Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Damn thats a lot of upcoming Marvel shit.

I dunno, between this and Star Wars I have concerns about just what kind of quality we'll get going forward. Especially the Disney+ side of things. Marvel has proven to know the way on the Movie side of things but it remains to be seen how things will turn out on Disney+.

That said, the trailer for Loki looks sick so definitely looking forward to that one.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
So if any of you have read this awesome story line (One of my favorites) from Brian Bendis (who is now with DC) you’ll know that this opens up the door to the return of Robert Downey Jr to the MCU.

Ms Marvel in Captain Marvel 2!

They’ll both be in the Ms Marvel series if they follow the classic storyline.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
(re)Watched everything Daredevil on Netflix. I thought Jessica Jones was my favorite show, but in terms of rewatchability, I think DD holds up a little better. It's clearly a cultural featherweight compared to Black Panther, but I think it's still my favorite Marvel-related production. I can't see how the character - a hero that bleeds, cries over banal stuff, drinks - can transfer to the official MCU. I'm glad they're giving it a shot, but pretty sure they'll have to soften the whole thing.

Season 1 probably remains overall the best one. It relies a lot on character development and relationships, with realistic violence and some suspense, and makes for a very enjoyable series despite its childish roots. The Kingpin isn't as twisted and evil as JJ's Purple Man, and it works pretty well. Only the mythical-fantasy stuff linked to 'the hand' gets messy, but it's in very little dosage.

Season 2 is kind of weird. It's a great introduction to the Punisher and Elektra, but DD takes the backseat for a good chunk of it. Everything related to the Punisher and the trial remains in tone with Season 1, but the fantasy stuff gets out of hand (pun?). The whole thing feels like it's going in two different direction. Still lots of fun. Oh, that DD suit with the nose showing... yikes.

The Defenders sucks. It only keeps the weaker stuff from DD, it has too many characters and has to weaken them to crude characteristics to advance the story – some of them being really poor to begin with (Luke Cage gets dumb real fast as soon as in proximity to the emo and sulky Iron Fist or his useless sidekick). Sigourney Weaver is the poorest villain of all that DD universe – and the three moves of karate chops chops they try to get out of her are ridiculous (they managed to make Gao and Stick look like decent warriors even though the actors are both older than her).

Season 3 is back to basics. Back to Kingpin, back to the original trio of characters and to no-suit DD. Still, after The Defenders, a lot of damage was done and the characters are kind of caricatural. The overall story might be the best of the whole thing, but the execution is often weak, especially with some narrative short-cuts like DD discussing with an absent Kingpin or his dead father, or the Kingpin visiting flashbacks of Bullseye's childhood. Bullseye's introduction is nowhere near the Punisher's one, but if you consider what they did with that character in the Affleck movie, it's still a huge success.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
(re)Watched everything Daredevil on Netflix. I thought Jessica Jones was my favorite show, but in terms of rewatchability, I think DD holds up a little better. It's clearly a cultural featherweight compared to Black Panther, but I think it's still my favorite Marvel-related production. I can't see how the character - a hero that bleeds, cries over banal stuff, drinks - can transfer to the official MCU. I'm glad they're giving it a shot, but pretty sure they'll have to soften the whole thing.

Season 1 probably remains overall the best one. It relies a lot on character development and relationships, with realistic violence and some suspense, and makes for a very enjoyable series despite its childish roots. The Kingpin isn't as twisted and evil as JJ's Purple Man, and it works pretty well. Only the mythical-fantasy stuff linked to 'the hand' gets messy, but it's in very little dosage.

Season 2 is kind of weird. It's a great introduction to the Punisher and Elektra, but DD takes the backseat for a good chunk of it. Everything related to the Punisher and the trial remains in tone with Season 1, but the fantasy stuff gets out of hand (pun?). The whole thing feels like it's going in two different direction. Still lots of fun. Oh, that DD suit with the nose showing... yikes.

The Defenders sucks. It only keeps the weaker stuff from DD, it has too many characters and has to weaken them to crude characteristics to advance the story – some of them being really poor to begin with (Luke Cage gets dumb real fast as soon as in proximity to the emo and sulky Iron Fist or his useless sidekick). Sigourney Weaver is the poorest villain of all that DD universe – and the three moves of karate chops chops they try to get out of her are ridiculous (they managed to make Gao and Stick look like decent warriors even though the actors are both older than her).

Season 3 is back to basics. Back to Kingpin, back to the original trio of characters and to no-suit DD. Still, after The Defenders, a lot of damage was done and the characters are kind of caricatural. The overall story might be the best of the whole thing, but the execution is often weak, especially with some narrative short-cuts like DD discussing with an absent Kingpin or his dead father, or the Kingpin visiting flashbacks of Bullseye's childhood. Bullseye's introduction is nowhere near the Punisher's one, but if you consider what they did with that character in the Affleck movie, it's still a huge success.
I wonder if any of the actors from the Netflix series will make the transition to the MCU. Lots of rumours, so it should be interesting to see what ends up happening

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I wonder if any of the actors from the Netflix series will make the transition to the MCU. Lots of rumours, so it should be interesting to see what ends up happening

I thought Charlie Cox was confirmed... kind of the reason I went back to watch it. I'm pretty sure they'll sign Bernthal too, considering how good his Punisher was (Lundgren's film was all kind of b-movie fun, but wasn't close to being a Punisher movie... the other attempts were just ridiculous).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

If they do, there will have to be changes to the characters. Netflix owns the versions that were on their shows. They'd have to be changed. I think Kristin Ritter has also said that that she's done with the character after giving birth.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
If they do, there will have to be changes to the characters. Netflix owns the versions that were on their shows. They'd have to be changed. I think Kristin Ritter has also said that that she's done with the character after giving birth.
Yeah, I don't know if I really believe that. I can't see her turning down an offer to join the MCU, unless she is stepping back now that she has a child. It's a gold mine for all of their characters. We'll see. Regardless, Cox and Bernthal are the two I truly want to see back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->