Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

space321

May 11, 2011
Dumba's shooting 50% better than his career percentage. 30 goals seems like a stretch, but 20 is possible. 30 might be possible like once or twice in his career during a lucky season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dumba's shooting 50% better than his career percentage. 30 goals seems like a stretch, but 20 is possible. 30 might be possible like once or twice in his career during a lucky season.
He's also playing with a better setup man as a partner.

He's never had a partner so gifted on both ends of the ice, so it makes sense he's getting better chances as a result and thus a better shooting percentage, on top of further maturity of his own game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Dumba has no chance at 30 unless they drastically change and improve their PP. Even 20 seems like quite a challenge.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's also playing with a better setup man as a partner.

He's never had a partner so gifted on both ends of the ice, so it makes sense he's getting better chances as a result and thus a better shooting percentage, on top of further maturity of his own game.

I think you're giving Suter too much credit here. Dumba has been making a lot of his own luck so far this year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dumba has no chance at 30 unless they drastically change and improve their PP. Even 20 seems like quite a challenge.

20 I can see happening because he joins the odd man rush so well. 30 is almost impossible for a d-man to get; it's happened once in the last ~25 years (Green with his 31g in 68 games in 08-09 season).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think you're giving Suter too much credit here. Dumba has been making a lot of his own luck so far this year.
I'm not saying he isn't, but his presence has an effect of how the defense plays. That is a pair of 50+point defenseman, they both have to be accounted for.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not saying he isn't, but his presence has an effect of how the defense plays. That is a pair of 50+point defenseman, they both have to be accounted for.

1 PP goal Suter wasn't on the ice.
1 goal where he stripped the puck and carried it into the ozone himself.
1 goal off a limp wrister that never got to the net and bounced off of a few people. Dumba made the right read and went towards the net.
1 goal where Suter got the 2nd assist, but Dumba did the work to create a quality scoring chance.
1 goal as the 3rd man in an odd man rush.

I'll give Suter his due, but Dumba is the one making the goals happen. He hasn't been scoring on the d-to-d 1-timers from the point. Having Suter helps as the ultimate security blanket so Dumba can take some risks, for sure, no argument there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
1 PP goal Suter wasn't on the ice.
1 goal where he stripped the puck and carried it into the ozone himself.
1 goal off a limp wrister that never got to the net and bounced off of a few people. Dumba made the right read and went towards the net.
1 goal where Suter got the 2nd assist, but Dumba did the work to create a quality scoring chance.
1 goal as the 3rd man in an odd man rush.

I'll give Suter his due, but Dumba is the one making the goals happen. He hasn't been scoring on the d-to-d 1-timers from the point. Having Suter helps as the ultimate security blanket so Dumba can take some risks, for sure, no argument there.
I never said Dumba isn't making it happen. I said Suter's very presence affects how the defense plays them both.

You're preaching to the choir about how good Dumba has been playing offensively.

I just don't think it's crazy that his shooting percentage has risen, and don't think it's just luck. Dumba is playing great, and he's facing a defense that can no longer only just worry about him on the backend like when he's paired with Brodin.

It opens things up when the defense can't cheat his way so much.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If I'm the goalie I'm looking at my dman after this play and going WTF? You screen me, THEN move out of the way?
Are you talking about Couture (#39)? It looks like he just didn't want to get hit in the face with that shot and I don't blame him.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Couture lost his man and completely ignored the play developing to get back on him, didn't see the pass to dumba to cut to him and get a stick on the shot and instead screened his goalie while he tried to take coyles space and stick away.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Couture lost his man and completely ignored the play developing to get back on him, didn't see the pass to dumba to cut to him and get a stick on the shot and instead screened his goalie while he tried to take coyles space and stick away.
Couture actually does a decent job of clearing Coyle out of the way. Jones gets caught leaning the wrong way and Dumba just hammers a perfect shot far side.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He would make a great Matador.

Unless he is way shorter than it looks he is, there is no way that Dumba's shot was anywhere near his face. That pick landed 8-12" below the bar, and a net is 4' high.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He would make a great Matador.

Unless he is way shorter than it looks he is, there is no way that Dumba's shot was anywhere near his face. That pick landed 8-12" below the bar, and a net is 4' high.
Well he was hunched over, he turns his head right and straightens his body as the shot is coming in. Either way, it doesn’t really matter. Dumba had an absolute snipe on the shot.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
B695A12E-5225-47C3-83C6-5E119D7E8574.jpeg

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd trade Dumba for anyone "on the block". You'd have to be crazy.
He's explosive and he's become more defensively responsible along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad