Matthews,Marner,Nylander Vs Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt for the future?

Which trio would you choose for the future?and why?

• Matthews,Marner,Nylander

Votes: 131 34.0%
  • Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt

Votes: 254 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I said this before and I will say it again. Maybe 5 years from now it won't be crazy to say that Marner might be the second best player from the 2015 draft class after McDavid.

It's possible but I wouldn't bet on it at all.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
We've done this before.

Eichel has him beat in 5v5 p/60, 5v5 p1/60...

All against the other team's best defenceman

That has nothing to do with what I said. But keep posting it, maybe that poster who cares a whole lot more than me can come back and correct you again...

The facts are, Eichel was suppose to be Mcdavid level (according to a lot of Sabers fans) when in reality he is a litle below Matthews level, likely closer to Marner level. Don't get me wrong that still a top tier NHLer, but Jack is no where near what we were told he would be.

Edit: Do you pay rent in them is thread? There's no way they let you live in here for free! Get outside, it's summer time!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The facts are, Eichel was suppose to be Mcdavid level (according to a lot of Sabers fans) when in reality he is a litle below Matthews level, likely closer to Marner level. Don't get me wrong that still a top tier NHLer, but Jack is no where near what we were told he would be.
I think part of the problem for that is the hype Eichel got from the media and the way a lot of Sabres fans wanted to tank knowing that if they didn't get McDavid, at least worst case they still get Eichel by finishing last place overall in 2015. So I can't see him even being in the same category as McDavid.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
That has nothing to do with what I said. But keep posting it, maybe that poster who cares a whole lot more than me can come back and correct you again...

Edit: Do you pay rent in them is thread? There's no way they let you live in here for free! Get outside, it's summer time!
Come on lol you Leafers are a hoot. Jack is an absolute stud and hasn't been a disappointment at all. Like not at all. He's in the very same tier as Matthews, could easily end up better as he continues to mature, and is absolutely ahead of Marner which shouldn't need to even be said. Neither of your guys would have done better in Jack's situation which you are definitely inferring.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Hmm which trio...the one that has already put together 2 back to back playoff appearances and helped their team to 95 and 105 point seasons or the other trio, two of which who haven't even played a single NHL game and the other who still hasn't been able to lift its team out of the bottom 5 of the NHL or score more than 25 goals in his 3 NHL seasons...hmm, SO DIFFICULT!

Absurd poll.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Well if you want we can trade you Hyman and Brown for O'Reilly and Reinhart.

What a random retort.

My point still stands. Eichel is the only consistent ES scorer on the Sabres and he is doing well for himself in a bad situation. Reinhart and ROR have less than half of the ES points per game that Eichel does. Also Eichel does not play with O'Reilly, and didn't play much with Reinhart this year.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The bolded is revisionist history. On the Sabres board I assure you most people did not think that he was McDavid level. It seems that you saw a small number of Sabres fans claim that, and foolishly assumed it was representative of everyone. There were Leafs fans at the beginning of the year claiming that Matthews was the best player in the world (see McDavid vs Matthews thread).

Also I'm not sure what you're referring to but where was I ever corrected in this thread?

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Realistically
Eichel = Matthews
Dahlin >> Marner
and Mittelstadt = Nylander

OR if you wanna look at it this way

Dahlin > Matthews
Eichel > Marner
Mittelstadt = Nylander

Whatever way you stack it, buffalo's core is better. Buffalo wins a cup before toronto does again.

What a trash post

Mittlestad is equal to Nylander? C’mon man and Dahlin=Matthews? Sabres fan better hope he’s a top 10 d-man in the league

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Hmm which trio...the one that has already put together 2 back to back playoff appearances and helped their team to 95 and 105 point seasons or the other trio, two of which who haven't even played a single NHL game and the other who still hasn't been able to lift its team out of the bottom 5 of the NHL or score more than 25 goals in his 3 NHL seasons...hmm, SO DIFFICULT!

Absurd poll.
And yet your golden boys are rightfully losing, absurd TO goggles.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I want to see Dahlin in the NHL first (and more of Mittelstadt) so I'd probably lean TO right now.

If all players hit their projected peaks I'd favour the Sabres because of Dahlin, but Leafs right now.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think Dahlin and Middlestadt are two great prospects, but in this poll sabres fans are just assuming they both hit their expected top end potential. It is just as likely that at least one of the two falls at least a bit below their hype (Middlestadt becomes a decent top 6 player or Dahlin becomes "just" an average #1).

Just look at Reinhart, he was a better prospect than Middlestadt.

The Leafs trio has all proven themselves and at worst has similar potential as the Buffalo trio. For now, its easily the Leafs with the potential for Buffalo to catch up and possibly take over in a few years.

As of now:

Matthews > Eichel
Dahlin > Marner
Middlestadt < Nylander

Sabres management would trade the #1 pick for Matthews in an instant. So for the few that say Dahlin over Matthews, that is just silly.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think Dahlin and Middlestadt are two great prospects, but in this poll sabres fans are just assuming they both hit their expected top end potential. It is just as likely that at least one of the two falls at least a bit below their hype (Middlestadt becomes a decent top 6 player or Dahlin becomes "just" an average #1).

Just look at Reinhart, he was a better prospect than Middlestadt.

The Leafs trio has all proven themselves and at worst has similar potential as the Buffalo trio. For now, its easily the Leafs with the potential for Buffalo to catch up and possibly take over in a few years.

As of now:

Matthews > Eichel
Dahlin > Marner
Middlestadt < Nylander

Sabres management would trade the #1 pick for Matthews in an instant.So for the few that say Dahlin over Matthews, that is just silly.

No, they wouldn't. Lol, you really believe that? D is our biggest need and C is our biggest strength. Dahlin happens to be the best prospect at his position in almost half a century.

Dahlin and Mittlestadt do not need to hit their absolute ceilings for the Sabres to win here. The Leafs trio is good but not so good that it will take a crazy amount of fortune for the Sabres to be better. It's not Kane/Keith/Toews.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
There was another poll not long ago in which William Nylander was losing to Mittelstadt...I mean a guy who has already put up back to back 60+ point seasons as a 20 and 21 year old along with a respectable 8 points in 13 career playoff games losing to a guy who has grand total of 5 career NHL points...its utter nonsense, the definition of absurdity.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...Eichel has had absolutely zero effect in helping lift Buffalo out of the bottom 5 of the NHL, Matthews's presence lifted Toronto to not one but consecutive playoff appearances with the help of Marner and Nylander.

Its the same story as not too long ago, everyone was saying that Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons and Risto was better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly. Don't be revisionist people, go bump old threads. It was consensus fact that everyone picked Buffalo's over Toronto's and here were are yet again with the same old story, even though Toronto is the only team of the two that actually has recent success on their side.

It's time to stop comparing these two teams, one has gone though a successful rebuild and the other is in the early stages of its second attempt as its become very apparent that players like Reinhart, Risto and Girgensons don't hold a candle to Nylander/Marner/Rielly.

Go compare Buffalo to Carolina. Toronto has elevated itself from being compared to Buffalo in any regard. Those days are long gone.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Going off potential here. I think you have to chose Buff and the reason is that Dahlin-Eichel pair is just bomb.

Scenario A:
Matthews >= Eichel
Marner <<<< Dahlin
Nylander = Mittlestadt

Scenario B:
Matthews =< Dahlin
Marner << Eichel
Nylander = Mittlestadt

This is obviously just my opinion and the greater than signs are more for emphasizing how I feel it stands but you all get the drift.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
i went with the Buffalo Trio. Matthews slight edge over Eichel. Dahlin with a significant edge over Marner. Nylander slight edge over Mittelstadt.

Having that number 1C and 1D is huge.

Where Buffalo loses is in the supporting cast and in goal.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews > eichel
Marner << Dahlin (assuming he lives up to 80% of his hype)
Nylander = mittelstadt

Then consider even if dahlin ends up being an average 1D not the generational talent of claim that still gives the sabres a
Franchise C
Number 1 Dman
Mittelstadt likely a very good 2c or low end 1c
Vs
Slightly better franchise center
Good first line winger
About average first line winger

What do you take out of those combinations?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Going off potential here. I think you have to chose Buff and the reason is that Dahlin-Eichel pair is just bomb.

Scenario A:
Matthews >= Eichel
Marner <<<< Dahlin
Nylander = Mittlestadt

Scenario B:
Matthews =< Dahlin
Marner << Eichel
Nylander = Mittlestadt

This is obviously just my opinion and the greater than signs are more for emphasizing how I feel it stands but you all get the drift.

I really dont understand how people can give an edge to Dahlin over Matthews at this point. Averaging over 40g / 82 gp at just 20 years of age.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Matthews > eichel
Marner << Dahlin (assuming he lives up to 80% of his hype)
Nylander = mittelstadt

Then consider even if dahlin ends up being an average 1D not the generational talent of claim that still gives the sabres a
Franchise C
Number 1 Dman
Mittelstadt likely a very good 2c or low end 1c
Vs
Slightly better franchise center
Good first line winger
About average first line winger

What do you take out of those combinations?
My opinion is that Marner will be the best player out of all listed.
If I had to project their best seasons
Marner 30 goals 70-75 assists
Dahlin 15-20G 45-55 assists(norris)
Matthews 50/50
Eichel 40/50
Nylander 30/40
Middlestat??? 30/30??

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
And yet your golden boys are rightfully losing, absurd TO goggles.

Our "Golden Boys" are all between the ages of 20 and 22. I wasn't aware that the window to win was limited to those ages. Thanks for coming out.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There was another poll not long ago in which William Nylander was losing to Mittelstadt...I mean a guy who has already put up back to back 60+ point seasons as a 20 and 21 year old along with a respectable 8 points in 13 career playoff games losing to a guy who has grand total of 5 career NHL points...its utter nonsense, the definition of absurdity.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...Eichel has had absolutely zero effect in helping lift Buffalo out of the bottom 5 of the NHL, Matthews's presence lifted Toronto to not one but consecutive playoff appearances with the help of Marner and Nylander.

Its the same story as not too long ago, everyone was saying that Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons and Risto was better than Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly. Don't be revisionist people, go bump old threads. It was consensus fact that everyone picked Buffalo's over Toronto's and here were are yet again with the same old story, even though Toronto is the only team of the two that actually has recent success on their side.

It's time to stop comparing these two teams, one has gone though a successful rebuild and the other is in the early stages of its second attempt as its become very apparent that players like Reinhart, Risto and Girgensons don't hold a candle to Nylander/Marner/Rielly.

Go compare Buffalo to Carolina. Toronto has elevated itself from being compared to Buffalo in any regard. Those days are long gone.
If anyone had picked Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons and Risto over Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly in 2016 they would have been right based on the circumstances that the Sabres core at the time had more NHL experience. Today it's the complete opposite where the Leafs core has a lot more NHL experience and back to back seasons of making the playoffs. So anyone picking the Sabres players today is due to the Leafs hate their players get on here.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
My opinion is that Marner will be the best player out of all listed.
If I had to project their best seasons
Marner 30 goals 70-75 assists
Dahlin 15-20G 45-55 assists(norris)
Matthews 50/50
Eichel 40/50
Nylander 30/40
Middlestat??? 30/30??

I don't see marner as the best player out of the group, claiming 100 point on marner and matthews is bold to say the least. A total of 109 NHL players hit 100 points and the number in recent years is far less than it used to be. This year 3 guys hit 100 points to say the leafs will have two guys even at 90 points is a bit of a stretch (only 9 hit 90 this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad