Speculation: Matt Duchene

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No one thought he was worth the asking price.

We pony'd up.

He doesn't owe us but I am sure he is very grateful and isn't opposed to staying as long as he gets paid properly and believes in the plan going forward

Wrong, I think he was well worth the trade. a first, Turris, and a second tier prospect. I'd do that every day.

Reactions: Gesus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If he signs and that pick is not top say 7 or 8, it was worth it imo.

Bonus is we didn't just lock in our available 1st line center money to Turris. Would have loved to keep him as a 2nd center, but we can only afford one top end center under Melnyk.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Yup, that's what every single players says, and what you have to say in an interview before you head out to UFA unless you want to be crucified on the spot.

The difference is that Duchene went a lot farther and explained how happy he was and how PD outlined the future plan for the team and how he wanted to be a part of it going forward. He essentially said he wanted to be part of the solution to the shit show that is the Sens right now.

That is a few steps beyond the answer one has to give on the way out the door.

In the end we're going to take what we want from the bits of information given. I was quite taken by the sincerity and excitement of Duchene's interview, it's worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. If something else happens, so be it, but based on the information available in front of my eyes, he looks like a guy that wants to stay.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yup, that's what every single players says, and what you have to say in an interview before you head out to UFA unless you want to be crucified on the spot.

The difference is that Duchene went a lot farther and explained how happy he was and how PD outlined the future plan for the team and how he wanted to be a part of it going forward. He essentially said he wanted to be part of the solution to the **** show that is the Sens right now.

That is a few steps beyond the answer one has to give on the way out the door.

Duchene gave the exact same platitudes. "I like the city, the direction, everyone wants to win... blah blah blah." What everyone would say.

Besides, how detailed a plan could Dorion really have shared? Think of all the unknowns at the time Duchene gave that interview:

• Boucher's status
• Where Ottawa would pick in the draft (the "plan" would probably change if we landed Dahlin)
• What teams would be willing to trade for Karlsson
• What Stone would ask for

And that doesn't even include the Hoffman situation.

It's not like Dorion had some big powerpoint ready for Duchene. He probably said something like, "we want to get younger and play faster," and Duchene thought that was fine.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Duchene gave the exact same platitudes. "I like the city, the direction, everyone wants to win... blah blah blah." What everyone would say.

Besides, how detailed a plan could Dorion really have shared? Think of all the unknowns at the time Duchene gave that interview:

• Boucher's status
• Where Ottawa would pick in the draft (the "plan" would probably change if we landed Dahlin)
• What teams would be willing to trade for Karlsson
• What Stone would ask for

And that doesn't even include the Hoffman situation.

It's not like Dorion had some big powerpoint ready for Duchene. He probably said something like, "we want to get younger and play faster," and Duchene thought that was fine.

He really didn't at all. Go back and listen to it. Anyways, Pierre would obviously have outlined the team possibly going forward without EK, since that was common knowledge, and given how toxic the room was, and how the players knew why, it's safe to say that Hoffman's departure may also have been discussed. There is a lot of things that could be specifically discussed, these interviews are pretty detailed and cover a whole range of team specific topics. Your characterization of 'the plan' is disingenuous at best obviously.

We were never likely to land Dahlin, and the plan would not change depending on who we drafted, come on now, that's silly.

Either way I think we're done here, there really is no point in discussing things further when one party sees things in the worst light, and the other not so much. I won't begrudge the way you feel given that the EM is terrible and EK looks to be leaving, and the mood around here is a speedy struggle to the bottom, but it's not what I see.

I'm not emotionally invested enough to let these things ruin my day. I like the Sens, and when crumby things happen I'm like 'oh well' and look to the positives and silver linings, given that it's all out of my control. That's not a high horse thing as often accused of, but rather an opportunity to consider that I have a different perspective. While my glasses are certainly rose tinted towards my favourite team, I can actually see through them as they're not covered in mud :)

Duchene is a real shinny silver lining, and his interview at the end of the season was really positive, unless you try your best to spin it otherwise.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He really didn't at all. Go back and listen to it. Anyways, Pierre would obviously have outlined the team possibly going forward without EK, since that was common knowledge, and given how toxic the room was, and how the players knew why, it's safe to say that Hoffman's departure may also have been discussed. There is a lot of things that could be specifically discussed, these interviews are pretty detailed and cover a whole range of team specific topics. Your characterization of 'the plan' is disingenuous at best obviously.

We were never likely to land Dahlin, and the plan would not change depending on who we drafted, come on now, that's silly.

Either way I think we're done here, there really is no point in discussing things further when one party sees things in the worst light, and the other not so much. I won't begrudge the way you feel given that the EM is terrible and EK looks to be leaving, and the mood around here is a speedy struggle to the bottom, but it's not what I see.

I'm not emotionally invested enough to let these things ruin my day. I like the Sens, and when crumby things happen I'm like 'oh well' and look to the positives and silver linings, given that it's all out of my control. That's not a high horse thing as often accused of, but rather an opportunity to consider that I have a different perspective. While my glasses are certainly rose tinted towards my favourite team, I can actually see through them as they're not covered in mud :)

Duchene is a real shinny silver lining, and his interview at the end of the season was really positive, unless you try your best to spin it otherwise.

lol

Reactions: Bean Drown

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We should know by now not to take things said by players and management in interviews as gospel, more often than not it's just guys going through the motions and saying the right things. Basically everything out of Ottawa's management has been this for the past 2 years, Dorion and Melnyk have been skimming the reality and truth to make it appease a subsection of fans who ate it up. Just read the Town Hall thread for a large dose of it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We should know by now not to take things said by players and management in interviews as gospel, more often than not it's just guys going through the motions and saying the right things. Basically everything out of Ottawa's management has been this for the past 2 years, Dorion and Melnyk have been skimming the reality and truth to make it appease a subsection of fans who ate it up. Just read the Town Hall thread for a large dose of it.

Agreed.

You should take anyone says with a grain of salt and apply some critical thought. Public figures always have a job to do first and foremost. This site is a great example of people complaining that they don't get enough information, then complaining that they're getting too much information. I wouldn't get worked up about the town hall meetings, people wanted them and got them, I'm not sure what you expected. Its as actually solid for the team to do them, I'm not sure the new PR guy would/should have let them happen to begin with. EM out of sight out of mind I thinks the very best solution.

I believe PD wanted to make a fair offer to EK to stay, and did, and he traded Hoffman quick to help ease that deal. I think EK chose not to deal with Ottawa, likely because of EM, but as is his right he may also have wanted out for family and competitive reasons. I think all of us would think long and hard about a move to a sunny climate that offered a much better chance of winning, a new beginning, and a lot more money due to taxes.

I think PD wanted to see if he could keep EK, but likely knew that EK wasn't wanting to stay long before the TDL. Just the way this has all unfolded looks like two people kinda trying to see if it will work, but knowing that that ship has already sailed. Again, I don't hold it agains either guy.Good for PD to try and get something for the star, and good for EK to look at family and career first over the sentiment of others.

If there is any blame to through I would put it at ownership's feet for not only running a budget team, but being distasteful, which I think is more of a factor.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If we didnt talk to Duchene,s agent about a possible extension and gave away what we did...Yeah ,that would be something

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it became obvious that when Turris went to Nashville he wasn't as good a player as many Sens fans thought. I was, and still am fine, with that trade.
And so much of that was because we were essentially missing our top D pairing and our goalies were both tire fires. We replaced Methot with a plug, and Karlsson was terrible until around game 50.

Reactions: aragorn

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Wrong, I think he was well worth the trade. a first, Turris, and a second tier prospect. I'd do that every day.

We gave up a heck of a lot more for Duchene than we got for better players (at the time) in Spezza or Heatley. We'll probably get as much or slightly more for Karlsson, who is 3 times the player that Duchene is. And we don't have a hope in hell of recouping what we gave up in trade just a few short months ago, no matter how pretty a ribbon we put around him. We got screwed, plain and simple.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We gave up a heck of a lot more for Duchene than we got for better players (at the time) in Spezza or Heatley. We'll probably get as much or slightly more for Karlsson, who is 3 times the player that Duchene is. And we don't have a hope in hell of recouping what we gave up in trade just a few short months ago, no matter how pretty a ribbon we put around him. We got screwed, plain and simple.

We sure did, but Heater forced us to deal with one team or nothing, and Spezza was on the back end of his career, was due a large contract, and was also able to nix a better deal.

What are you even talking about? Duchene himself, playing for our team, is better than the sum of the parts we gave up.

YOU got screwed because now all of a sudden Bowers is awesome, Turris is a #1 centre, and next year will be Hughes for sure!! The team didn't get screwed because Turris is a #2 centre, Bowers is a tier 2 prospect, and the first next year will be what it is, but is against the odds of being #1.

We have our #1 centre in his prime, try and enjoy it.

Edited

Last edited:
Reactions: pzeeman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad