Speculation: Matt Duchene

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This is the best time for a full rebuild in Ottawa because season ticket sales are apparently very very low. Attendance is going to stink this year, so we already have the sunk cost of not selling tickets.

The argument against a rebuild in Ottawa should have always been that we rely on fans rather than corporations more than any other team to sell tickets. Meaning, we can't afford to not put out a team that is competing for a playoff spot every season. Aside from last year, in every season we've missed the playoffs since 2012, games have still mattered pretty late into the season with us usually falling in that 10-15 type spot.

We'd have to find a way to get the 2019 1st back from COL, which probably means sending Karlsson or Stone there.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Being a middling team is terrible. You have almost no chance of winning playoff series consistently, let alone a cup. A rebuild is probably the best way to go. Maybe within 5 years Melnyk finally decides to sell.

Melynk doesn't do rebuilds. "anyone who thinks this team needs a rebuild should get a bomb and blow themselves up." We just traded one of our top goal scorers for a semi-cap dump because we plan on competing next year.

If the plan is predicated on Melynk selling, we will just have to wait for that point and then assess where we are at. You guys have been wishing for rebuild for almost 10 years now - it's not happening.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wonder what a Duchene and Anderson package to the Islanders would return? Assuming Duchene is on the table for them of course.

I'd like Dobson/Walstrom, Ho-Sang and 2019 1st plus ?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't worry, once we ship out Duchene, Karlsson and Stone we'll bring back Chris Kelly to lead this team.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Wonder what a Duchene and Anderson package to the Islanders would return? Assuming Duchene is on the table for them of course.

I don't think that package returns more than Duchene returned a year ago, especially with Anderson providing negative value.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Would be a strange package to offer considering they just signed Lehner. Also not a chance the Islanders give up those 3 pieces.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Garrioch in his radio spot with TSN 1200 claimed that Dorion and Duchene's agent plan to sit down next week. It seemed like the situation was characterized as this Karlsson situation has created a holding pattern.

Doesn't mean Duchene will 100 percent get done, but if true it's a positive that both sides want to sit down.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
No clue why, but I've always had a gut feeling that Duchene wants to stay.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nothing like trading the farm for who you call a 'superstar' center and welcoming him by making him wait for a contract negotiation to start, but when you are trading a god - I guess the superstars have to wait their turn.

stupid is as stupid does

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Why not over pay EK instead and trade Duchene? If money is a issue!

Maybe the PD plan that Duchene is on board with was that he would take over the 'C' after EK is traded.

If EK, Anderson is on their way out , minus well trade away Duchene also, stock up on picks , prospects and young players and hand the Keys over to Mark Stone.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why not over pay EK instead and trade Duchene? If money is a issue!

Maybe the PD plan that Duchene is on board with was that he would take over the 'C' after EK is traded.

If EK, Anderson is on their way out , minus well trade away Duchene also, stock up on picks , prospects and young players and hand the Keys over to Mark Stone.

I think EK wants out more because of the overall situation in Ottawa , and mostly because a) he wants to get paid and b) he knows if he gets paid here the $ won't be there to spend around him.

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016
Duchene requesting to leave wouldn't look good on him

Yup, it would be a really bad look asking for a trade from two different teams within 2 years.

The good news for Duchene is that if he wants out, all he has to do is wait until this time next year, which I think he will.

I can't see Dorion trading him this year either. It would be a real bad look for Dorion to trade Duchene for a fraction of what he gave up for him last year.

Turris, Bowers, and our 2019 1st & 3rd round picks would look real good right now, even if Turris walked. Duchene is a good player, but it's hard for me not to dislike him just because of the circumstances of his arrival.

I hate Dorion so much, and I hate Melnyk even more.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yup, it would be a really bad look asking for a trade from two different teams within 2 years.

The good news for Duchene is that if he wants out, all he has to do is wait until this time next year, which I think he will.

I can't see Dorion trading him this year either. It would be a real bad look for Dorion to trade Duchene for a fraction of what he gave up for him last year.

Turris, Bowers, and our 2019 1st & 3rd round picks would look real good right now, even if Turris walked. Duchene is a good player, but it's hard for me not to dislike him just because of the circumstances of his arrival.

I hate Dorion so much, and I hate Melnyk even more.

We could have got a 1st + for Turris at the TDL and had our 1st for next year... but no Duchene .. I like Duchene but losing futures when you boxed yourself into a corner like the Sens did just pushes you back further

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No clue why, but I've always had a gut feeling that Duchene wants to stay.

No one thought he was worth the asking price.

We pony'd up.

He doesn't owe us but I am sure he is very grateful and isn't opposed to staying as long as he gets paid properly and believes in the plan going forward

Reactions: BigRig4

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We could have got a 1st + for Turris at the TDL and had our 1st for next year... but no Duchene .. I like Duchene but losing futures when you boxed yourself into a corner like the Sens did just pushes you back further

The plan was to contend.

It is a bit disingenuous to claim "we could have gotten a lot for Turris if we didn't trade for Duchene" because that implies prior knowledge that we were gonna suck

Maybe we don't suck if we keep Turris and he walks as a UFA? That is as likely to me

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016
The plan was to contend.

It is a bit disingenuous to claim "we could have gotten a lot for Turris if we didn't trade for Duchene" because that implies prior knowledge that we were gonna suck

Maybe we don't suck if we keep Turris and he walks as a UFA? That is as likely to me

It's an even worse trade if our team would have been significantly better with Turris...

We then gave up a tremendous of assets to become a worse team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad