Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Might as well bring Thanos back from the dead at this point :laugh:

All the same I am definitely getting hyped for this movie. Marvel seems to have a knack for making great things out of skeptical events. For me personally they really haven't had a misfire of a movie in a very, very long time(Probably Thor 2 honestly). They have some movies that aren't quite as good as others... But everyone for the last 5-6 years at least not has been solid if not amazing in my books.

Daredevil was also a fantastic series and was extremely disappointing when it was "cancelled" after season 3. Very happy to see Charlie Cox be able to bring that character over to the movie side of the MCU hopefully going forward beyond just this movie.

Hopefully, that means a potential future Kristen Ritter/Jessica Jones shift along with a Jon Bernthal/Punisher move as well. I was also a big fan of those characters and really hoped it wasn't the last of them when Marvel axed the Netflix stuff.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Daredevil was also a fantastic series and was extremely disappointing when it was "cancelled" after season 3. Very happy to see Charlie Cox be able to bring that character over to the movie side of the MCU hopefully going forward beyond just this movie.

Hopefully, that means a potential future Kristen Ritter/Jessica Jones shift along with a Jon Bernthal/Punisher move as well. I was also a big fan of those characters and really hoped it wasn't the last of them when Marvel axed the Netflix stuff.

I also liked Colter/Luke Cage.

Maybe leave Iron Fist where he is. ;)

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think the MCU has a a pretty wide tent:
-Realistic (e.g. Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America - Civil War, Black Widow, Spiderman)
-Cosmic (e.g. G of the Galaxy, Thor(s), Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel)

I think Daredevil fits in fairly well on the "realistic" end of things.

With respect to the Cosmic, the MCU has done a pretty good job in not taking it too seriously (as opposed to DC).

It's inherently a bit bizarre and silly so why not have fun with it?

The Netflix shows are much more realistic and dark and violent than anything from the MCU where heroes are friendly and kiddish. Daredevil and Punisher bleed their guts out.

Maximum carnage, Netflix vs MCU:

20c8e01c2ac8fb4b52aaa5921216fe40.png

captain-america.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Netflix shows are much more realistic and dark and violent than anything from the MCU where heroes are friendly and kiddish. Daredevil and Punisher bleed their guts out.

This is true.

It's probably fairly easy to tone down when crossing genres. I think it's possible to have the characters without the gore.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I liked MCU Spidey in Civil War and IW/EG but not so much in his standalone movies - IF you can call them standalone movies, they needed to include Iron Man in the first one to sell tickets

There is a reason Spiderman 3 will pack characters from different universes and apparently other characters from the MCU (apparently Cumberbatch will play in this movie), they will be needed to make this movie a success
Personally I wouldn’t pay for another standalone MCU Spidey movie.
Holland is likeable and talented but he doesn’t have the gravita/charisma to carry his own Spidey movie, that’s why it worked well in the ensemble movies

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I loved the idea of DD in SM3 when the rumor popped up a while ago. It made a lot of sense. Peter needs a lawyer and a new mentor with Tony gone (tony was his avenger mentor, matt could be his streets of NY). They have history in the comics (and kingpin). Cox is already beloved in the role. Disney wants more diversity and this brings a blind hero into the mainstream. Just seems like a great fit.

I really thought this idea was dead with the spiderverse direction...but im glad its still alive!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I loved the idea of DD in SM3 when the rumor popped up a while ago. It made a lot of sense. Peter needs a lawyer and a new mentor with Tony gone (tony was his avenger mentor, matt could be his streets of NY). They have history in the comics (and kingpin). Cox is already beloved in the role. Disney wants more diversity and this brings a blind hero into the mainstream. Just seems like a great fit.

I really thought this idea was dead with the spiderverse direction...but im glad its still alive!

Dr Strange is supposed to take that role.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I liked MCU Spidey in Civil War and IW/EG but not so much in his standalone movies - IF you can call them standalone movies, they needed to include Iron Man in the first one to sell tickets

There is a reason Spiderman 3 will pack characters from different universes and apparently other characters from the MCU (apparently Cumberbatch will play in this movie), they will be needed to make this movie a success
Personally I wouldn’t pay for another standalone MCU Spidey movie.
Holland is likeable and talented but he doesn’t have the gravita/charisma to carry his own Spidey movie, that’s why it worked well in the ensemble movies

Eh. A little agree, a little disagree. I think Holland has plenty of charisma and I think you're overrating Downey's presence in the first movie. I'd really be stunned if any one went into Homecoming simply because Downey was going to be in it for 10 minutes.

But here's where I'll agree with you a little. I think the two Spider-Man movies benefit greatly from having a pair of interesting, charismatic and well-acted villains. Maybe two of the best in all the MCU movies. So they do some lifting on their end of the movie that not all MCU movies have, taking some of that responsibility off Holland. By luck or design, who is to say.

But I won't stand for this Holland slander!!! :)

Reactions: Power Man

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
So the Spider-Man discussion here got me thinking (and I don't feel like doing the actual work I should be doing). Apologies if this has come up in this thread or past threads before. We’ve all done our movie rankings, but how do you feel about each character/character’s series? (i.e. Captain America movies v. Thor movies v. Guardians movies, etc.) How would you rank them? Though it isn’t tops for me, I suspect the Avengers is going to rank highest for most. Bit of an unfair advantage there, but I get it. Individual movies may be a little unfairly penalized as well, but hey we got to work with what we have. Soooooo....

1. Captain America. Almost unfair because the 3rd really is basically an Avengers movie in all but name, but overall probably the set I like the most.

2. Spider-Man. No complaints about either movie. Balances their own stories with the greater needs of the machine nicely.

3. Guardians. The 1st is my favorite individual MCU movie, but the perfectly passable but derivitive sequel holds the duo back overall for me.

4. Ant Man. Lower key Spider-Man situation here. Two very entertaining nicely contained movies carried by a lot of winning, likable performers.

5. Avengers. The last two movies are an incredible and impressive achievement in logistics, which I mean as a sincere compliment. The first two movies aren’t that good. Sorry.

6. Iron Man. I probably underrate 1, properly rate 2 and overrate 3. Honestly I think I prefer Downey more in his cameos than as the central figure.

7. Black Panther. The best of the stand-alone movies to date.

8. Thor. Bigger version of my Guardians issue. Ragnarok might be my second favorite MCU movie. But the first two are pretty forgettable.

9. Dr. Strange. I liked it fine, but again being only one movie holds it back under these parameters.

10. The Incredible Hulk. Honestly better than you probably remember. But it’s still hard to really make an impassioned case for it.

11. Captain Marvel. I think either Brie Larson is miscast or the character is poorly written. Thor is a shining example that early problems can be worked out. But what’s been done to date just didn’t do much for me.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They don't plan on using CGI or holograms to duplicate Boseman, so I'm not sure what the alternative is to writing him off off-screen.

Part of me wonders if he filmed some tiny bit of dialogue or a scene that they've kept under wraps.

They re-cast the character.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Eh. A little agree, a little disagree. I think Holland has plenty of charisma and I think you're overrating Downey's presence in the first movie. I'd really be stunned if any one went into Homecoming simply because Downey was going to be in it for 10 minutes.

But here's where I'll agree with you a little. I think the two Spider-Man movies benefit greatly from having a pair of interesting, charismatic and well-acted villains. Maybe two of the best in all the MCU movies. So they do some lifting on their end of the movie that not all MCU movies have, taking some of that responsibility off Holland. By luck or design, who is to say.

But I won't stand for this Holland slander!!! :)
lol sorry bro , Holland is awesome! :)

As for RDJ's screentime in HC, I didnt expect him to be in there for more than 5-10 minutes, and I'm glad Marvel /Sony went that way
What I meant is that Marvel/Sony banked on Stark's presence in the trailers and marketing to get people excited to go see the movie, RDJ was their cash cow; you would be surprised, I overhead people leaving the theater saying WTF is that shit, no Iron Man in the 3rd act!

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Dr Strange is supposed to take that role.
I don't want him to have another mentor
I want him to be more independent and yes I know that would be unrealistic since he is still a kid

But it would be cool to see Strange mentoring after that rude introduction in Infinity War lol

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
They don't plan on using CGI or holograms to duplicate Boseman, so I'm not sure what the alternative is to writing him off off-screen.

Part of me wonders if he filmed some tiny bit of dialogue or a scene that they've kept under wraps.

I think you can recast the actor, but have the character die a theatre end of BP2 to transition.

It's still a clunky solution, but, there isn't an easy answer on this one.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
But in the same timeline? I know they did it with that Black flying dude (no not that Black flying dude, the other one, fake Iron Man or whatever), but with a major character, seems a little weird. I'd prefer they go with him being "away" for large parts of the film and coming back to save the day (in costume, no need to recast) and dying. Then the cool sister can take his place, and all the incels blame Marvel for having too many female heroes.

Anyway, I say that but really don't care. Though I liked BP a lot more than the usual Marvel films.

Don Cheadle's War Machine is such a side character. I am surprised that he doesn't have any television show or movie coming up when everyone else has something. Just think about it even Hawkeye is going to have a television show. The only one who has been more forgotten is Quicksilver.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Don Cheadle's War Machine is such a side character. I am surprised that he doesn't have any television show or movie coming up when everyone else has something. Just think about it even Hawkeye is going to have a television show. The only one who has been more forgotten is Quicksilver.

I thought there were reports of there being a War Machine D+ show?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I’m not saying it’s gospel, I’m saying it’s under consideration.

Feige and Co. are in a pickle.

I think in the long-run Marvel would end up regretting abruptly ending T'Challa's arc off-screen and too quickly passing the Black Panther mantle on to Shuri.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
It would be easy to tell the story of what happened and saw his demise. Make it similar to the animation done in the first one that explained the history of Black Panther. Better than recasting. That’s a no-win situation.

Maybe it's because I just watched Rogue One, but I think they can give the character a proper exit with a little CGI presence and half a movie in costume.

s3b8pwrl73f41.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
1. Captain America. Almost unfair because the 3rd really is basically an Avengers movie in all but name, but overall probably the set I like the most.
Chris Evans is probably the single worst actor of the entire MCU.
11. Captain Marvel. I think either Brie Larson is miscast or the character is poorly written.
Rumours out there today saying that Brie left or was dropped as Captain Marvel.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

I would never say he's the best, but I always think he delivers exactly what is needed as Cap. I have zero complaints about that performance.

Not sure who I'd single out as being the worst. I guess Larson, but I also think the part to date might be poorly written so I'm reluctant to fully blame her. Hemsworth early on was a bit of a dull drip. Samuel L. Jackson always seems to be on autopilot to me too. Not bad per se.

Reactions: Vaheh

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I think he pulled off a miracle, personally.

Making Captain America likeable and endearing.

Going into First Avenger when it opened in theatres, I was very prepared to hate his guts.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Not sure who I'd single out as being the worst. I guess Larson, but I also think the part to date might be poorly written so I'm reluctant to fully blame her. Hemsworth early on was a bit of a dull drip. Samuel L. Jackson always seems to be on autopilot to me too. Not bad per se.

Part of it is what they have to work with.

I think Elizabeth Olsen ended up doing a fine job with the Scarlet Witch but her debut in Age of Ultron was a bit cringeworthy with the iffy accent and bizarre facial expressions.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3