Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
My favorite/least favorite thing about the Netflix series and their "connection" to the MCU is how they always refer to the Avengers by dumb dollar store off brand names... "FLAG WAVER", "THE METAL SUIT", "THE HAMMER MAN", "THE GREEN GUY".

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Deadpool isn't MCU though. And the Netflix shows are barely MCU.

BvS is a crime against humanity and I can not accept that anybody genuinely likes it and that they aren't just saying they like it because of some weird personal hang-ups, like they've become too personally invested in these characters and so refuse to acknowledge the movie for what it is.

Which is weird because Batman die-hard can always hang their hat on the Nolan trilogy, and especially The Dark Knight...so why defend such an aggressively horrible movie?

Actually that film was hated even by hardcore DC fans at supeherohype.com forums. Several posters hated the portrayals of Superman and Batman plus the cinematic attributes. Martha is so obvious that it doesn't need to be even brought up.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Why have there not been any video games based on MCU characters? I remember getting a few old games for 360 (Cap, Iron man, Thor) but really think they are missing out if there's no video game for PS4/Xbox one where you can be Thanos & have to collect the stones or something like that.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The actors playing six of the original Avengers got matching tattoos.

RDJ-Avengers-Tattoo.jpg

mcunick.jpg

Reactions: irunthepeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
From Bob Iger at Disney

We meet on a regular basis with our Marvel team, and we’ve plotted out Marvel movies that will take us well into the next decade. I’m guessing we will try our hand at what I’ll call a new franchise beyond Avengers, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t see more Avengers down the road. We just haven’t made any announcements about that.

Iger also stated, “Given the popularity of the characters and given the popularity of the franchise, I don’t think people should conclude there will never be another Avengers movie.”

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I cant over how the last 6 months have given us Ragnorok, Black Panther, and Infinity War. Just 3 amazing but very different films. The fact that they had the balls to make any of those is super impressive and they all paid off.

Marvel deserves all the credit in the world for keeping this going for so long yet some how raising their game. Phase 3 has taken the genre to another level.

Reactions: donghabs98

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see the hulk one at all
I think the chart is off a little now that i look at it. The Iron Man one should include the V also as that makes it look like his chest piece. Seems Ruffalo didn't get it but each of the other five did and they each then did a line with the artists own tattoo gun on the tattoo artist who also got the tattoo.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Barstool Sports

Jake Gyllenhaal Looks To Be Spider-Man's Next On Screen Villain, Mysterio

Variety- Jake Gyllenhaal has found his first comic-book movie role.
The Oscar-nominated actor is set to join Sony and Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” sequel. It’s currently unknown who he would be playing, but sources say he would likely be the new villain, joining Michael Keaton, who will return to reprise his role of Vulture.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would be nice to have Mysterio, has never been done in a live movie always the same old villains in the two first iterations of Spider-Man. Going with the Vulture worked for the MCU, so I have confidence this will also work.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Upon a couple rewatches of GOTG2 it has moved much higher up my personal rankings.

On my first viewing a lot of the bad jokes really overpowered everything else (some of the jokes in this movie are probably what people mean when they derisively refer to "Marvel humor") but on a second and third viewing they aren't nearly as distracting.

Would love to see Mysterio done right on the big screen.

Reactions: irunthepeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ronan vowed to take on Thanos with his infinite stone. Would Ronan try to gather them all? Not sure but Ronan having a stone and destroying Thanos seems like a better alternative than Thanos having all the stones

Even with one stone, he is likely no match for Thanos.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Feige says during the "Produced by Conference" he is still waiting (duh) to find out when he can use Fox characters.

"I’m just sitting, waiting for a phone call to say yay or nay. But obviously it would be nice to have access to that entire library."

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like to avoid any issues and try and keep the TV shows somewhat close to the movies in the MCU, all up coming seasons of the TV shows have been confirmed to take place before Infinity War.

Because pretty much every upcoming show being aired in the run-up to Avengers 4's release—on Netflix, the second seasons of Iron Fist, Punisher, and Luke Cage, as well as Daredevil season three; Freeform’s Cloak and Dagger; and presumably Hulu’s Runaways, should season two air before Avengers 4—will be set before Infinity War in the grand timeline. So sayeth Loeb:
For the most part our stories will take place BEFORE Thanos clicked his fingers. A lot of that has to do with production and when we are telling our stories vs. when the movies come out. So hang in there.​
It’s likely that none of these shows will end anywhere near as close as SHIELD did, which wrapped up its latest season between the Black Order wreaking havoc in New York and the battle of Wakanda in Infinity War. But still, there will be no dusty ramifications, because Thanos will have yet to have snapped the snap heard ‘round the world... for like, the next year or so.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Miss Marvel movie? Looks like it at some point.

We’re doing Captain Marvel right now. Captain Marvel‘s shooting right now with Brie Larson. Ms. Marvel, which is another character in the comic books, the Muslim hero who is inspired by Captain Marvel, is definitely sort-of in the works. We have plans for that once we’ve introduced Captain Marvel to the world.
We wanted to get Captain Marvel out there first so that there is something for a young Muslim girl to get inspired by.

Looks like they will also be adding more female directors.

I cannot promise that all 20 Marvel movies will have female directors but a heck of a lot of them will. Agencies are sending more female directors than men for Marvel directing jobs.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
On Friday, June 16th Avengers: Infinity War will cross 660 million domestic and pass Titanic to become the 4th place film of all-time domestically. It recently broke 2 billion worldwide and has an outside chance of passing The Force Awakens for #3 there. Also Black Panther is creeping and crawling its way to 700 million domestic, although it may need a small theatre expansion to reach it.

I point this out now, including Friday's date, because coincidentally Friday, February 16th was Black Panther's release date. This means that in 4 months flat, Marvel has released the #3 and #4 all-time box office grossers domestically (and #4/#9 globally) and grossed 1.36 billion domestically and 3.35 billion worldwide. Pretty insane stuff.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like Marvel has narrowed the list to three women for the rumored Black Widow solo movie.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvel-is-getting-closer-to-hiring-its-black-widow-dire-1827002848

the company has possibly narrowed its selection down to three women: Cate Shortland (Berlin Syndrome), Amma Asante (Belle), and Maggie Betts (Novitiate), with a slight edge going to Shortland. Apparently, each director recently took a meeting with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and star Scarlett Johansson, marking them as members of this short list.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well I'll be damned I didn't realize that Trevor Noah was the computer voice in the Black Panther movie!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Another thread showing potential time travel might be the recasting of Cassie Lang for Avengers 4. In the two Ant-Man movies, she is played by the same actress and shown to be about 10-11 in the second one coming out in a few weeks. The new actress for Avengers 4 is 16. Some are thinking that this might lead to a Young Avengers movie in the future and Kevin Feige didn't deny it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I am so happy we got the movies we have gotten.

I don't think 'Young Avengers' is a very good idea, but hey, they made GOTG work so they have earned their shot.

Early reviews for Ant-Man and the Wasp sound about right.....a fun superhero film and a good 'palette cleanser' after Infinity War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad