Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm glad that Spidey is leaving. The quality of the MCU has gone down since GotG 2 and Endgame. Although Thor and Shang-Chi will be good, DC is the future for quality hero films.

It’s been one movie since Endgame, which was widely liked by both critics and audiences.

Also, DC is the future? Why don’t we let them put together a string of successful films before declaring them the future. Don’t get me wrong, I have actually enjoyed some of the DC films. But they’re not even close to the same level as Marvel yet, and they have a long ways to go to prove they can get there.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Spiderman has been a really minor character in the MCU and he's basically in that cliche role as the kid learning what it means to be a hero. It's a total joke to treat your flagship hero like that so I can't say I'm sad to see Disney lose him.

You ever watched a Spider-Man movie before?

Reactions: Jussi

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I rented End Game the other day.

Not so great. I can't understand why it was such a blockbuster movie.

The worst thing is when they decide to include everyone in this movie. Is it really necessary to include Don Cheadle and Jon Favreau?

I don't know why I keep going to these movies. I think I might stop.

Sorry

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It’s been one movie since Endgame, which was widely liked by both critics and audiences.

Also, DC is the future? Why don’t we let them put together a string of successful films before declaring them the future. Don’t get me wrong, I have actually enjoyed some of the DC films. But they’re not even close to the same level as Marvel yet, and they have a long ways to go to prove they can get there.

I thought The Green Lantern was underrated.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

The worst thing is when they decide to include everyone in this movie. Is it really necessary to include Don Cheadle and Jon Favreau?

Sorry

It was the culmination of 20+ films. Did you really expect it to have just about 6 or so actors in it? :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Sorry

I mean... Don Cheadle was essentially part of the Avengers... soooo yeah.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It was the culmination of 20+ films. Did you really expect it to have just about 6 or so actors in it? :laugh:

I really don't expect a lot actually. Chris Evans is not that good an actor and his character is so poorly written. So what you lack in quality you make up with quantity.

I hope you go to all the Don Cheadle films. You might find that you have an empty stomach at the end.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I really don't expect a lot actually. Chris Evans is not that good an actor and his character is so poorly written. So what you lack in quality you make up with quantity.

I hope you go to all the Don Cheadle films. You might find that you have an empty stomach at the end.

This doesn't get talked about a lot, but I happen to agree with your take on Chris Evans and Captain America. I understand why he appeals to the masses, but he's just dull.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This doesn't get talked about a lot, but I happen to agree with your take on Chris Evans and Captain America. I understand why he appeals to the masses, but he's just dull.

I really liked the Captain America arc and portrayal in the MCU. As superheros have gotten darker and more cynical, the clean cut character became a contrast in comparison.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I really liked the Captain America arc and portrayal in the MCU. As superheros have gotten darker and more cynical, the clean cut character became a contrast in comparison.

I also thought it was about as good as you can get with that kind of character if you want to stick true to his comic book self. The character is fairly limited overall, but I enjoyed his arc. I can't comment on Evans' acting abilities outside of the MCU, as I haven't seen a ton of his work... but I thought he played this role very well.

Reactions: Jussi

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I’m happy we got Spider-Man in the MCU, but I’m also happy that he’s leaving for now. I think there’s more to be gained with cross-over with Venom, Black Cat, Morbius, and Carnage than there is in the wait for the end of Phase 5 when the MCU is done with the origin stories of Fantastic Four and the X-Men and is ready for a team-up movie.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm glad that Spidey is leaving. The quality of the MCU has gone down since GotG 2 and Endgame. Although Thor and Shang-Chi will be good, DC is the future for quality hero films.

endgame is the second most recent film?

also so far dc has sucked butt compared ti mcu

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Aquaman was good
WW was good
Shazam was really good

Titans is pretty awesome
Doom Patrol f***ing kicks ass
I haven't watched Swamp thing yet, but by all accounts it's amazing
Flash and the Arrow have been a thing forever now.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Well someone has a weird disliking to Don Cheadle... Let me guess, you're a hutu/tutsi who didn't appreciate Hotel Rwanda?

So much disrespect towards a Thanos survivor and the voice of Donald Duck.

95nqx9zo07k11.jpg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Aquaman was good
WW was good
Shazam was really good

Titans is pretty awesome
Doom Patrol ****ing kicks ass
I haven't watched Swamp thing yet, but by all accounts it's amazing
Flash and the Arrow have been a thing forever now.

Shazam! was ok, trailers showed too much and the humor was way too much aimed at children/idiots. Also the the action scenes were very underwhelming, both in design and appearance.

Titans was good but went way overboard with f-bombs and violence considering the source material. Season two looks more proper based on the trailer.

Swamp Thing was good until the last episode.

The Flash was good, then got mediocre due to incessant Barry Allen stupidity (the biggest Flash fan here could go at length about it) but got better last season. Arrow...well let's just say that it's ending way too late.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Shazam! was ok, trailers showed too much and the humor was way too much aimed at children/idiots. Also the the action scenes were very underwhelming, both in design and appearance.

Titans was good but went way overboard with f-bombs and violence considering the source material. Season two looks more proper based on the trailer.

Swamp Thing was good until the last episode.

The Flash was good, then got mediocre due to incessant Barry Allen stupidity (the biggest Flash fan here could go at length about it) but got better last season. Arrow...well let's just say that it's ending way too late.

Did Arrow get past its CW teen-drama phase that it had in season 3? I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but couldn't make it through that.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I will say, if this doesn't get fixed... there will definitely be a good amount of pressure on Sony for the next Spider-Man movie. They're going to look pretty bad if the movie does poorly. But that's not what I'm hoping for. As much as I love the MCU, I'm all for a successful Spider/Venomverse over at Sony too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I will say, if this doesn't get fixed... there will definitely be a good amount of pressure on Sony for the next Spider-Man movie. They're going to look pretty bad if the movie does poorly. But that's not what I'm hoping for. As much as I love the MCU, I'm all for a successful Spider/Venomverse over at Sony too.

There's a good chance a new deal will be before D23 begins this week (Grace Randolph flashed 30% on her video about this). Disney are building a Spider-Man ride at their California park's new Marvel Land and it would feel odd to have that there.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

The recent MCU films are far better than what DC has been producing, and the Marvel/Netflix shows were lightyears ahead of the crap DC puts on TV, but still, nothing from the MCU comes close to Nolan's [edit!] Batman trilogy. And I expect more from the new Joker movie than from pretty much anything coming from Marvel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad