Matthews,Marner,Nylander Vs Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt for the future?

Which trio would you choose for the future?and why?

• Matthews,Marner,Nylander

Votes: 131 34.0%
  • Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt

Votes: 254 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Well the poll asked which trio to take going forwards. I think you must have read my greater than signs somehow implying the players current skill set or performance. I did not. I literally based all of that on where I believe those players will end up respective to one another. For example, I had Dahlin >= Matthew's implying that that's where I see them long term.

Whether or not you agree with that is fine but going off what we've seen, Dahlin looks absolutely special in a way approaching McJesus category IMO. We'll see through, it could very well be a toss up which is why I have it pretty close between them.

With my point being Matthews has exceeded expectations thus far in his career. Implying that his scouting report somewhat undervalued what he has become/is becoming. His accomplishments thus far speak to a trajectory that see him becoming one of a select group of players in the league. To expect that Dhalin (based on reports) will exceed these concrete facts seems far-fetched.

However with all of my points, you are correct that anything is possible and Dhalin can become the best defenseman in the league, but in my opinion anything short of him becoming the best defenseman in the league would put him in the exact same category as Matthews.
I have always gone by the mantra of "a bird in the hand is better then a bird in the bush".

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
With my point being Matthews has exceeded expectations thus far in his career. Implying that his scouting report somewhat undervalued what he has become/is becoming. His accomplishments thus far speak to a trajectory that see him becoming one of a select group of players in the league. To expect that Dhalin (based on reports) will exceed these concrete facts seems far-fetched.

However with all of my points, you are correct that anything is possible and Dhalin can become the best defenseman in the league, but in my opinion anything short of him becoming the best defenseman in the league would put him in the exact same category as Matthews.
I have always gone by the mantra of "a bird in the hand is better then a bird in the bush".

You might be right and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up similar long term which is again why I have them so close! Also, I do agree that it's often best to go with the proven commodity which in this case is Matthews but again, I as well as many, just see Dahlin as that next "special" prospect.

Hell we might all be wrong for all we know and Dahlin turns out to be a 3rd pairing defender, Matthew's regresses to being a 3rd line grinder while the true star, Zach Hyman, becomes the uncontested best player in the multiverse :D.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is the kind of low quality post I’ve come to expect from you.
Pretty alarming how the Sabres have gone backwards under him.

They still have Ristolainen and Reinhart (who HF proclaims better than Rielly and Marner) along with ROR, Girgensons and a few other decent players. In no way should this be a team that finishes dead last. There's something seriously wrong in that Sabres locker room and I really do think Eichel is the root of it.

The ROR trade speculations is really not a good look and is a possible tell of what's going on behind the scenes over there.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Pretty alarming how the Sabres have gone backwards under him.

They still have Ristolainen and Reinhart (who HF proclaims better than Rielly and Marner) along with ROR, Girgensons and a few other decent players. In no way should this be a team that finishes dead last. There's something seriously wrong in that Sabres locker room and I really do think Eichel is the root of it.

The ROR trade speculations is really not a good look and is a possible tell of what's going on behind the scenes over there.
Having close to league worst goaltending and playing guys like Pominville, Girgensons, Wilson, and Pouliot in important top 6 minutes had nothing to do with finishing last? It's all Jack's fault :laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Having close to league worst goaltending and playing guys like Pominville, Girgensons, Wilson, and Pouliot in important top 6 minutes had nothing to do with finishing last? It's all Jack's fault :laugh:

Did you criticize Hart-finalist Mackinnon for the Avs going backwards after his rookie year?

Robin Lehner was hung out to dry by a disgustingly bad Sabres D. This is still a goalie who posted a very respectable .920 SV% last year. Players tend to look to the best players on the team for example, and it's really not a good look when your franchise 1C doesn't play a lick of defense.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
i respect your opinion, however strongly disagree. I'm taking the proven #1C thats lead the NHL in even strength goals per game since he was drafted over the Swedish hockey league player with 20p in 41gp
Oh yes because comparing points between a center and a defenseman makes SOOOO much sense. If that is your argument you're going to fall on I am genuinely worried for the leafs fan base. What is with some of the excuses in here

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Robin Lehner was hung out to dry by a disgustingly bad Sabres D. This is still a goalie who posted a very respectable .920 SV% last year. Players tend to look to the best players on the team for example, and it's really not a good look when your franchise 1C doesn't play a lick of defense.
Uh huh. Robin Lehner hung out to dry lol. The guy got a 1 year show me deal because management didn't trust him and he showed himself to be one of the most deflating goalies in the league and not a guy whose teammates love to play for him. Tons of games where he would play solid only to let in a backbreaking weak goal at the worst time. Yes the defense was poor but so was the goaltending. He is painfully slow side to side, can't cover his post, and plays a very clumsy style. He played decently well the year before behind an arguably even worse defense but fell flat on his face this season with some pressure on him. Somehow Johnson managed to play even worse. I understand it's fun coming in guns ablazing with your hot takes but you clearly didn't actually watch much of the Sabres this year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So the trio thats winning the poll so far has two players who have proved absolutely nothing and the other we still have no idea what his ceiling is .... Eummm interesting.

Sabres fan better hope and pray that Dahlin becomes a stud and Mittlestadt is a at least a 60 point winger for this to be even comparable
At least the Leafs trio still has Frederik Andersen as their #1 Goalie and he's proven to be one. That's something the Sabres don't have and it's one reason why it's ridiculous to select them over the Leafs.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
At least the Leafs trio still has Frederik Andersen as their #1 Goalie and he's proven to be one. That's something the Sabres don't have and it's one reason why it's ridiculous to select them over the Leafs.
Sorry but Andersen is quite clearly not included in the poll. No one questions who the better team is right now

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry but Andersen is quite clearly not included in the poll. No one questions who the better team is right now.
Going forward for the Sabres to contend they need better goaltending. I know Andersen was not included in the poll, however it would be stupid to not focus on both teams goalie situation when looking into the future. Since Andersen is a proven #1 he gives the Leafs trio a huge advantage.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Going forward for the Sabres to contend they need better goaltending. I know Andersen was not included in the poll, however it would be stupid to not focus on both teams goalie situation when looking into the future. Since Andersen is a proven #1 he gives the Leafs trio a huge advantage.
Read the OP......

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Of course he gives them an advantage. That's not the poll though. The Leafs' significantly better forward depth is another big advantage Toronto currently has. Goaltending is arguably the Sabres biggest need for the offseason, they absolutely will not go anywhere if they don't improve there by quite a bit.

If the question was "Who has the better future, Toronto or Buffalo?", then your comment would be relevant and the poll would look a lot different. But in this particular poll, its about which trio you would take if you were starting a franchise.

mike dad bab clock

May 2, 2016
This is closer than the poll suggests imo. Mostly because of the uncertainty of Dahlin and Mittelstadt. However I expect Dahlin to swing this in Buffalos favor as early as next year. Kid is the real deal

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If you look at what both have done since entering the NHL, Matthews has been a lot better than Eichel.
If only Eichel got to play with those players, we will see it now with the young talent Buffalo has.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Of course he gives them an advantage. That's not the poll though. The Leafs' significantly better forward depth is another big advantage Toronto currently has. Goaltending is arguably the Sabres biggest need for the offseason, they absolutely will not go anywhere if they don't improve there by quite a bit.

If the question was "Who has the better future, Toronto or Buffalo?", then your comment would be relevant and the poll would look a lot different. But in this particular poll, its about which trio you would take if you were starting a franchise.

A bit of logical thinking will lead you to the conclusion that Toronto's top-end talent is what seperates them from Buffalo.

Matthews >>> Eichel
Nylander >>> Reinhart
Rielly >>> Ristolainen
Marner >>> anything else buffalo has

The sooner you admit Toronto's top end talent is on another level than Buffalo's the better off you'll be. The standings say it, the stats say it, and the path of each team's rebuild say it. Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, and Nazem Kadri are almost irrelevant in this comparison when all is said and done.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
A bit of logical thinking will lead you to the conclusion that Toronto's top-end talent is what seperates them from Buffalo.

Matthews >>> Eichel
Nylander >>> Reinhart
Rielly >>> Ristolainen
Marner >>> anything else buffalo has

The sooner you admit Toronto's top end talent is on another level than Buffalo's the better off you'll be. The standings say it, the stats say it, and the path of each team's rebuild say it. Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, and Nazem Kadri are almost irrelevant in this comparison when all is said and done.
The poll results suggest otherwise. Your laughable comparisons are a terrible attempt at trolling though, kiddo.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The poll results suggest otherwise. Your laughable comparisons are a terrible attempt at trolling though, kiddo.
Leafs players have outperformed the Sabres players, this is obvious.

I have reality on my side, you have HFBoards polls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->