Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I will say, if this doesn't get fixed... there will definitely be a good amount of pressure on Sony for the next Spider-Man movie. They're going to look pretty bad if the movie does poorly. But that's not what I'm hoping for. As much as I love the MCU, I'm all for a successful Spider/Venomverse over at Sony too.

Would Sony even be allowed to reference anything that happened with Spiderman in the MCU? If not, and Tom Holland is still Spiderman, that's gonna be really hard to sell.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Would Sony even be allowed to reference anything that happened with Spiderman in the MCU? If not, and Tom Holland is still Spiderman, that's gonna be really hard to sell.

They can reference stuff they have the rights to, but I don't think they could reference Iron Man, for example. Going to make it really weird.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They can reference stuff they have the rights to, but I don't think they could reference Iron Man, for example. Going to make it really weird.

Yeah, that's why I just can't see it working out for very long if it's Tom Holland. But I don't think they can do yet another reboot so soon.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I’d rather see them do a “gritty” Spider-Man 4 with Tobey McGuire than try and make a Tom Holland movie that can’t even acknowledge his character development from basically the last 5 movies.

There is no sense in trying to integrate him into a solo Sony-verse if they can’t even reference this stuff. Just reboot it again. Not that that would be good, but it would be better than a hamstrung Holland mess.

Reactions: Shockmaster

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Everyone has. What's so special about what Disney is doing with Spider-Man that hasn't already been seen before?

Well, this is weird. First people complain that they don't like what the MCU has done with Spider-Man, and now we get complaints that they haven't done anything new. ME SO CONFUSED.

Reactions: Jussi

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I’d rather see them do a “gritty” Spider-Man 4 with Tobey McGuire than try and make a Tom Holland movie that can’t even acknowledge his character development from basically the last 5 movies.

There is no sense in trying to integrate him into a solo Sony-verse if they can’t even reference this stuff. Just reboot it again. Not that that would be good, but it would be better than a hamstrung Holland mess.

I certainly don't know for sure, but I'd imagine Vulture and Mysterio and their associated stories are all Sony's property, not Marvel so it isn't like this makes everything that came before it irrelevant. My guess is that the hands-off material would be Iron Man, the snap, The Avengers etc. But they already dealt with that stuff and the fallout of it in Far From Home. The last movie wasn't just a break in MCU's story, but in Spider-Man's as well. The point they leave off at is one where the story can go in its own direction without the MCU (or direct referencing of the Avengers). We don't really need another movie of Peter being sad about Tony. As for Spider-Man's role with the Avengers ... that's Marvel's fault for giving him a big role when they don't control him. That's a Marvel problem, not a Sony problem. (And why I think Sony has more leverage than people believe).

Scrapping it and starting again would just be some weak appeasement to Marvel and its fans. Sony has a big ol' home run of a hit with a great cast (minus the supporting MCU people who aren't essential to a Spider-Man story anyway) and a good creative direction. Giving that up would be moronic.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Well, this is weird. First people complain that they don't like what the MCU has done with Spider-Man, and now we get complaints that they haven't done anything new. ME SO CONFUSED.
It can be both bud. They've made poor decisions with him. That's the whole point.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Go Into the SpiderVerse. Kill Peter Parker in the first 10 mins and focus on Miles.

Reactions: xtra and Pilky01

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I guess CoD games are the GOAT. Low effort, low creativity media that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Those are the facts.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I guess CoD games are the GOAT. Low effort, low creativity media that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Those are the facts.

:facepalm:

Marvel Studios films check the boxes on 3 main categories: critical reception, financial results and fan reception. CoD doesn't.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Uh... how did we start comparing the MCU to the CoD franchise? You have to have a really warped sense of reality to think those two things are even remotely comparable.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Go Into the SpiderVerse. Kill Peter Parker in the first 10 mins and focus on Miles.

I really like this idea. Would be very ‘subversive’ and a great way to make a clean break away from MCU Spidey.

Hasn’t everyone been saying this? Lol

Not the people who think Black Panther and Captain Marvel’s success was because of diversity. They think the MCU is just getting started.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Not the people who think Black Panther and Captain Marvel’s success was because of diversity. They think the MCU is just getting started.

Nah, they just think the diversity can help it stay relevant instead of completely falling off, which is a very valid thought. I don't think Marvel will ever get back to where they were, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to completely fall off either. And expanding your audiences with movies like Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Shang-Chi, etc. only helps that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad