Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Disney wanted a bigger piece of the pie, and Sony knew they had the advantage. Sony can make crap Spiderman movies, people still go to see them (See The Amazing Spiderman for Reference) and a company as big as them wouldn't care one way or the other.

Disney/Marvel need Spidey as their new face of the MCU, or at least need him a lot more than Sony does.

Disney keeps insisting Captain Marvel will be the face of the MCU moving forward. Whether or not fans embrace that has yet to be seen.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Only because of how much the market has changed outside North America. The 2002 Spider-Man film earned less than $5 million from China, meanwhile 2019 Venom pulls in $269 million from China.

The raw worldwide numbers favor Far From Home, but given the context of China and the adjusted domestic numbers (Far From Home will probably land somewhere underneath 2002’s raw numbers and not touch any of Raimi’s trilogy in adjusted numbers), I think Sony is aware that they can make hugely successful Spider-Man films too.

If they capture the same magic that their first two Raimi films did, but with 2/3rds of the total money coming from overseas (the Far From Home ratio) instead of 50:50 (the 2002 and 2004 ratio), they’re going to make a lot of money.

Yeah, I wasn’t arguing any of this.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Spiderman will be back imo.

It might not be in the near future, but i am willing to predict that Spiderman will go back to being in the mcu.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Why is it a stupid decision by Sony? They should be applauded for not bending over to Disney.

Because without Feige involved, their Spider-Man movies will suck. They said he helped with stuff he wasn't even credited for, maybe Into the Spiderverse as well? Point is, even with a 50-50 split on production costs and profit sharing, Sony would still make a lot money. Their track record without Feige is not so good on the live action front after Spider-Man 2 and before Homecoming.

There's also rumors that Disney wanted at least 30% cost and profit sharing and even that was a no go for Sony.

Tom Holland seemed to have made it clear he wants to stay in the MCU:

Even his dad got in the act:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I would have been more than willing to bet he would have gotten the third movie of his trilogy in Phase 5. Doubt they would wait that long between movies.

If he stays in the MCU, it would be interesting when they'd be able to get it film out. The Marvel release calendar is pretty crowded right now.

They have the next two years locked down. I think beyond that, the next likeliest projects to get released are GOTG3 and Black Panther 2. There's also franchises like Captain Marvel and Antman which Matvel is trying to get out and are safe money makers for them.

And then there's new projects and characters on the horizon, including Blade or whatever they're planning with the Fox properties.

Unless Marvel bumps up their output to 4 films a year, you can easily see a scenario where a MCU Spiderman film could only come in 2024 or later, even without this fighting in the background.

Edit: The more I think about the scheduling, I'm wondering if this is one's if the negotiation issues. Sony would want a Spiderman film in development right away as it's their biggest franchise. For Marvel, it's a much smaller priority that can be pushed off a few years.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Do they really though? They still have Thor, Guardians, Black Panther, and even Doctor Strange is gaining some attention. Not to mention they still have to bring in the Fantastic Four and X-Men. What has made the MCU so great is they were able to take B-list characters and turn them into movie hits. If they need to lean on Spider-Man to keep them alive, well they're probably not going to succeed anyway. Not saying this doesn't add a wrinkle in things, but the success/failure of the MCU is not tied directly to Spider-Man - or to any one character, for that matter.

They don't need him to keep them alive but it just seemed that they were gearing their storylines and some of the marketing towards him. I mean he is the most popular superhero of all time so its a good choice, I just figured they'd want a deal done before Far From Home came out.

Disney keeps insisting Captain Marvel will be the face of the MCU moving forward. Whether or not fans embrace that has yet to be seen.

Not a bad choice either.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
In my opinion it would've been better if Spider-Man wasn't in the MCU to begin with. Especially if this was going to happen. But, even before that him being in the MCU has taken everything away from what Spider-Man used to be about. We haven't seen him go through a grind (like fighting multiple supervillains), be torn between being Peter/Spidey and he has like zero financial trouble thanks to Tony. His only issue is that he's scared he won't be able to fill Iron Man's shoes. Might as well call him "Iron Boy with spider powers".

I think it'll be better for the MCU too. They can focus on bringing up other heroes and storylines that rarely see the light of day.

Reactions: discostu

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
In my opinion it would've been better if Spider-Man wasn't in the MCU to begin with. Especially if this was going to happen. But, even before that him being in the MCU has taken everything away from what Spider-Man used to be about. We haven't seen him go through a grind (like fighting multiple supervillains), be torn between being Peter/Spidey and he has like zero financial trouble thanks to Tony. His only issue is that he's scared he won't be able to fill Iron Man's shoes. Might as well call him "Iron Boy with spider powers".

I think it'll be better for the MCU too. They can focus on bringing up other heroes and storylines that rarely see the light of day.

Ummm… have you not watched the MCU movies? They have very much touched on this, especially in Far From Home :laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Ummm… have you not watched the MCU movies? They have very much touched on this, especially in Far From Home :laugh:

One of the best scenes in the MCU is exactly this. And they did it better than any other Spider-Man movie ever has.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Also, in Far From Home, the conflict is escalated because Peter wants to just go and enjoy his trip with MJ.

Yeah true, thats the entire set up of the movie.

I did find it weird though that Aunt May was pushing him to take his suit instead of pushing him to relax and "just be a kid".

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Because without Feige involved, their Spider-Man movies will suck. They said he helped with stuff he wasn't even credited for, maybe Into the Spiderverse as well? Point is, even with a 50-50 split on production costs and profit sharing, Sony would still make a lot money.

Not enough compared to what Spider-Man is worth. Having Feige make the film was worth the investment of production costs because it was a guaranteed hit for them. But you don’t want to cap the value at 50% ($450-550 million, give or take) when you’ve just proven that a Spider-Man villain can make over $850 million.

Marvel jumpstarted the MCU on the backs of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America. If you’re Sony and you’ve got Venom and Spider-Man who are proven commodities, how do you not at least take a chance on Morbius (risky) and Black Cat (less risky) and a team-up movie with those four leads against Carnage?

Trying to replicate the 2008-2012 MCU formula is a tall order, but it’s going to be a lot easier with both Spider-Man and Venom doing the heavy lifting than just Venom. And if it doesn’t pan out, it’s not like Disney is never going to come to the table again. Spider-Man movie rights are always going to have value. The worst Sony can do is put themselves in the exact same position they were in when they took this deal in the first place.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Not enough compared to what Spider-Man is worth. Having Feige make the film was worth the investment of production costs because it was a guaranteed hit for them. But you don’t want to cap the value at 50% ($450-550 million, give or take) when you’ve just proven that a Spider-Man villain can make over $850 million.

Marvel jumpstarted the MCU on the backs of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America. If you’re Sony and you’ve got Venom and Spider-Man who are proven commodities, how do you not at least take a chance on Morbius (risky) and Black Cat (less risky) and a team-up movie with those four leads against Carnage?

Trying to replicate the 2008-2012 MCU formula is a tall order, but it’s going to be a lot easier with both Spider-Man and Venom doing the heavy lifting than just Venom. And if it doesn’t pan out, it’s not like Disney is never going to come to the table again. Spider-Man movie rights are always going to have value. The worst Sony can do is put themselves in the exact same position they were in when they took this deal in the first place.

Some very good points, but I think you do undersell the underlying risk here to Sony.

They can go it alone, but if audiences don't react well to a Spiderman outside the MCU, and they see declining returns like they were out of the Andrew Garfield ones, they get faced with continuing to push out breakeven or even money losing films, or have the rights revert back to Marvel.

There's no guarantee Marvel comes back to the table. They're made the deal initially as Fiege seemed to want Spiderman for a specific storyline. If they feel they don't really need the character at that point in time, they can try and force Sony's hand.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It sucks for us fans caught in the middle and it may be a horrible business decision from Sony but executives being what they are I wonder if it isn't more a quantity thing than a revenue split. Like under MCU Spiderman will appear in the odd Marvel movie (Civil War, Avengers) but otherwise they have so many movies to make that a stand alone Spiderman film is only going to come out every 4-5 years. With comic book movies and Spidey in particular being such a big hit these days you have to wonder if some higher ups think they can do better cranking out more quantity on their own, trying to make that whole "Spider-verse" thing work as their own MCU/DCU.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Sony movies will likely suck again and the MCU has lost too many beloved characters recently to get away unscathed too.

Losing Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man within a matter of months is going to hurt. I have severe doubts that the likes of Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange are going to be as successful doing the heavy lifting in the "team up" movies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Sony movies will likely suck again and the MCU has lost too many beloved characters recently to get away unscathed too.

Losing Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man within a matter of months is going to hurt. I have severe doubts that the likes of Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange are going to be as successful doing the heavy lifting in the "team up" movies.

79a18d5ed973c1a4d03950f978f81ad8.jpg

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

As successful as before? Probably not. But I think they can be successful. Seems like people really are coming around on Dr. Strange. Black Panther will be able to hold his own. And let's not forget they still have Thor, the Guardians, and eventually the F4 & X-Men.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As successful as before? Probably not. But I think they can be successful. Seems like people really are coming around on Dr. Strange. Black Panther will be able to hold his own. And let's not forget they still have Thor, the Guardians, and eventually the F4 & X-Men.

Of course - it's the Disney juggernaut. But I could see things slipping a la Star Wars.

Things were already going to be in flux on account of the Infinity Saga ending, and losing another great bit of casting for an iconic character - this time without wrapping things up neatly - takes more air out of the balloon and represents another hit to the continuity, which is one of the MCU's biggest draws. I have less of a vested interest in the remaining heros...it's nice to see Thor's still around, but who knows what they're planning for Hemsworth.

This is one of those break-ups that's going to negatively affect both parties. They're much better together and should have done everything to find a way to make it work.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
By all logic, the next decade for Marvel should be less successful than the last. Their run has been unprecedented, and it should be unsustainable.

That said, I see too many surefire hits in their pipeline. The next two years of projects recently announced are probably the riskiest period they've had. Yet, when you look at the calendar from other studios, it's hard to find other projects that you'd expect to outperform.

Barring audiences from really turning on superheros as a preferred genre, I think Marvel films will continue to be among the biggest hits of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad