Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Sep 19, 2008
"Mantis, look out!"

:laugh: That movie is still one of my favorites in the MCU despite what the majority say about it.
I was kind of uninterested in rewatching them but I was wrong... Seeing them again for my rewatch has been great. Both gotg movies are pretty solid

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So who's the next big bad for Marvel? IE the new Thanos that they build towards?

Ya everything is pointing to Kang as the next big evil out there with the intro and expansion on the idea of a multiverse etc.

He is a very complex character if they keep it like the comics and works to help introduce the Fantastic 4 as he is the father of Reed Richards....

Simply put, while Rama-Tut, Kang, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Iron Lad, and Mister Gryphon all started as Nathaniel Richards of Earth-6311, and their histories overlap, all the time travelling has schismed their timelines. Putting aside the non-Richards' Kangs (from timelines where Kang was slain, and his armor and Kang identity stolen by others, as witnessed with the Cross-Time Kangs), we know of: Kang the Conqueror

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
giphy.gif

Reactions: John Price

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Ya everything is pointing to Kang as the next big evil out there with the intro and expansion on the idea of a multiverse etc.

He is a very complex character if they keep it like the comics and works to help introduce the Fantastic 4 as he is the father of Reed Richards....

Simply put, while Rama-Tut, Kang, Scarlet Centurion, Immortus, Iron Lad, and Mister Gryphon all started as Nathaniel Richards of Earth-6311, and their histories overlap, all the time travelling has schismed their timelines. Putting aside the non-Richards' Kangs (from timelines where Kang was slain, and his armor and Kang identity stolen by others, as witnessed with the Cross-Time Kangs), we know of: Kang the Conqueror

Wasn't he recently revealed as a descendent of Doom as well?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Not sure how to feel. Logan was a perfect ending to jackmans wolverine.

As cool as it would be I doubt it. His age and him saying how hard it is to get in shape for the role would make it unlikely. Unless with the multiverse shenanigans going on with Loki and expected in Doctor Strange 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp 3. Maybe as a multiverse version of Wolverine or Old Man Logan.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think Kang can be a Thanos-level threat. Maybe more of a Loki sort of wave 1 villain?
Most lists have Kang in the top 15 or even top 10 as far as Marvel villains goes. He has access to tech from the 40th century and comes from a line of powerful individuals.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Most lists have Kang in the top 15 or even top 10 as far as Marvel villains goes. He has access to tech from the 40th century and comes from a line of powerful individuals.
I'm aware of Kang - but he doesn't scream existential threat the same way Thanos would. With Fantastic Four being an option, there are just more interesting villains/plotlines than anything Kang brings.

That being said - I've never been a huge fan of Thanos either and Marvel did well with him, so they'll do fine.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
As cool as it would be I doubt it. His age and him saying how hard it is to get in shape for the role would make it unlikely. Unless with the multiverse shenanigans going on with Loki and expected in Doctor Strange 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp 3. Maybe as a multiverse version of Wolverine or Old Man Logan.
They'll make it happen...somehow

Reactions: beowulf

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The one way for sure if a Hulk/Wolverine movie. He said he would come back for that.

I doubt that's the only reason he would come back.

$$$ and future opportunity (i.e., producing/financing his projects)

At this point, I would be surprised if he doesn't appear as Wolverine/Logan in some capacity in the MCU

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm aware of Kang - but he doesn't scream existential threat the same way Thanos would. With Fantastic Four being an option, there are just more interesting villains/plotlines than anything Kang brings.

That being said - I've never been a huge fan of Thanos either and Marvel did well with him, so they'll do fine.

I think Kang will be bigger than Loki as a villain but I think they’ll build to Galactus as a more overarching villain closer to Thanos-level.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Kang will be bigger than Loki as a villain but I think they’ll build to Galactus as a more overarching villain closer to Thanos-level.
The issue with Kang is for the most part his conduct is Earth-bound, while MCU seems to be leaning a bit into more cosmic issues with Thor, GotG, and the Eternals (plus Fantastic Four is always borderline cosmic). Kang will probably be the appetizer for Doom (maybe culminating in a Secret Wars-type scenario?) or going straight for Galactus.

The thing with Galactus is he isn't much of a personality, so they'll have to figure out something there to make him more than just... inevitable.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The issue with Kang is for the most part his conduct is Earth-bound, while MCU seems to be leaning a bit into more cosmic issues with Thor, GotG, and the Eternals (plus Fantastic Four is always borderline cosmic). Kang will probably be the appetizer for Doom (maybe culminating in a Secret Wars-type scenario?) or going straight for Galactus.

The thing with Galactus is he isn't much of a personality, so they'll have to figure out something there to make him more than just... inevitable.
He could also be the phase 4 villain that leads/works with Galactus or Doom in phase 5. Sort of how Loki worked with/for Thanos.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
My biggest concern with Kang as a villain, and it is literally superficial, is that his costume/character design sucks in the comics. It's why I never cared about him as a villain when I was a kid. Galactus has a pretty bad character design too but he at least actually looks like a devourer of worlds, and Dr. Doom's aesthetic is campy but menacing nonetheless. Kang the Conqueror just looks like one of those dopey throwaway He-Man villains from before my time.

Since this is Marvel/Disney though, I fully expect them to blow me away with some badass costume design for Kang and for him to live up to his potential as a marauder from the 40th century.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad