salary cap didn’t do it, fans who beleive they could of signed matthews cheaper and are livid with the deal as a result.

Essentially a lot of delusion in the fanbase

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This fan base is big and therefore full of ***** who think they know better than nhl gms and nhl coaches (me included on the coaches one sometimes haha). Salary cap didn’t do it, fans who beleive they could of signed matthews cheaper and are livid with the deal as a result.

I just to go back to the old days where people arent booing our best players for signing 5 year deals to stay with the team through its Cup window.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This contract makes the Nylander contract look like the MacKinnon deal.

This contract is a travesty compared to Eichel's and McDavid's deals and makes Tavares' UFA signing look like a minor league contract.

How do you give up this much for 1 UFA year? And a NMC/NTC in that one UFA year as well? 2nd highest cap hit in the league for a player that isn't PPG over his career, has a 69 point career high in points and has no major hardware or even trophy nominations outside the Calder. He's a top 10 centre in the league and a top 3 goal scorer, but this isn't a guy in the conversation for the best player in the world yet. His playoff stats, injuries, consistency and effort are also issues.

This is an unprecedented contract. A player two tiers below McDavid is making less than a million dollars fewer for 3 fewer years. A player on the same level or slightly better than Eichel is making 1.6 million dollars more than him for 3 fewer years. A UFA Tavares with two Hart nominations, a Art Ross runner up and many PPG seasons in a lower scoring NHL is making 600k less than Matthews with 1 UFA year bought up for 2 more seasons.

Matthews better start playing like a top 3 player in the world and deliver in the playoffs, or life in Toronto isn't going to be that great for him anymore.

Yep. McDavid should be making 13.5 or 14 million. His agent, who is owner friendly, really messed up.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I just to get to go back to the old days where people arent booing our best players for signing 5 year deals to stay with the team through its Cup window.

While so many beleive they could do better. I mean think about that posters are saying things like “5 years I would of gone to 8” like it’s as simple as dubas saying oh Auston what about 8 years instead of 5?. Delusions of grandeur here mate this board has got worse and worse since we drafted matthews. I joined up then and it was wayyyyy better

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I hate that the salary cap has done this to this fanbase

Jack Eichel signed his contract for 13.3% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Connor McDavid signed for 16.67% of the cap at the time it was signed.

Auston Matthews just signed for 14.63% of the cap.

I think most would agree that Matthews is better than Eichel. I also think most (if not all) believe that McDavid is the best of the three. Matthews Cap% lands him between Eichel and McDavid, but closer to Eichel.

So I don’t really see the issue here. Matthews got the money he deserves. Would it be nice if he took less? Absolutely.

But since last summer the talk was that he would get a Cap% in the McDavid range. Clearly that wouldn’t work for the team as the Leafs are trying to compete, and he did in fact take a discount for 3 less years.

This fan base is big and therefore full of ***** who think they know better than nhl gms and nhl coaches (me included on the coaches one sometimes haha). Salary cap didn’t do it, fans who beleive they could of signed matthews cheaper and are livid with the deal as a result.

I just to get to go back to the old days where people arent booing our best players for signing 5 year deals to stay with the team through its Cup window.

I was starting to lose hope that there were any rational fans left.

We can just cheer together while the rest yell at Dubas instead of watching the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad