Speculation: Matt Duchene

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Uh, the Norris trophy is a failed metric. It's entirely subjective and dependent on external factors (NHL agents, media, etc). It also is not supposed to be the trophy for the dman with the highest points total.

When an opposing team draws up a game plan that is designed to keep the puck as far away as possible from a particular dman, that's a pretty good sign. When puck carriers avoid that side of the ice because it's a dead zone for play production, that's also a good sign.

So in that line of thinking, I can see how Doughty and Burns got the Norris and how every year EK is also in consideration.

Edit: thought this was the EK thread. Lol. So much EK talk.

I like Duchene and really hope they can extend him. Even with EK gone, this team could be good in a short turn around. The rebuild/retool won't take as long as folks are thinking.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Matt Duchene is ready to talk contract with the Senators

The date on the article is from late March. The dressing room was already reportedly broken, and the Karlsson leaving threat was in full force as well, yet he still seemed interested. There's a million reasons why he shouldn't re-sign, but he seemed genuinely interested in re-signing knowing what direction the team was going.

Maybe I'm just naïve, but I wasn't expecting any real news about Duchene until after Stone and Ceci's contracts get resolved, as they don't have a contract for this season. The summers long and there's lots of time to get something worked out with him

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Uh, the Norris trophy is a failed metric. It's entirely subjective and dependent on external factors (NHL agents, media, etc). It also is not supposed to be the trophy for the dman with the highest points total.

When an opposing team draws up a game plan that is designed to keep the puck as far away as possible from a particular dman, that's a pretty good sign. When puck carriers avoid that side of the ice because it's a dead zone for play production, that's also a good sign.

So in that line of thinking, I can see how Doughty and Burns got the Norris and how every year EK is also in consideration.

Edit: thought this was the EK thread. Lol. So much EK talk.

I like Duchene and really hope they can extend him. Even with EK gone, this team could be good in a short turn around. The rebuild/retool won't take as long as folks are thinking.
We just watched Wash ,win their first cup...And they played 6 rookies...Barzal win a calder with 80 some points...Its a young league,and we have a boatload of good prospects...Not saying we are there, but we arent completely hopeless in the talent department either

Reactions: Larionov and JD1

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

The date on the article is from late March. The dressing room was already reportedly broken, and the Karlsson leaving threat was in full force as well, yet he still seemed interested. There's a million reasons why he shouldn't re-sign, but he seemed genuinely interested in re-signing knowing what direction the team was going.

Maybe I'm just naïve, but I wasn't expecting any real news about Duchene until after Stone and Ceci's contracts get resolved, as they don't have a contract for this season. The summers long and there's lots of time to get something worked out with him

I expect Dooch to be at the bottom of the priority list. There is much to figure out before actually deciding on how much to commit to him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Tavares also claimed he wanted to be an Islander all the way up until UFA

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Big name players know they can always demand a trade to get into a better situation. The big thing is getting a big dollar contract with a lot of signing bonus money and a good NTC/NMC so they have control over their next destination.

I wouldn't look at Duchene wanting to sign a contract as a big indicator of wanting to stay here. It's more about getting that financial security in place asap.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He’s going to want $7.5-8M+ and we’re definitely not going to be paying that amount. I don’t think he’ll be a Senator come the trade deadline.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We gave up a heck of a lot more for Duchene than we got for better players (at the time) in Spezza or Heatley. We'll probably get as much or slightly more for Karlsson, who is 3 times the player that Duchene is. And we don't have a hope in hell of recouping what we gave up in trade just a few short months ago, no matter how pretty a ribbon we put around him. We got screwed, plain and simple.

If people think that Duchene and Spezza had anything close to similar value, then I understand why we talk about that trade so much...

I love Spezza but at the moment he was traded, it was more similar to that :

Washington Capitals acquireDateDallas Stars acquire
Washington_Capitals.gif
Mike Ribeiro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2012
Cody Eakin
2012 2nd round pick (#54-Mike Winther)
Dallas_Stars.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ribeiro was also 31 y/o, a defensive liability, a great playmaker but a lot cheaper (wouldn't cost that much term and $$$ to re-sign, he had 1 year left at 5.0) and not as injury prone... Like Spezza he had a NTC and just had 71 & 63 pts seasons...

I think this board expected too much of a return for Spezz, and when he refused the Nashville trade (best offer), we were screwed.

That being said, the Duchene trade is one of the few Dorion moves that I like, if the final price is Turris, Bowers and a late 1st... But since they have not invested 1$ to improve the team for next season, how do they plan to do that?

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If people think that Duchene and Spezza had anything close to similar value, then I understand why we talk about that trade so much...

I love Spezza but at the moment he was traded, it was more similar to that :

Washington Capitals acquireDateDallas Stars acquire
Washington_Capitals.gif
Mike Ribeiro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2012
Cody Eakin
2012 2nd round pick (#54-Mike Winther)
Dallas_Stars.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ribeiro was also 31 y/o, a defensive liability, a great playmaker but a lot cheaper (wouldn't cost that much term and $$$ to re-sign, he had 1 year left at 5.0) and not as injury prone... Like Spezza he had a NTC and just had 71 & 63 pts seasons...

I think this board expected too much of a return for Spezz, and when he refused the Nashville trade (best offer), we were screwed.

That being said, the Duchene trade is one of the few Dorion moves that I like, if the final price is Turris, Bowers and a late 1st... But since they have not invested 1$ to improve the team for next season, how do they plan to do that?
Wasn't ribeiro known to have off ice issues at that point?

Reactions: BigRig4

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

It's interesting that he talks about all the close friendships he was able to build in that Chernobyl of a locker room....I know Stone is the consensus pick for new captain if/when EK leaves, but I hope Duchene gets some serious consideration or at least an A if he signs an extension.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It's interesting that he talks about all the close friendships he was able to build in that Chernobyl of a locker room....I know Stone is the consensus pick for new captain if/when EK leaves, but I hope Duchene gets some serious consideration or at least an A if he signs an extension.

Didn't he wear an A at the end of the season or am I mis-remembering?

Reactions: BigRig4

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Reactions: Silencio

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Tavares also claimed he wanted to be an Islander all the way up until UFA

Source? Not that I don’t believe you, just curious.

Can’t remember reading something like that in the weeks before free agency.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Duchene is not going anywhere IMO.
After the Sens are "Euginized" he will be one of the key pieces remaining to get to the cap floor.
Compared to Colorado he is close to home, has an easy travel schedule in the East and could come out of this as a key leader in the rebuild. He deserves an "A".

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wasn't ribeiro known to have off ice issues at that point?

Yeah but it was nothing new, it just got worse. I actually worked with his father in the early 2000's and yeah, won't say anything more

Mike had a great career (793 pts, 1074 NHL games + playoffs) but could probably have had a better one (and more importantly a better reputation in the NHL circle) without his chronic problem. Why do you think Montreal dumped him for Niinimaa and a 5th?

He still was a very efficient player on the ice and had similar stats as Spezza the 2 years prior their respective trade. Didn't miss a full season though.

Mike Ribeiro : 134 pts in 156 Games (0.86 PPG)
Jason Spezza : 71 pts in 80 games (0.89 PPG)

Spezza had a chronic problem too and teams knew that, so they wouldn't give a huge asset price for a player that might decline soon and that would still cost a pretty penny (and end up very overpaid like it is the case actually)

I loved Spezza and would have liked him to stay but he was so horrendous defensively his last year in Ottawa, and you can't have that as your #1 Center. Turris did a very good job replacing him as he provided near the same offense but with way better 2-way play.

And weren't viewed in the same stratosphere around the league

I know fans tend to always overvalue their own players but that word pretty confirms how wrong we were on Spezza's value. Out of the teams he would agree to be traded to, it doesn't seem like there was much of a bidding war... Nashville dodged a bullet when he refused to be traded there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad