Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

spiderman-no-way-home.gif

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Good for Mike Colter, he made a fine Power Man.

Finn Jones on the other hand... not so much. Hopefully this time around he has better material to work with and maybe he's put in significant work and training so future Iron Fist fight scenes won't start with him turning the lights out.

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good for Mike Colter, he made a fine Power Man.

Finn Jones on the other hand... not so much. Hopefully this time around he has better material to work with and maybe he's put in significant work and training so future Iron Fist fight scenes won't start with him turning the lights out.
YA first season was pretty bad but I didnt mind the second but not sure if that is more because Colter was in it along with the sort of Sisters of the Dragon sub-plot going on etc.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Actually been going back to the Netflx Marvel shows that I had bailed on previously. Coulter's a great Luke Cage. Season 1 is definitely a bit of a mess though. 1st half is pretty good (for obvious reasons if you know the show), but second half was a slog. Major villain problem. I'm shocked at how padded out the season and episodes are. They'll literally have a scene and then later have characters explaining what happened, which we already saw, complete with flashbacks to the thing we'd already seen. Just fatty, tedious storytelling. But Coulter is good.

The huge bummer to me about Iron Fist is that there is some good material in the comics. The 2006 Immortal Iron Fist run (I think it was Ed Brubaker primarily) is a lot of fun. Granted it doesn't fit as an origin story (god forbid) but it's just good, action packed writing. I'd love for them to get to something like that.

The Netflix shows have their flaws, but honestly I find them less frustrating than the Disney Plus MCU experience. The Netflix seasons are consistently too long and padded out, but they have a pretty good sense of character and place and the main story is often solid. The Disney shows are so overstuffed and intent on seeding like five other stories and characters, they often forget to tell just a single, compelling story.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
YA first season was pretty bad but I didnt mind the second but not sure if that is more because Colter was in it along with the sort of Sisters of the Dragon sub-plot going on etc.
The second season was awesome. I realize that's definitely not the popular view, though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Actually been going back to the Netflx Marvel shows that I had bailed on previously. Coulter's a great Luke Cage. Season 1 is definitely a bit of a mess though. 1st half is pretty good (for obvious reasons if you know the show), but second half was a slog. Major villain problem. I'm shocked at how padded out the season and episodes are. They'll literally have a scene and then later have characters explaining what happened, which we already saw, complete with flashbacks to the thing we'd already seen. Just fatty, tedious storytelling. But Coulter is good.

The huge bummer to me about Iron Fist is that there is some good material in the comics. The 2006 Immortal Iron Fist run (I think it was Ed Brubaker primarily) is a lot of fun. Granted it doesn't fit as an origin story (god forbid) but it's just good, action packed writing. I'd love for them to get to something like that.

The Netflix shows have their flaws, but honestly I find them less frustrating than the Disney Plus MCU experience. The Netflix seasons are consistently too long and padded out, but they have a pretty good sense of character and place and the main story is often solid. The Disney shows are so overstuffed and intent on seeding like five other stories and characters, they often forget to tell just a single, compelling story.

I agree with everything here. I think a lot of those series would have done better with 10 instead of 13 episodes.

Luke Cage peaked early and Cottonmouth was so compelling as an antagonist that the show just ran out of steam after he was sidelined.

Iron Fist was just plain awful.

If I were to rate them:
1. Punisher
2. Jennifer Jones
3. Daredevil
4. Luke Cage

5. Iron Fist

Defenders suffers from the fact that Iron Fist brings everyone else down.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
If I were to rate them:
1. Punisher
2. Jennifer Jones
3. Daredevil
4. Luke Cage

5. Iron Fist

That's not really convincing :laugh: ;-)

I'd put the first season of Jessica Jones ahead of everything else. As for the whole shows, I pretty much agree... Punisher would be first, DD and JJ pretty close to each other. Then gap, Luke, than gap, Iron Fist.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I agree with everything here. I think a lot of those series would have done better with 10 instead of 13 episodes.

Luke Cage peaked early and Cottonmouth was so compelling as an antagonist that the show just ran out of steam after he was sidelined.

Iron Fist was just plain awful.

If I were to rate them:
1. Punisher
2. Jennifer Jones
3. Daredevil
4. Luke Cage

5. Iron Fist

Daredevil
Punisher
Jeni...Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Defenders
Iron Fist

for me.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I find the Netflix shows are hard to rank since I find the drop in quality between some seasons to be massive.

I'd rank Jessica Jones season 1 as the best Netflix season without question but if I'm lumping seasons 2 & 3 with it it gets dragged down significantly. Punisher season 2 I found awful as well after quite enjoying nearly everything about season 1. I never did finish that season though so maybe it got better after I had tuned out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad