Matthews,Marner,Nylander Vs Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt for the future?

Which trio would you choose for the future?and why?

• Matthews,Marner,Nylander

Votes: 131 34.0%
  • Eichel,Dahlin,Mittelstadt

Votes: 254 66.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ya'll act just because in 2015 when people said Buffalo had a better future then Toronto and were wrong (At least in the short term, long remains to be seen) that it's no doubt the gospel truth from here on out.
This was not said by all Leafs fans, however you have to admit considering how cocky some Sabres fans were about their rebuild being ahead of the Leafs you can see why it's brought up today how the Leafs are way ahead of them.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This was not said by all Leafs fans, however you have to admit considering how cocky some Sabres fans were about their rebuild being ahead of the Leafs you can see why it's brought up today how the Leafs are way ahead of them.

I admit it. Lots of us were wrong.

You guys have a right to brag.

It just doesen't mean your going to be right this time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I admit it. Lots of us were wrong.

You guys have a right to brag.

It just doesen't mean your going to be right this time.
Who knows what will happen next season, however as of today the correct answer is still the Leafs trio due to what they have done in the regular season and playoffs.

You have to admit a lot of the votes for the Sabres trio is partly due to the Leafs hate among fans of other teams.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Who knows what will happen next season, however as of today the correct answer is still the Leafs trio due to what they have done in the regular season and playoffs.

You have to admit a lot of the votes for the Sabres trio is partly due to the Leafs hate among fans of other teams.

See what you said in bold.

That's not the question of the thread.

This thread assked Who is better for the future.

As it lines up it should be close, but there's definitely an argument both ways.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
See what you said in bold.

That's not the question of the thread.

This thread assked Who is better for the future.

As it lines up it should be close, but there's definitely an argument both ways.
I guess we have a difference of opinion because Dahlin has played 0 NHL games and Mittelstadt has played in just 6 NHL games.

If this question was asked after the Leafs got the 1st pick in 2016 with Matthews and Marner having played 0 NHL games and William Nylander only playing 22 NHL games vs Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart and Rasmus Ristolainen, the majority of people would have picked the Sabres at that time.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I guess we have a difference of opinion because Dahlin has played 0 NHL games and Mittelstadt has played in just 6 NHL games.

If this question was asked after the Leafs got the 1st pick in 2016 with Matthews and Marner having played 0 NHL games and William Nylander only playing 22 NHL games vs Jack Eichel, Sam Reinhart and Rasmus Ristolainen, the majority of people would have picked the Sabres at that time.

Yeah Mittlestadt still has the hype tho, went 7th overall and was in the top 5 most promising prospects, some had him 1st and 2nd, even. He even put up 4 pts I believe in those 6 games anyway,

Dahlin and Mittlestadt having a combined 6 games isn't really a knock on them.

The Uncertain part is the only argument, the potentiual, hype is there for a reason. Both these kids have been absolutely unbelievable up to now. Who's to say that doesen't continue. It looks MORE LIKE it will then it looks LESS like it will.

You have a point in the 2nd part, and that's what hapened but the Sabres ended up being wrong, didn't they.

So who's to say the LEafs wont be wrong now?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah Mittlestadt still has the hype tho, went 7th overall and was in the top 5 most promising prospects, some had him 1st and 2nd, even. He even put up 4 pts I believe in those 6 games anyway,

Dahlin and Mittlestadt having a combined 6 games isn't really a knock on them.

The Uncertain part is the only argument, the potentiual, hype is there for a reason. Both these kids have been absolutely unbelievable up to now. Who's to say that doesen't continue. It looks MORE LIKE it will then it looks LESS like it will.
Still would not agree if this same question for both teams was asked in 2016 with Matthews and Marner having played 0 games at that time and Nylander only playing 22 games vs Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen, everyone would have been crazy to not select the Sabres trio.

Since it's the reverse and the Leafs trio is more proven as of today and the hate Leafs players get, is part of the reason the Sabres trio is winning this poll.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Even as a leafs fan I have to call you out here, referring to Eichel as a 25 goal scorer doesn't paint a clear picture of how dominant he is and Dahlin isn't just a prospect, he's a generational defensive prospect.

dominant as he is, he is a clear notch below matthews.

also Dahlin is gonna be a stud, but to say he is already better than a 40g ppg+ franchise C? insane
edit: not you, but sabres fans

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Morgan Reilly is more proven than dahlin but there's no one on the face of the earth that would pick Reilly

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did you read the title of the poll?
Yes I did and like I said before I still can't see how you go with the Sabres since Dahlin has 0 NHL games played and Mittelstadt has 6 NHL games played. No matter what as of today Matthews, Marner and Nylander have more experience and 2 straight years of making the playoffs. So if anything that gives the Leafs are more clear future.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews is a 120 point player as far as I'm concerned, because only the future matters and the future is whatever I want it to be. it's not like normal people prefer to use the past and present to project what a realistic future would look like or anything, since completely pulling it out of thin air is ideal

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews is a 120 point player as far as I'm concerned, because only the future matters and the future is whatever I want it to be. it's not like normal people prefer to use the past and present to project what a realistic future would look like or anything, since completely pulling it out of thin air is ideal

I had to read that twice to make sure you were joking.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Don't forget that the Stanley Cup winning coach called him generational. Having other people in hockey call a player generational basically guarantees they're going to hit their maximum ceiling.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Realistically
Eichel = Matthews
Dahlin >> Marner
and Mittelstadt = Nylander

OR if you wanna look at it this way

Dahlin > Matthews
Eichel > Marner
Mittelstadt = Nylander

Whatever way you stack it, buffalo's core is better. Buffalo wins a cup before toronto does again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Realistically
Eichel = Matthews
Dahlin >> Marner
and Mittelstadt = Nylander

OR if you wanna look at it this way

Dahlin > Matthews
Eichel > Marner
Mittelstadt = Nylander

Whatever way you stack it, buffalo's core is better. Buffalo wins a cup before toronto does again.
Buffalo first needs to make the playoffs before their core has a chance at winning.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We've done this before.

Eichel has him beat in 5v5 p/60, 5v5 p1/60...

All against the other team's best defenceman
Sure, but again, Marner is closer to Eichel than Eichel is to Matthews.
Marner: 1.93 p/60 at 5v5
Eichel: 2.04 p/60 at 5v5
Matthews: 2.93 p/60 at 5v5

yet somehow the first comparison is ridiculous and the second is perfectly reasonable. Eichel is definitely better than Marner, but it's closer than Sabres fans want to admit

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sure, but again, Marner is closer to Eichel than Eichel is to Matthews.
Marner: 1.93 p/60 at 5v5
Eichel: 2.04 p/60 at 5v5
Matthews: 2.93 p/60 at 5v5

yet somehow the first comparison is ridiculous and the second is perfectly reasonable. Eichel is definitely better than Marner, but it's closer than Sabres fans want to admit

Hard to say until Buffalo gives Eichel more offensive support.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
either that or Eichel isn't on a tier of his own after McDavid in that draft class. It's not only Marner who's closed the gap

Didn't know this was a 2015 re-draft thread. But yes, considering Barzal just scored 85 points it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world to have him at #2.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It’s never Eichel’s fault is it? Always the coach’s or his teammates or the gm’s but never Eichel’s.

I mean, go through the roster and go through everyone's production (especially at ES) and decide for yourself.

Hint: Eichel is doing really well in a bad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad