Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
John Campea said that the fact that they're going to start shooting in July hints strongly that Coogler hasn't written a new script and they're going with his original. That would mean re-casting. They might have even already made the pick but are holding off on releasing it.

They recast Rhodes with Cheadle and there was a bit of a kerfuffle but it ironed out over time.

The biggest downside is that whoever picks up the mantle will be inevitably compared with Boseman and that's not a fun position to be in given the general opinion of him as an actor and perhaps more importantly as a person.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They recast Rhodes with Cheadle and there was a bit of a kerfuffle but it ironed out over time.

The biggest downside is that whoever picks up the mantle will be inevitably compared with Boseman and that's not a fun position to be in given the general opinion of him as an actor and perhaps more importantly as a person.
Pretty much. They do have an option of continuing without him and changing the Black Panther to T'Challa sister Shuri since she did have the mantle in the comics so it would fit in.

Not an easy choice, as long as they can get as good of an actor to take up the role, I think most fans will be ok with it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Pretty much. They do have an option of continuing without him and changing the Black Panther to T'Challa sister Shuri since she did have the mantle in the comics so it would fit in.

Not an easy choice, as long as they can get as good of an actor to take up the role, I think most fans will be ok with it.

I thought about Shuri actually. She's a likeable character and it would be an interesting plot arc as she lacks the gravitas and regal attitude of T'Challa and would have to learn.

You might see a tremendous incel neckbeard reaction with Natalie Portman taking up the Thor mantle and discussions around Morgan Stark being Iron Man and Lila Barton transitioning into Hawkeye based on the new series.

EDIT: Sorry, Kate Bishop, not Lila Barton.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I thought about Shuri actually. She's a likeable character and it would be an interesting plot arc as she lacks the gravitas and regal attitude of T'Challa and would have to learn.

You might see a tremendous incel neckbeard reaction with Natalie Portman taking up the Thor mantle and discussions around Morgan Stark being Iron Man and Lila Barton transitioning into Hawkeye based on the new series.

Ya I can see the incel thing but like some previous complaints about Disney and the use (over use for these incels liking I guess) of women in the movies, All of those are canon in that they appear in the comics in one form or another.

Ironheart is Riri Williams (not Starks daughter)

clean.jpg

Black Panther the mantel was taken up by Shuri for a while a looked badass

Shuri-Black-Panther-female-Marvel-Comics.jpg

Thor of course was Jane for a while (this one I agree with the least due to the real life mythology of Thor, would have preferred a new character name)

thor-4-jane-foster.jpg

Female Hawkeye has I think been sort of confirmed as being like the comics with Kate Bishop being part of the Disney+ series though as of early November it has not been cast yet

upload_2020-12-8_15-12-31.png

There is also Cassie Lang who was aged on purpose and could become Stinger

cassie-and-scott-lang-another-avenger-confirmed-for-ant-man-jpeg-115454.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think they cast Hailee Stanfield as Kate Bishop.

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2020%2F12%2Fhawkeye-marvel-disney-plus-hailee-steinfeld-florence-pugh-casting-001.jpg

Cool I hadn't heard that, how could I miss it! Last I had read in early/mid november there was nobody attached to the role yet but she should be a good choice. She was amazing in True Grit and darn good in Bumblebee and she did play Gwen Stacey's voice in the Sony Into the Spiderverse movie.

Reactions: NyQuil

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

That may be the plan eventually, but I think it would end up being a mistake if they rushed it by writing-off T'Challa off-screen.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Benedict Cumberbatch and Kisten Dunst are also confirmed for Spiderman 3

Ya Doctor Strange is supposed to kind of take over the mentor role Tony had, that was announced a while ago. Also keeps him in the fans minds until The Multiverse of Madness comes out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That may be the plan eventually, but I think it would end up being a mistake if they rushed it by writing-off T'Challa off-screen.

They don't plan on using CGI or holograms to duplicate Boseman, so I'm not sure what the alternative is to writing him off off-screen.

Part of me wonders if he filmed some tiny bit of dialogue or a scene that they've kept under wraps.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
They don't plan on using CGI or holograms to duplicate Boseman, so I'm not sure what the alternative is to writing him off off-screen.

Part of me wonders if he filmed some tiny bit of dialogue or a scene that they've kept under wraps.

Ryan Coogler said they were all so sure he was going to beat cancer they did nothing like this, unfortunately

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

Not sure how they can handle the multiverse thing without being cheesy, but I liked the first two spiderman films so I'll wait and see. I am very happy with this announcement though. He was great as Daredevil. Does this make the series part of the Marvel universe? The tone is really not in line with the movies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not sure how they can handle the multiverse thing without being cheesy, but I liked the first two spiderman films so I'll wait and see. I am very happy with this announcement though. He was great as Daredevil. Does this make the series part of the Marvel universe? The tone is really not in line with the movies.

I think the MCU has a a pretty wide tent:
-Realistic (e.g. Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America - Civil War, Black Widow, Spiderman)
-Cosmic (e.g. G of the Galaxy, Thor(s), Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel)

I think Daredevil fits in fairly well on the "realistic" end of things.

With respect to the Cosmic, the MCU has done a pretty good job in not taking it too seriously (as opposed to DC).

It's inherently a bit bizarre and silly so why not have fun with it?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

This is starting to verge on bonkers but I like it ... though I have some healthy skepticism as well.

BRING BACK TOPHER GRACE'S VENOM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad