Matt Duchene

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
He'd be a good fit in Montreal. Do they still have their first round pick this year? Duchene for the Habs first and a couple other mid tier pieces at the deadline could work.

Yeah, we really want to give our current biggest rival the #1C that would complete their team for a 15-20th pick and middling prospects.

Reactions: Liliaceae

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I didn’t follow the conversation but is there people arguing that Ottawa isn’t a small market?

What’s the population in that area? How many are hockey fans ready to attend games and watch others they do not attend on TV and also buy merchandise every now and then? Oh and among them, how many are NOT Habs or Leafs fans?

Of course it’s a small fragile market, anyone not seeing that is just burying his head in the sand.

That being said, the fanbase (even if small) has been very supportive over the years thanks to the prices that are very cheap compared to other markets, and at some point when you rely on a small customer base, your sales might go down for various factors like their economic situation or just the state of the team. For example, if that team has to go through a « rebuild » (which in reality is a financial rebuild) and the owner has lost a lot of popularity, what we are seeing now happens

The team went through a rebuild in 2011 but the attendance was not affected. Was it because of Murray experience/personality and how he was capable of « holding off » Melnyk? Was it because the young team had immediate success? Was it because of a better economic situation for the fanbase? Or just because there was no boycott? Let’s be real, it’s always an amalgam of factors

There’s nothing more than I want in my NHL fandom than see Melnyk sell the team, but I believe this boycott hurts the team more than anything. It’s not Melnyk that people are hurting, it’s his asset as he has stopped putting personal money in it so all it does is giving him more ammo to reduce expenses even more. So in the end, it could result in one of Duchene/Stone gone, if not both. I understand people wanting to send a message but it was probably not very smart in the end

I don't disagree.

But it's the notion that the only way for our player budget to go up is for non-corporate gate receipts (approx 25-30% of team revenue) to increase or to cut costs.

If that's how the business is thinking then no wonder we have player budget. The fact is that there are dozens of moves the business can make to generate more revenue that are not dependant solely on Ottawa fan support.

If as Ice-Tray insists, if the fans have to punch significantly above our weight compared to other markets, then why doesn't the business/ownership side of the send have to do the same.

- more lucrative ad deals
- more corp sales
- solve fed spending
- more rev sharing
- more/better concert acts (seriously, look at the CTC upcoming events and tell me that they should fire the booking team)
- more outdoor games
- all star weekend
- draft weekend
- make the playoffs
- minority owner to relieve debt maintenance

And on, and on.

Its like they are walking into a meeting and these get tabled and the response is: but how does any of that reduce costs?

No amount of ticket sales will get us close to the cap if this is really their mentality.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What exactly are you expecting?

Okay, we get it. We are a smaller market.

So for us to have the same budget as a larger market, fans have to spend money on the team at a higher rate than fans in the other market. Ie, per capita, if the average San Jose fan spends $50 per year, then with half the fans/population we have to each spend $100 per year. That's the basic math correct?

So is it your assumption that we're not already spending much more per capita than other fan bases?

Because that's not what the data says.

I think a better idea is that more fans need to spend money, rather than fewer fans spending more.

Or, we just find a way to accept and enjoy watching a team that will not be a cap team at 80 million. The corporate support is just not there, to help out. It’s not so much about vilifying fans that are going to games, it’s more about questioning the message that boycotting fans complaining about about not having a cap team are sending. Do one, fine, but you can’t do both.

The current situation is less than ideal, I just don’t see a realistic ownership fix that involves a new person coming in and sinking 10s of millions of their own money into the team each year.

Either ticket prices have to rise to reflect what a cap team costs, and fans need to fill the rink at those prices, or like we always have we have to accept that we can’t play with the big boys budget-wise.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
“They probably will pass through the holiday season, but in the new year I think they’re going to want a real hard decision on Duchene, on whether or not he wants to stay or go,” Kypreos said. “If he doesn’t, then there is no question that they’re going to need all the time it can to trade him.”

“I can tell you, no numbers were ever exchanged,” Kypreos said. “But that won’t keep the Ottawa Senators from asking eventually what his intentions are.”

Senators Intend To Ask Matt Duchene About Intentions After Holidays

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why even ask, just move him along with Stone and Dzingel.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

The no numbers thing was an interesting quote.

Interesting to see Bob McKenzie throwing out numbers, even as just a guess, if no numbers were ever discussed. He seems like a guy who is very cerebral with what he throws out, and sometimes throws out "guesses" or speculation if he knows something is brewing but can't report it (see his tweets the day before Mac failed his physical), but maybe in this case, he was just guessing for the sake of guessing....

That was a day before McArthur failed his physical, and prior to that there hadn't really been any rumours or smoke about him failing after he grinded his way through three rounds of intense playoff hockey.

So I guess if Kypreos is right, McKenzie was genuinely guessing, and not just throwing bread crumbs like he may have done with MacArthur.

Reactions: solidprospect

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We've been able to sign Duchene for 5 months now. We're 3 months away from the trade deadline. But no numbers have been discussed? Really?

In these "meetings" that Dorion is having, what the hell are they talking about?

If the Sens still don't know what Duchene's intentions are, well, just add that to the list of incompetence.

From a realistic perspective, Duchene and Stone have already made it pretty clear what they're going to do.

Looking forward to the "we got real good pieces" press conference...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We've been able to sign Duchene for 5 months now. We're 3 months away from the trade deadline. But no numbers have been discussed? Really?

In these "meetings" that Dorion is having, what the hell are they talking about?

If the Sens still don't know what Duchene's intentions are, well, just add that to the list of incompetence.

From a realistic perspective, Duchene and Stone have already made it pretty clear what they're going to do.

Looking forward to the "we got real good pieces" press conference...
Should just trade them. No sense waiting.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Should just trade them. No sense waiting.

Should have a fairly good understanding of Duchene' s intentions by now, yes. And should have already presented numbers so he can make that decision on his end, so you can start fielding offers and start trade talks if he tells you it won't work.

What happens if Duchene comes back, gets injured again, and then you can't trade him at the deadline so he walks for nothing?

Times quickly running out and if Dorion is just now going to ask if he really wants to stay... well that's idiotic.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Should have a fairly good understanding of Duchene' s intentions by now, yes. And should have already presented numbers so he can make that decision on his end, so you can start fielding offers and starting trade talks if he tells you it won't work.

What happens if Duchene comes back, gets injured again, and then you can't trade him at the deadline so he walks for nothing?

Times quickly running out and if Dorion is just now going to ask if he really wants to stay... that's idiotic.
Why bother with an offer. It’s clear from everything here that the team will lowball them and they don’t want to be here anyway. It’s been stated as fact over and over, so Dorion should just trade them before more injuries hit.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why bother with an offer. It’s clear from everything here that the team will lowball them and they don’t want to be here anyway. It’s been stated as fact over and over, so Dorion should just trade them before more injuries hit.
Oh nevermind I see it’s sarcasm now.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Oh nevermind I see it’s sarcasm now.
Not really sarcasm. The consensus views are Stone signed a 1 year so he can leave at the end of the year and Duchene has no interest in playing here as we are not a contender.

The vast majority of posters speak as these are facts. My question is what is the point in pretending to have talks. Management must know the players want to leave so what is the hold up.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Not really sarcasm. The consensus views are Stone signed a 1 year so he can leave at the end of the year and Duchene has no interest in playing here as we are not a contender.

The vast majority of posters speak as these are facts. My question is what is the point in pretending to have talks. Management must know the players want to leave so what is the hold up.
Haha yup I’m with you.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its depressing.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
i wouldn't hate melnyk and dorion so much if it wasn't for their constant lying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad