Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I could see those that survive (e.g. not Captain America) doing cameos in other films.

Downey Jr. basically said he won’t do any more Ironman films.

Hemsworth is young and doesn’t have all that much going on so he could continue.

Him and Dr. Strange make a fun pair.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think they're going to "end" the current MCU by opening up the multi dimension stuff, which will make it easier for them to make more pure one-off movies and also enable them to bring back fan favourites every once in a while without actually relying on their presence for continuity.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I think they're going to "end" the current MCU by opening up the multi dimension stuff, which will make it easier for them to make more pure one-off movies and also enable them to bring back fan favourites every once in a while without actually relying on their presence for continuity.

The bottom line is nobody knows what any of that means. For month after ridiculous month leading up to IW, people were saying it was definite that Cap or Iron Man would be dead. Could it happen in Part II? Sure, but I'd bet against it. Besides, "killing" off characters is getting less and less meaningful, I mean how many Marvel characters have died in movies (even before IW) and they come back? Even if there's another massive bloodletting in IW Part II I will have no emotional investment at all, esp. given how so many characters that are currently "dead" will no doubt return.

My thinking is that characters like Cap and Iron Man retire in some way, so they aren't dead and are available for cameos or bit roles in future Marvel movies about some of the newer characters. But flat-out butcher some of your top draws? Rubbish. The multi-dimension stuff? Meh, maybe. I don't want them to go all "we'll make up science as we go along" like Star Trek just so they can advance plot stories.

IW Part II should all be about the Avengers getting Thanos back. There was enough "dark" in Part I.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Cap is going to be the only major MCU character to “die”.

There’s precedence in the comics.

He has a tradition of sacrificing himself.

It would be interesting if fans would accept Bucky or Falcon as Captain America.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

It would be interesting if fans would accept Bucky or Falcon as Captain America.
Exactly but not everyone is aware of that as the don't read the comics.

Feb 24, 2017

Precedent

Precedence is an entirely different thing

Reactions: NyQuil

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I could see those that survive (e.g. not Captain America) doing cameos in other films.

Hemsworth is young and doesn’t have all that much going on so he could continue.

We don't need anymore Iron Man films anyway.

W/r/t Thor, they can easily make a couple more. So much to explore. Wouldn't mind seeing a GOTG spinoff with him or something like that.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Thor seems like a hard one to write off now that he's on Earth again. He should, hopefully, stick around for another team up or another Avengers movie.

Still gotta think Cap or Iron Man dies in A4. Still enough firepower to lead the Avengers into their next set of phases tho. Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens. I think its too soon for the FF to come back but they could easily anchor two to three phases, along with Spidy, Strange and BP, like the Big 4 have.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Isn't there over 8'000 Marvel characters? Time to move on from the Avengers completely imo.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Black Panther crossed 700 million domestic this weekend, becoming the 3rd film ever to hit that mark. Avengers: Infinity War is going to finish just around 680 million domestic and 2.05 billion worldwide, both solidly 4th place all-time. Then Ant-Man and The Wasp is putting up a tidy 200 million+. Pretty insane year for Marvel.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Black Panther crossed 700 million domestic this weekend, becoming the 3rd film ever to hit that mark. Avengers: Infinity War is going to finish just around 680 million domestic and 2.05 billion worldwide, both solidly 4th place all-time. Then Ant-Man and The Wasp is putting up a tidy 200 million+. Pretty insane year for Marvel.
How many theaters are still showing Black Panther? Can't be many.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
How many theaters are still showing Black Panther? Can't be many.

Like 25. They've played some of the usual games with it when trying to push a movie over a milestone, like a re-expansion deal with one of the theatre chains for one weekend (I think it was AMC and they added 100 theaters for a week), two-for-one packages with other films, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't officially close out its run, keeping it in ~10 theaters continuously, and then do another re-expansion around awards time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Isn't there over 8'000 Marvel characters? Time to move on from the Avengers completely imo.
8000 Marvel characters and all of them were in the Avengers at some point. The franchise should be able to survive moving on from guys like Iron Man and Cap. I do think it would be a shame if they stopped using Thor though, just because I think they finally got the tone right with him.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
8000 Marvel characters and all of them were in the Avengers at some point. The franchise should be able to survive moving on from guys like Iron Man and Cap. I do think it would be a shame if they stopped using Thor though, just because I think they finally got the tone right with him.

Thor is my favourite too. Him and Spiderman are the most compelling at this point.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
He said without Gunn he would fulfill his contract and then leave but also that without Gunn’s script he won’t do Vol 3 at all.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

RDJ was paid $85 million for Civil War, probably a little bit more for Infinity War, so as perfect as he is for that role he's made a ton of money & re launched his career with it. I don't blame him.

Kevin Feige wants to keep Gunn (at least his script for Guardians 3):

Possible Reprieve On James Gunn & ‘Guardians’ As Marvel Back Channels With Disney?

Its going to be a PR disaster if they bring him back, regardless if he was allegedly "joking" those weren't things to joke about even if you have some sick twisted sense of humour. Shouldn't have an issue buying the script.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Its going to be a PR disaster if they bring him back, regardless if he was allegedly "joking" those weren't things to joke about even if you have some sick twisted sense of humour. Shouldn't have an issue buying the script.

I think the point being that he has apologizied years ago for some of his old tweets, sort of opening the door for somrthing likr "he's been remourseful for years now of his past attempts at humour so we felt like like giving him one last chance". But I can see them working outa combination of using Gunn's script and have Taika Waititi directing. Perhaps he could get Bautista on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad