Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing I don't get is that both sides saw the whole Spiderman thing coming and Marvel still went and positioned Spiderman to be the guy that ushers in the new Avengers after Stark. Now they're looking at all of these other options, meanwhile I am finally happy that Sony will get to make a proper Spiderman movie with Holland that isn't him having Stark revolving around it for some emotional bs that lingers all throughout the movie.

At this point, they might as well just re-introduce Fantastic Four and have them be the guys that lead the charge for the Avengers.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The thing I don't get is that both sides saw the whole Spiderman thing coming and Marvel still went and positioned Spiderman to be the guy that ushers in the new Avengers after Stark. Now they're looking at all of these other options, meanwhile I am finally happy that Sony will get to make a proper Spiderman movie with Holland that isn't him having Stark revolving around it for some emotional bs that lingers all throughout the movie.

At this point, they might as well just re-introduce Fantastic Four and have them be the guys that lead the charge for the Avengers.

Yeah, don't count on that happening

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, don't count on that happening
Whether you hate it or not, their spiderman movies were financial successes. Also into the spiderverse did very very well.

I like how the marvel fan boys are so against it. I'd rather see them explore the other characters in his world and roll with that. All Hollands spidey has been is some emotional crutch to keep people reminded about stark and not so much about spidey besides a few growing up moments.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Whether you hate it or not, their spiderman movies were financial successes. Also into the spiderverse did very very well.

I like how the marvel fan boys are so against it. I'd rather see them explore the other characters in his world and roll with that. All Hollands spidey has been is some emotional crutch to keep people reminded about stark and not so much about spidey besides a few growing up moments.
The Garfield movies were not financial successes, which is why they made the deal with Disney.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Not the "Amazing" ones. They performed well below EXPECTATIONS.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

That last part is just true. They used Stark as a crutch, sure, but it wasn't to keep people reminded about him.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
GHOST RIDER: Marvel Studios Rumored To Have Plans For The Satanic Superhero On The Big Screen

GHOST RIDER No Longer Moving Forward Due To Reported "Creative Differences" Between Marvel And Hulu

RedPerfumedAmazontreeboa-size_restricted.gif

original.gif

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

You act as if Sony has made several good Spiderman movies since 2004. :laugh:

If some company like Apple or Netflix is able to buy Sony Pictures within the next couple of years it might not matter. If that happens, Spiderman and the associated characters Sony owns would go back to Marvel.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You act as if Sony has made several good Spiderman movies since 2004. :laugh:

If some company like Apple or Netflix is able to buy Sony Pictures within the next couple of years it might not matter. If that happens, Spiderman and the associated characters Sony owns would go back to Marvel.
I hope it doesn't happen.

Everything has the same feel and tone and is not as individualistic as they want to appear to be, which is very Disney. Different isn't bad, people seem to be Disney/Marvel drones and want more of the same crap.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I hope it doesn't happen.

Everything has the same feel and tone and is not as individualistic as they want to appear to be, which is very Disney. Different isn't bad, people seem to be Disney/Marvel drones and want more of the same crap.

What has made the MCU so successfully lately is the different tones of their movies. And they’re realllly going for it in the next phase with some of these movies.

I’m alright with Sony getting Spider-Man, though. Lets see if they can do it right, and there’s much more to the MCU than Spider-Man.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The movies are different from a tonal perspective but their structures are all identical.

That isn't meant to be a harsh critique, it works and it works very well.

I think the shift in tones is what allowed the MCU to prove all the naysayers wrong but it cannot go on forever.

Almost everybody loves a good superhero story. The problem is, there aren't infinite ways to tell good superhero stories and even less when you are trying to make a whole bunch of mass audience movies.

I don't think the MCU is going to go down in quality, I just think the response is going to get a bit more muted.

Phase 4 feels like it is going to be a lull, focusing on individual stories rather than build towards a new decade-long arc. Smart move but I can't help but think that they'd be better off, in terms of consumer enthusiasm, to simply put the MCU on hold for 5 years and then start a new massive arc. Instead, it feels like they are simply making movies cause the money making machine cannot be turned off; treading water because they want to make more money rather than to tell a story they want to tell.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What has made the MCU so successfully lately is the different tones of their movies. And they’re realllly going for it in the next phase with some of these movies.

I’m alright with Sony getting Spider-Man, though. Lets see if they can do it right, and there’s much more to the MCU than Spider-Man.
It hasn't been the same tone for me though, the moment GOTG had huge success, that type of humor and tone infected the rest of the MCU into GOTG2, Ragnarok, etc. Also the untimely sarcasm, etc.

I liked what they did with Spiderman when he wasn't talking so much about the Avengers or Stark, it was seeing a character again that wasn't becoming similar like the rest of the group like the Avengers were being.

Also, it's my opinion, you don't need to agree to it, if you don't like it, just skip over it.

Oh you're snarky!? So are the rest of us!!! - That's what I was seeing too much of. I did like the character development of Thor, but it seemed like that was the only character they actually did that with recently, outside of Spiderman in his 2 movies that still had too much attached to the MCU and very little to actually do with his character.

I would rather see him fight his villains, his sinister six of bad guys.

MCU does their thing very well, but there's a clear tone all across their movies that blend together and that happens when you do this shared universe thing, it becomes far too blended. The best think Taika did with his property and Gunn was not make it so shared, which is why those movies were a breath of fresh air.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I think Sony will be under pressure to get this right. It's been 15 years since they made a good Spiderman movie, and they currently seem to be hanging their hat on a very mediocre-at-best Venom movie as the start of their own shared universe.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Awesome news, but it's like the government negotiating the debt ceiling....the agreement only lasts for a short time. Hope they can work together long-term so Spidey can now be the focus in the MCU.

At the very least, this will allow the MCU to end Spidey's story my naturally instead of him just being yanked out suddenly like he was.

Give the MCU a chance to finish his trilogy, and then Sony can have at it again. I'd be okay with that. The most disappointing part about the original fallout was that it didn't allow Marvel to tell his whole story.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Per Variety, Disney will now get 25% of the profits - up from 5% on the previous deal.

And this deal is just for one more solo film and then another MCU film. So, this could very well be just to allow Feige to "finish" his story.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Just came to say I'm elated that Tom Holland's Spidey is back in the MCU. Even if it's for a limited time, I'm happy that it gives Marvel the chance to end the story on their own terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad