Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone can be traded, but Dumba certainly has the ability to take over games offensively. I always wanted a player that would do that for the Wild...never thought it would be a Dman.

I would still trade Dumba + for a player like Draisaitl. Players like Hischier and Keller are also very tempting. I think Players like Peterson and Barzal are unavailable. It's nothing against Dumba, but more that that I think we need more skilled forwards...hopefully C's....and Dumba is one of the few trading chips that should command a lot of attention. I will say this. NOW is the time when you trade a guy like Dumba, not when he is slumping. I'd be curious to see what he could get in trade.

He is getting better defensively. Part of that is him being better offensively. The more he possesses the puck w/o making bad turnovers, the less he has to play D.

Brodin playing great this year. Hopefully he and Dumba can find a way to be highly effective now that they are together again. On paper it's a perfect match.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is from Russo's mailbag Q&A

I wanted to get your take on what you think of Matt Dumba at the quarter point of the season. Obviously he’s showing his offensive talent with his speed and powerful one-timers. Some fans still think he gives up too much on the defensive side. While I admit that his defensive game can be very inconsistent at times, I’m pretty sure his good defensive games outweigh his bad ones by a healthy margin. He’s one of our best when it comes to physical play. I’ve accepted that he’s a high-risk, high-reward type of player, and I think he’s one of the most exciting players to watch on the roster right now. Thoughts?
— Westley B.
Quite frankly, you don’t need my thoughts. I think you just voiced my thoughts perfectly and rationally. I agree.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just read that Q&A stuff. Does Russo got any clue on anything at all any more? Everything he wrote could have been written by anyone.
Still a good beat writer, still a shoddy analyst, but it doesn't seem like he's got the same connections within this regime as the last one. Which isn't a bad sign, really.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just read that Q&A stuff. Does Russo got any clue on anything at all any more? Everything he wrote could have been written by anyone.

I think he knows as much as anyone else because of two reasons. 1) Fenton keeps information to a minimum to anyone outside the organization and 2) There isn't much to know right now, anyway.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Meh this is veering off point, I was just pointing out that even a historical Dumba hater (that's what Russo has been since the day he was drafted) is seeing the light these days and acknowledges that there are far more good defensive games from Dumba than the occasional bad one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Story is kind of terrible. When has Dumba ever been in Burn's shadow? And as good as Burns has been since he's left, there has been been very little complaining about losing him from the MN fanbase, mostly because we've been stacked at D since basically 2014 when he started to break out.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Story is kind of terrible. When has Dumba ever been in Burn's shadow? And as good as Burns has been since he's left, there has been been very little complaining about losing him from the MN fanbase, mostly because we've been stacked at D since basically 2014 when he started to break out.
My thoughts as well. Inevitably there have been comparisons, but I don't think I've ever seen/heard a Wild fan say something to the effect of "man, Dumba's no Brent Burns." I'm sure it's happened, but not enough to be the pretext of an article.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I haven't heard anything comparing Dumba/Burns for years.

It's probably the Star Trib comment section or something.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I think it's more of a feeling than what was actually said. You can't tell me a part of you hasn't thought about what it would be like if he was still here. More anecdotal

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it's more of a feeling than what was actually said. You can't tell me a part of you hasn't thought about what it would be like if he was still here. More anecdotal
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I can't say that I have. I've often wished Setoguchi hadn't been such a flop and that we hadn't used that 1st on Zack Phillips, but that's about it.

Not a knock on Burns either; he was and is awesome.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yes and no. The team wouldn't even remotely be the same if we had signed Burns (no Parise, Suter, then butterfly effect), so it's impossible to know where we'd be.

Reactions: 2Pair

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yes and no. The team wouldn't even remotely be the same if we had signed Burns (no Parise, Suter, then butterfly effect), so it's impossible to know where we'd be.

Yep, and count me as one who would rather have Suter than Burns. Which is why I don't tend to long for Burns.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think if Burns was still here the Wild wouldn't have selected Dumba in 2012. First forward taken after the Wild's pick was Filip Forsberg. Sure makes you think what could've been...

The worst part about the Burns trade? We traded them a future 2nd round pick on top of Burns for Seto, Coyle and a 1st.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The worst part about the Burns trade? We traded them a future 2nd round pick on top of Burns for Seto, Coyle and a 1st.

Ahh yes the pick that nobody wanted, it was traded 3 total times before turning into Adberg (meh). The Wild took Bussieres 9 picks later. :help:

I have 0 faith that the Wild would have picked anyone useful if they had that pick. So really no harm no foul. With the hindsight glasses Tierney and Severson are the only guys between the Pick MN traded at their 3rd rounder that would have been worth anything.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can't tell if this is serious or not.
The fact we not only lost the best player and got a "meh" return but also gave up a 2nd round pick? We went from picking 37th in 2012 to 28th in 2011 with the swap of picks. Seto+Coyle+9 pick difference (across two drafts) for Burns.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The fact we not only lost the best player and got a "meh" return but also gave up a 2nd round pick? We went from picking 37th in 2012 to 28th in 2011 with the swap of picks. Seto+Coyle+9 pick difference (across two drafts) for Burns.

Well if that '11 pick had been used on Rakell or Jenner (taken within 10 picks) instead of Zack Phillips I don't think you'd mind near as much.

At the time it looked like MN had won the trade, according to most analysts. Even 3 years after the trade it looked like the Wild had won it. SJS didn't know what to do with Burns (RW/D) either. They got a 2nd for Seto a couple years later, and traded it to Buf (of course).

This is all a game of "ifs and buts." Does Burns become the player he is now under Yeo's coaching? My guess is no.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
So he's out for a significant amount of time? Do you guys know (speculation) what his "upper body" injury is? Just curious, seems weird that they aren't releasing any info. Not concussion-related is it?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So he's out for a significant amount of time? Do you guys know (speculation) what his "upper body" injury is? Just curious, seems weird that they aren't releasing any info. Not concussion-related is it?

They're not saying anything specific about it.

Reactions: irunthepeg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
They're not saying anything specific about it.

I'd seen the first one. Interesting about "to protect the player."

I just saw this one now so that's what made me curious. If it was like a hand or something then I'd get it cause guys will probably whack at it more if they know he's hurting but the significant amount of time being out it seems like if it's something like a hand it should be healed up before he gets back, no?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty sure it's a shoulder, but it could possibly be something like a broken arm/wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille