Matt Duchene

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We've been able to sign Duchene for 5 months now. We're 3 months away from the trade deadline. But no numbers have been discussed? Really?

In these "meetings" that Dorion is having, what the hell are they talking about?

If the Sens still don't know what Duchene's intentions are, well, just add that to the list of incompetence.

From a realistic perspective, Duchene and Stone have already made it pretty clear what they're going to do.

Looking forward to the "we got real good pieces" press conference...

We'll get a few first round picks in return, declare victory and then really tank the rest of the year despite it not helping us at all.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Like this team gives a flying **** about what the fans want. This is a freakshow, not an NHL team. A normal team signs Karlsson, Duchene and Stone.

A normal team sends Duchene packing after the uber video. You cant make these guys sign anything so there is that problem

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
A normal team sends Duchene packing after the uber video. You cant make these guys sign anything so there is that problem

The general consensus among those involved with hockey was that the video was only controversial because it was aired publicly. That all players, coaches, and executives blow off steam like that among themselves.

I HIGHLY doubt any team would trade their 1C over that. That's ludicrous.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Haven't we given away enough of our stars for pennies on the dollar over made up or blown out of proportion drama?

It was a nothing incident only turned into something because of one uber driver. Anyone in the industry brushed it off as nothing and only badmouthed the driver.

If they want to fire anyone over drama then Melnyk and Dorion know the mirror is the only place they should be looking.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The general consensus among those involved with hockey was that the video was only controversial because it was aired publicly. That all players, coaches, and executives blow off steam like that among themselves.

I HIGHLY doubt any team would trade their 1C over that. That's ludicrous.

I dissagree

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
We've been able to sign Duchene for 5 months now. We're 3 months away from the trade deadline. But no numbers have been discussed? Really?

In these "meetings" that Dorion is having, what the hell are they talking about?

If the Sens still don't know what Duchene's intentions are, well, just add that to the list of incompetence.

From a realistic perspective, Duchene and Stone have already made it pretty clear what they're going to do.

Those trades are critical parts of the rebuild don't you know.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Could be Duchene is getting more points then he ever has so he is refusing to talk numbers while he drives up his value.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I dissagree

Yeah, I agree with your disagreement.

We traded:
Heatley for pennies on the dollar because Clouston was a terrible coach, and savaged him the media.
Kovalev for...? And then trashed him.
Spezza for squat (there's your #1 centre comparison, similar numbers on both players) and they blamed it on us, lol. The post-game callers ran Spezza out of town!

Duchene should have been suspended for that incident, and all three players brought it for a team talk with the owner.
They apologized, but it never should have come to that. Glory to that Uber driver, may he find more employment where his whistleblower skills come handy.

Anyways...Ken Warren is saying in the Citizen lately that he expects Duchene to be traded. I'm fine with this. Get us a decent pick or two and move on.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I think a better idea is that more fans need to spend money, rather than fewer fans spending more.

Or, we just find a way to accept and enjoy watching a team that will not be a cap team at 80 million. The corporate support is just not there, to help out. It’s not so much about vilifying fans that are going to games, it’s more about questioning the message that boycotting fans complaining about about not having a cap team are sending. Do one, fine, but you can’t do both.

The current situation is less than ideal, I just don’t see a realistic ownership fix that involves a new person coming in and sinking 10s of millions of their own money into the team each year.

Either ticket prices have to rise to reflect what a cap team costs, and fans need to fill the rink at those prices, or like we always have we have to accept that we can’t play with the big boys budget-wise.

Let's wrap this back to Duchene.

If I am Duchene, and I see the business ops side of the organization sitting in a boardroom, and the only idea that they have to increase revenues is "wait for more fans to show up"...then yeah, I'm gone. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much they offered me.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
They still deciding if he wants to be here. Like I said thinking earlier, if the Sens somehow make the playoffs or finish darn close I think Duchene will sign. This also means the are right, otherwise don't see signing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They still deciding if he wants to be here. Like I said thinking earlier, if the Sens somehow make the playoffs or finish darn close I think Duchene will sign. This also means the are right, otherwise don't see signing.
Sens or Duchene aren't going to wait past the deadline for making the playoffs or close too, he;d just walk as a UFA if that were the case.

As shitty as it is, it's a decision seems made made, the writing is on the wall in every Duchene interview

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sens or Duchene aren't going to wait past the deadline for making the playoffs or close too, he;d just walk as a UFA if that were the case.

As ****ty as it is, it's a decision seems made made, the writing is on the wall in every Duchene interview
No, nothing is written on the wall. Nobody is going to negotiate through the media. We won’t know where this is leaning until either a trade or signing happens

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No, nothing is written on the wall. Nobody is going to negotiate through the media. We won’t know where this is leaning until either a trade or signing happens
We know where it's leaning, he doesn't want to be in a rebuild, his words. When a guy says he doesn't want to play in a rebuild as he's been through that already, and he wants to play for the cup, and the GM is apparently unaware of his "intentions" in that he's asking about them after the holidays, the writings on the wall.

Sure, we can wait until the trade call is made, but to suggest things aren't clearly out there suggesting his intentions are to go play where he wants is just ignorance.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
We know where it's leaning, he doesn't want to be in a rebuild, his words. When a guy says he doesn't want to play in a rebuild as he's been through that already, and he wants to play for the cup, and the GM is apparently unaware of his "intentions" in that he's asking about them after the holidays, the writings on the wall.
You’re looking way too hard into media quotes. Guys like bob McKenzie wouldnt even mention this if they weren’t actively negotiating. Money talks and trumps any desire to play for a”true contender”.

I don’t even see any teams who would both want Duchene AND have the cap space for him who aren’t in a rebuild or retool. This will come down to one thing and one thing only - if the sens offer him enough cash.

And he said he doesn’t want to be in a rebuild in Colorado and then they are a great team a few months later. Things change rapidly. If the sens offered him and stone enough money and they signed, this team would not take very long to become contenders again. If they don’t offer them enough money they’ll leave. That’s all it comes down to.

Reactions: Larionov

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Let's wrap this back to Duchene.

If I am Duchene, and I see the business ops side of the organization sitting in a boardroom, and the only idea that they have to increase revenues is "wait for more fans to show up"...then yeah, I'm gone. And it doesn't have anything to do with how much they offered me.

I don’t think that the team is sitting back waiting for fans to show up, they all seem to be going about their business and doing whatever they can to get people out to games. The front office is giving out freebies like crazy, the GM is busy with his rebuild and has some big decisions to make, the coach is focusing on developing this young team, and the players are doing their best to win games.

I hear you, but there are so many arenas around the league that are not full. To be honest I think that the league is out growing most teams. Three teams are generating too much money for the rest to keep up with the cap. I think a city like Ottawa should be able to fill the arena at a reasonable price point and have that be enough to fund a competitive team, in a perfect world of course, but money rules and we obviously haven’t reached the breaking point yet.

I think for players they want quality of life, teammates that are fun to lay with and be around, and an organization that takes care of them. Of course that’s mostly secondary to getting paid. Ottawa has all of that, And I’m not sure that the players are as spiteful towards the owner as the fans are.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You’re looking way too hard into media quotes. Guys like bob McKenzie wouldnt even mention this if they weren’t actively negotiating. Money talks and trumps any desire to play for a”true contender”.

I don’t even see any teams who would both want Duchene AND have the cap space for him who aren’t in a rebuild or retool. This will come down to one thing and one thing only - if the sens offer him enough cash.
It will be easy to see soon enough.

That's what's enticing in UFA, you get overpaid in an auction and get to chose where you go. Money talks and you can go to a team of your choosing. Best of both worlds.

Guys like Duchene never have trouble finding work, his list of suitors will be plenty should he get to UFA.

Here's hoping he stays, I'm just calling it how I see it... I'd love to be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first. I certainly wouldn't bet on that.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We'll get a few first round picks in return, declare victory and then really tank the rest of the year despite it not helping us at all.
Even that's a best case scenario. Maybe instead we'll package Stone with Ryan, then Duchene with Condon in separate deals and we get some scraps (sorry, I mean intangibles and leadership, of course) in return? Then we bring Gaborik back from the dead so we can reach the cap floor?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Even that's a best case scenario. Maybe instead we'll package Stone with Ryan, then Duchene with Condon in separate deals and we'll get nothing in return? Then we bring Gaborik back from the dead so we can reach the cap floor?

I can't imagine any of them would be lottery picks. Maybe on the off chance one of the teams misses the playoffs by a hair but nothing realistic.

As for Gaborik I wouldn't be surprised if even he forgot what team he's playing for.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don’t even see any teams who would both want Duchene AND have the cap space for him who aren’t in a rebuild or retool.

I agree with everything you posted, but this was the key point that most fans miss. The market for Matt Duchene is not 30 other teams. As you mention, the contenders are all pretty much all capped out and just trying to re-sign their key guys. The teams with cap space who might want to take a run at Duchene will all be teams in some kind of a rebuild. Some, like the Coyotes, don't spend to the cap. Now, would Duchene eventually find a team willing to give him, say, 8 mil x 7 years come free agency? Yes, but it's going to be a team like the Islanders or Florida, not Nashville or Tampa. If he purely wants to chase a ring, he'll have to do a Hossa and sign for well under market value. Duchene's agent knows this full well, and has no doubt discussed it with his client.

I also think that, all things being equal on the money front, Duchene would like to stay in Ottawa. He seems to genuinely enjoy the city, being back in Canada, and being reasonably close to Haliburton. Don't ever discount how important it is to these guys that their wives be happy as well.

My guess is that this goes right down to the trade deadline. Neither side wants to leave money on the table, so any time there is a deadline people tend to negotiate right up to it. (See the Nylander example recently.) We may well be waiting right until the morning of Feb. 25 to know if Stone and Duchene are staying or going. (Dzingel too for that matter.) Buckle up.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think Duchene stays for everything you outlined above ^

Plus, Tkachuk-White-Stone could be a gorgeous top line in couple years.

Coyle-Duchene-Batherson could be another great line that has it all

Balcers-Chlapik-Tiereny

Smith-Pageau-XXXX

Could be great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad