Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Literally the first sentence:

They used to get a lot better review scores. The amount of people playing it has dropped drastically in around 5 years.
And yet it still received good reviews from critics and players and made a ton of money. It meets your criteria unless you want to move the goalposts.

Anyway, I doubt Sony will be able to make a good live action spiderman film again. Venom was a disaster and I imagine they're just going to try to emulate Disney's style but fail. I'm okay with not seeing Spider-Man on the big screen if it's between Sony making crap and Disney making formulaic superhero movie #38.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And yet it still received good reviews from critics and players and made a ton of money. It meets your criteria unless you want to move the goalposts.

Anyway, I doubt Sony will be able to make a good live action spiderman film again. Venom was a disaster and I imagine they're just going to try to emulate Disney's style but fail. I'm okay with not seeing Spider-Man on the big screen if it's between Sony making crap and Disney making formulaic superhero movie #38.

I don't have to move goalposts but I will do so unashamedly. Marvel Studios success>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CoD franchise as it is now and since I brought it up, why did you only focus on the most recent CoD game?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I don't have to move goalposts but I will do so unashamedly. Marvel Studios success>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CoD franchise as it is now and since I brought it up, why did you only focus on the most recent CoD game?
It's called an example. I don't know why you are so fixated on CoD. Hell, we can use Pokemon as a comparison too. They all make a ton of money, are well received by critics and fans, and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Are any of CoD/Pokemon/MCU innovative or fresh these days? No, but people eat that shit up.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Copied from superherohype.com forums:

Tom Rothman is...

The same guy who hired Tim Story for both Fantastic Four movies, and the primary reason why Peyton Reed’s 60 Fantastic Four film never got made at Fox.

The same guy who mandated that Galactus be a giant cloud in Rise Of The Silver Surfer.

Meddled heavily on Wolverine: Origins.

The same guy who prevented the Sentinels from being in X3 and meddled heavily with the film.

The same guy who singlehandly prevented a Deadpool film from being made at Fox for several years until he left.

The same guy who was ousted from Fox.

This guy is a professional thorn on everyone’s side and his suckiness has struck again. Worst studio head ever.

Sony's stock dropped immediately:

Sony Stock Drops After Breaking up With Marvel Studios on Spider-Man

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Disney has unleashed their army of super-fans to try to get a bigger cut on their deal with Sony. I guess use 'em if you got 'em, Sony certainly doesn't have their own rabid fans to rile up, they've been releasing mostly crap for a while now.

Reactions: Voight

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Copied from superherohype.com forums:

Sony's stock dropped immediately:

Sony Stock Drops After Breaking up With Marvel Studios on Spider-Man

That seems likely a fairly minor stock fluctuation. Keep in mind that Sony has a market cap of $72B. The profits of a few Spiderman films barely makes a dent.

I'm also not crazy about Disney rallying fan pressure as a negotiating tactic. I'm not one to panic too much about Disney holding too much power in the industry, but I don't think fans should be so willing to be pawns in corporate negotiations. Let the studios figure out how to divide the pie. Vote with your wallet by seeing the films that interest you the most.

It's also weird to have actors weigh in. You'd think Renner wouldn't be keen on burning bridges at other studios. It's not like he's going to be exclusively making films for Disney for the rest of his career.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That seems likely a fairly minor stock fluctuation. Keep in mind that Sony has a market cap of $72B. The profits of a few Spiderman films barely makes a dent.

I'm also not crazy about Disney rallying fan pressure as a negotiating tactic. I'm not one to panic too much about Disney holding too much power in the industry, but I don't think fans should be so willing to be pawns in corporate negotiations. Let the studios figure out how to divide the pie. Vote with your wallet by seeing the films that interest you the most.

It's also weird to have actors weigh in. You'd think Renner wouldn't be keen on burning bridges at other studios. It's not like he's going to be exclusively making films for Disney for the rest of his career.

Seems the fans are doing it themselves with Disney just watching back. Or rather, Sony's previous work with Spider-Man on their own is rallying the fans.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Here's one thing I don't totally get about this whole thing.

How is this confirmed as a reality? Can't they sign a deal at any point before Sony moved into filming/production of a new Spiderman movie?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
They can reference stuff they have the rights to, but I don't think they could reference Iron Man, for example. Going to make it really weird.

I'm not so sure about that

I mean, Superman was often referenced in Seinfeld episodes, but they didn't own the rights to him

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm not so sure about that

I mean, Superman was often referenced in Seinfeld episodes, but they didn't own the rights to him

If a company is willing to get litigious over minutiae, then they can block nearly any specific mention or image of that IP (so in this case, I think something like, "He has more metal than Iron Man" joke about a guy who got shot 12 times is about as far you could go if Disney is assertive of their protection).

Like how no one can call the Super Bowl the "Super Bowl" because the NFL owns the trademark and is very aggressive about it.

But it depends if the company is willing to pursue it or not.

Keep in mind that parodies and educational videos are exceptions to this.

Anyway, I'll withhold opinion until I learn what screwed up negotiations.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Disney wanted a bigger piece of the pie, and Sony knew they had the advantage. Sony can make crap Spiderman movies, people still go to see them (See The Amazing Spiderman for Reference) and a company as big as them wouldn't care one way or the other.

Disney/Marvel need Spidey as their new face of the MCU, or at least need him a lot more than Sony does.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I didn’t love Far From Home, but this is a big blow to the Avengers’ future imo. I like other new characters but none even close to Spider-Man. I feel like they’ll work this out eventually though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Apparently Tom Holland unfollowed both Sony and Sony pictures on Instagram.

Tom Holland has the Uncharted film under development with Sony right now with a supposed release date of December 2020.

You can't read too much into socially media follows, but man, that's one way for this to spin out of control for Sony, if it starts impacting their other projects.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Disney wanted a bigger piece of the pie, and Sony knew they had the advantage. Sony can make crap Spiderman movies, people still go to see them (See The Amazing Spiderman for Reference) and a company as big as them wouldn't care one way or the other.

Disney/Marvel need Spidey as their new face of the MCU, or at least need him a lot more than Sony does.

Do they really though? They still have Thor, Guardians, Black Panther, and even Doctor Strange is gaining some attention. Not to mention they still have to bring in the Fantastic Four and X-Men. What has made the MCU so great is they were able to take B-list characters and turn them into movie hits. If they need to lean on Spider-Man to keep them alive, well they're probably not going to succeed anyway. Not saying this doesn't add a wrinkle in things, but the success/failure of the MCU is not tied directly to Spider-Man - or to any one character, for that matter.

Reactions: Kurtz

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Do they really though? They still have Thor, Guardians, Black Panther, and even Doctor Strange is gaining some attention.

Netflix showed that even Daredevil could be used right. It's not like they lack characters anyway, losing Spiderman would be a blow, but nothing they wouldn't be able to dodge.

Anyway, couldn't care less about Spidey, I'm just waiting for a darker side to the MCU with Punisher and Moon Knight movies. Phase 12 maybe. One can hope.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If Sony made another Spidey movie I think a good number of movie watchers would wait on the reviews to decide to see it or not. If it’s another one like the last one Sony did with Electro then the movie will under perform.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Do they really though? They still have Thor, Guardians, Black Panther, and even Doctor Strange is gaining some attention. Not to mention they still have to bring in the Fantastic Four and X-Men. What has made the MCU so great is they were able to take B-list characters and turn them into movie hits. If they need to lean on Spider-Man to keep them alive, well they're probably not going to succeed anyway. Not saying this doesn't add a wrinkle in things, but the success/failure of the MCU is not tied directly to Spider-Man - or to any one character, for that matter.

Spidey wasn't even going to be in Phase 4 and probably phase 5 either so this probably won't affect future plans much either.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Highest grossing Sony film ever.

Only because of how much the market has changed outside North America. The 2002 Spider-Man film earned less than $5 million from China, meanwhile 2019 Venom pulls in $269 million from China.

The raw worldwide numbers favor Far From Home, but given the context of China and the adjusted domestic numbers (Far From Home will probably land somewhere underneath 2002’s raw numbers and not touch any of Raimi’s trilogy in adjusted numbers), I think Sony is aware that they can make hugely successful Spider-Man films too.

If they capture the same magic that their first two Raimi films did, but with 2/3rds of the total money coming from overseas (the Far From Home ratio) instead of 50:50 (the 2002 and 2004 ratio), they’re going to make a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad