Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
When I can't sleep, I try to give my brain something to catalog to knock myself out. Having rewatched a couple of Marvel movies recently, that's where my mind went. Particularly inspired by Ben Kingsley's just bonkers Iron Man 3 performance (I love it). My question: How many Oscar winning actors/actresses are in Marvel movies?

Unless I missed some, the answer is 17 in the first 23 movies. (And 19 in the first 26 if we count the next three coming, two of which have Oscar winners).

Only TWO Marvel movies have no Oscar winner in the cast. (Unless I missed one). Answers in spoil:
Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Further, another 24 Oscar nominated actors and actresses (again, unless I missed one) are in the movies.

What's also interesting about the Oscar winners is that with one recent exception (Captain Marvel), none of them are main characters. All are villains or supporting characters.

Also, of the 17 winners, 15 won prior to their Marvel roles. Only two have won their Oscars post-Marvel (Jeff Bridges, Sam Rockwell but both of their movies already had an Oscar winner in them).

Chris Hemsworth is the only original Avenger to not be nominated for an Oscar.
(EDIT: Chris Evans too. Duh. My bad)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
When I can't sleep, I try to give my brain something to catalog to knock myself out. Having rewatched a couple of Marvel movies recently, that's where my mind went. Particularly inspired by Ben Kingsley's just bonkers Iron Man 3 performance (I love it). My question: How many Oscar winning actors/actresses are in Marvel movies?

Unless I missed some, the answer is 17 in the first 23 movies. (And 19 in the first 26 if we count the next three coming, two of which have Oscar winners).

Only TWO Marvel movies have no Oscar winner in the cast. (Unless I missed one). Answers in spoil:

Further, another 24 Oscar nominated actors and actresses (again, unless I missed one) are in the movies.

What's also interesting about the Oscar winners is that with one recent exception (Captain Marvel), none of them are main characters. All are villains or supporting characters.

Also, of the 17 winners, 15 won prior to their Marvel roles. Only two have won their Oscars post-Marvel (Jeff Bridges, Sam Rockwell but both of their movies already had an Oscar winner in them).

You could cheat and consider Stallone for Guardians 2. He himself doesnt have an Academy Award, but he did write and star in a best picture winner (Rocky)

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Did Chris Evans get a nomination that I'm not remembering?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Good stuff Mr. Harris :laugh:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
You could cheat and consider Stallone for Guardians 2. He himself doesnt have an Academy Award, but he did write and star in a best picture winner (Rocky)

I intially thought Stallone may have won for writing Rocky alas he did not.
But there is a an Oscar winning writer in one of the Marvel movies ...

Matt Damon, Thor Ragnarok

Also through this process I learned that Robert Redford has only been nominated for ONE acting Oscar which kinda shocked me. Won director for Ordinary People.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I intially thought Stallone may have won for writing Rocky alas he did not.
But there is a an Oscar winning writer in one of the Marvel movies ...

Matt Damon, Thor Ragnarok

Also through this process I learned that Robert Redford has only been nominated for ONE acting Oscar which kinda shocked me. Won director for Ordinary People.
If we're counting that cameo, there's also another Oscar winning writer in Civil War.

9dC79.gif

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I just deleted a post about JK Simmons because I thought I missed him in my initial count but I didn't.

I did, however, not know Jennifer Connolly voiced Peter's AI in Homecoming. So that's 18 Oscar winners.

Reactions: barriers

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I just deleted a post about JK Simmons because I thought I missed him in my initial count but I didn't.

I did, however, not know Jennifer Connolly voiced Peter's AI in Homecoming. So that's 18 Oscar winners.

I was about going to reply about her voice being in Age of Ultron but forgot she voiced Spidey's suit and not F.R.I.D.A.Y.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

No word on how/if they are going to replace Boseman it seems. I know immediately following his death nobody wanted to consider re-casting the role, but everyone was still very emotional at that time and it would come off as disrespectful to ponder replacements so soon. With some time having passed by, maybe that's not the case anymore.

Personally, I would like to see the character re-cast so his story arc can be completed properly. Though I wouldn't be outraged if they chose not to re-cast, I feel that character deserves better than to be written off off-screen. I recall an interview Boseman gave when Black Panther came out about how he wanted there to be a hero for black children to look up to and that there wasn't a character like that when he was growing up. I tend to doubt he would have wanted that character to be written off following his death.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No word on how/if they are going to replace Boseman it seems. I know immediately following his death nobody wanted to consider re-casting the role, but everyone was still very emotional at that time and it would come off as disrespectful to ponder replacements so soon. With some time having passed by, maybe that's not the case anymore.

Personally, I would like to see the character re-cast so his story arc can be completed properly. Though I wouldn't be outraged if they chose not to re-cast, I feel that character deserves better than to be written off off-screen. I recall an interview Boseman gave when Black Panther came out about how he wanted there to be a hero for black children to look up to and that there wasn't a character like that when he was growing up. I tend to doubt he would have wanted that character to be written off following his death.

John Campea said that the fact that they're going to start shooting in July hints strongly that Coogler hasn't written a new script and they're going with his original. That would mean re-casting. They might have even already made the pick but are holding off on releasing it.

Reactions: Shockmaster

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
They'll recast. It's the right call all around. We've had (and will continue to have) countless Batmans, Supermans, Spider-Mans, etc. It's part of business. These roles are forever.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
They'll recast. It's the right call all around. We've had (and will continue to have) countless Batmans, Supermans, Spider-Mans, etc. It's part of business. These roles are forever.

But in the same timeline? I know they did it with that Black flying dude (no not that Black flying dude, the other one, fake Iron Man or whatever), but with a major character, seems a little weird. I'd prefer they go with him being "away" for large parts of the film and coming back to save the day (in costume, no need to recast) and dying. Then the cool sister can take his place, and all the incels blame Marvel for having too many female heroes.

Anyway, I say that but really don't care. Though I liked BP a lot more than the usual Marvel films.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
But in the same timeline? I know they did it with that Black flying dude (no not that Black flying dude, the other one, fake Iron Man or whatever), but with a major character, seems a little weird. I'd prefer they go with him being "away" for large parts of the film and coming back to save the day (in costume, no need to recast) and dying. Then the cool sister can take his place, and all the incels blame Marvel for having too many female heroes.

Anyway, I say that but really don't care. Though I liked BP a lot more than the usual Marvel films.

Yo. You want to really blow some minds. What about Black Panther ... but WHITE. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad