Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I am so happy we got the movies we have gotten.

I don't think 'Young Avengers' is a very good idea, but hey, they made GOTG work so they have earned their shot.

Early reviews for Ant-Man and the Wasp sound about right.....a fun superhero film and a good 'palette cleanser' after Infinity War.
We need something a little lighter to help everyone get over Infinity Wars, it got pretty dark :laugh:

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Pretty cool. I mean, I'm assuming it'll just have the deleted scenes included in the film but none the less it's nice to have

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Its nice to have but I definitely didn't leave the theatre thinking "I wish it had more Thanos".

But also makes sense. Doubtful they would cut literally any superhero'ing out of the film.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
It's weird editing videos that are not hockey related plus starting a new channel. Just finished my latest video. :nod:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

0af5b378618d3e6a05ead542a87790a8

Reactions: irunthepeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Wut?

I think I get what they are saying, it seems to already exist anyways, complaining about only white people supposedly being bad guys yadda yadda in Star Wars...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There are definitely YouTube channels who are making a living off of being outraged by Star Wars, but for example, one of those channels is called 'Geeks + Gamers' and they just put up their video for Ant-Man and The Wasp and the guy could barely be more effusive in his praise.

People like Moviebob are heavily invested in the "manbabies hate women in movies" narrative. It is how they brand themselves; in opposition to "manbabies". Seeing as the fake outrage about movie posters for Ant-Man and The Wasp fizzled out well before the movie even released, and now that "the fandom" along with general audiences are praising the movie up and down, Moviebob and his ilk need to move on to speculative outrage over the next female led superhero movie.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There are definitely YouTube channels who are making a living off of being outraged by Star Wars, but for example, one of those channels is called 'Geeks + Gamers' and they just put up their video for Ant-Man and The Wasp and the guy could barely be more effusive in his praise.

People like Moviebob are heavily invested in the "manbabies hate women in movies" narrative. It is how they brand themselves; in opposition to "manbabies". Seeing as the fake outrage about movie posters for Ant-Man and The Wasp fizzled out well before the movie even released, and now that "the fandom" along with general audiences are praising the movie up and down, Moviebob and his ilk need to move on to speculative outrage over the next female led superhero movie.

Been in the trenches on one side maybe what he's saying is actually true but it's just going to be a small obscure internet fight that no one pays attention too? :sarcasm:

I actually generally like MovieBob. I don't tend to follow channels on youtube, but I had come across his video game stuff (game overthinker) before he got/started the MovieBob gig on the Escapists, where I continued to watch his stuff every week. From the video game part he's an old school Nintendo geek who's opinions there meshed well with my own, and also an avid comic book geek and movie buff so a good guy to follow as the Marvel movies were coming out. Hadn't actually watched any of his reviews for a few years but a month or two ago I got back into some.

...and yes, he really dove head first into these internet culture wars. It was always there to a small degree before so he's not really faking it, but he's really ramped it up. While I generally agree with him when the opportunity presents itself he takes way too much joy in diving in and trashing "manbabies" in his reviews, to the point where it seems like he'll like a bad movie specifically because the 'anti-sjw' crowd hated it.

So I don't know maybe being over the top like that gets you a better market share on youtube?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That is a big part of it. On both YouTube and Twitter you are going to have a very hard time getting noticed without taking some outlandish positions. And so if you rely on YouTube/Twitter visibility for your income then you are going to be particularly susceptible to those temptations.

A lot of his old content is great, but I think he is either slipping professionally, or just losing interest in the "nerd culture" stuff he made his name on. He has become just an old, Andy Rooney type, endlessly grousing about The Last Jedi, Batman v Superman and manbabies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Disney has made some release date changes including a far off Marvel movie.

That untitled Marvel movie going from July 2021 to February is interesting though. Right now, for 2020, there are untitled Marvel movies scheduled for May 1, July 31, and November 6. The next one after that was supposed to be May 7, 2021—but now the company is slotting something into that first quarter slot which Captain Marvel has lined up for next year, and Black Panther rode to great success this year. Maybe this will be a similar new hero origin story or maybe even Black Panther 2.
Though we probably won’t know until next summer what that movie is, the move suggests Disney already has something in mind and is excited about it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am really looking forward to Black Panther 2, much moreso than the first. The first was all well and good, but it was still an origin story. I'm looking forward to BP2 spending more time in the US and him teaming up with other heroes. Id love some Blacn Panther and Spidey cross over...but then I would also like Spidey teaming up with anybody.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Have they announced the release date years for Spiderman 2 and GotG3?

They should just hold another one of those press conference showings like they did a few years ago to show everything from Civil War to Infinity War. Its smart to wait till after A4 then announce a bunch of stuff and get people excited again.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Have they announced the release date years for Spiderman 2 and GotG3?

This is the release schedule right now and confirmed movies that we know are coming are Black Panther 2, GOTG3 and Black Widow.

GOTG3 will presumably be a 2020 release. Feb 12, 2021 is almost certainly going to be Black Panther 2, everything else is up in the air.

Mar 8, 2019Captain Marvel
May 3, 2019Avengers 4 Untitled
Jul 5, 2019Spider-Man: Far From Home
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
May 1, 2020Untitled Film
Jul 31, 2020Untitled Film
Nov 6, 2020Untitled Film
Feb 12, 2021Untitled Film
May 7, 2021Untitled Film
Nov 5, 2021Untitled Film
Feb 18, 2022Untitled Film
May 6, 2022Untitled Film
Jul 29, 2022Untitled Film
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is the release schedule right now and confirmed movies that we know are coming are Black Panther 2, GOTG3 and Black Widow.

GOTG3 will presumably be a 2020 release. Feb 12, 2021 is almost certainly going to be Black Panther 2, everything else is up in the air.

Mar 8, 2019Captain Marvel
May 3, 2019Avengers 4 Untitled
Jul 5, 2019Spider-Man: Far From Home
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
May 1, 2020Untitled Film
Jul 31, 2020Untitled Film
Nov 6, 2020Untitled Film
Feb 12, 2021Untitled Film
May 7, 2021Untitled Film
Nov 5, 2021Untitled Film
Feb 18, 2022Untitled Film
May 6, 2022Untitled Film
Jul 29, 2022Untitled Film
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There will be an Eternals movie and the Black Window movie in there also. along with Doctor Strange 2.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Feige has confirmed that Avengers 4 is the end of the MCU as we currently know it.

But, storylines can come to an end. The best stories do come to an end. Return of the Jedi was an ending for a long time and as a 10-year-old in 1983 that carried me through 30 years until there was a sequel. That hasn’t happened before in the superhero genre. A new actor comes in and a new storyline starts right away. We wanted to do it this way because we think that the best stories have a definitive ending to a storyline. That’s certainly what’s going to happen next year with Avengers 4.

Interesting to see where it goes from there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Damn. That almost certainly spells the end for Iron Man/Thor/Cap/Hulk in that case.

I know it was pretty much guaranteed already for Cap and IM but I was really hoping we'd get to see more of Thor and Hulk. Especially Thor who I think has been Marvels most well written character from Ragnarok through Infinity Wars and heading into IW part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad