Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think Simu Liu is single-handedly raising the stock of Shang-Chi with his social media presence. I think that movie is going to perform spectacularly.

Reactions: xtra

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
"China is angry" is based on reactions from a blog. That is definitely a good indication of how an entire country feels :eyeroll:

If online reactions determined the success a movie, Captain Marvel would have made negative money.

It's not from "a blog". It's from China's version of twitter.

Can you find a source that claims otherwise? You can also find articles that state that the Chinese fans are more interested in Thor and Doctor Strange.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's not from "a blog". It's from China's version of twitter.

Can you find a source that claims otherwise? You can also find articles that state that the Chinese fans are more interested in Thor and Doctor Strange.

Yeah, I don’t think comparing it to Twitter really helps your point either. Again, if Twitter was an indication of how movies will be received, then Captain Marvel wouldn’t have made anything.

Reactions: Jussi

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah, I don’t think comparing it to Twitter really helps your point either. Again, if Twitter was an indication of how movies will be received, then Captain Marvel wouldn’t have made anything.

And you can't compare your Western logic versus China's logic either.

In your logic Crazy Rich Asians must've done amazing in China because it had Chinese people in it.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Didn’t know that was my logic but thanks for informing me.

Well it's pretty obvious you think Shang Chi will do extremely well in China since you're dismissing what actual Chinese people are actually saying.

And it's pretty obvious you're equating that success to the fact that it's a Chinese character.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The Chinese market for Hollywood films is notoriously difficult to predict. One, the market has grown so much in recent years, that often historical comparisons are challenging. But, it's the presence of a highly successful local film industry means that they're generally looking beyond screen presentation, and something that resonates with them.

I think it will do well in China, largely because audiences there have embraced the MCU, and Marvel seems to have a strong pulse on that market. Disney, for better or for worse, is keenly aware of political sensitivities and will ensure they're avoiding any hot button issues.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well it's pretty obvious you think Shang Chi will do extremely well in China since you're dismissing what actual Chinese people are actually saying.

And it's pretty obvious you're equating that success to the fact that it's a Chinese character.

Well it’s actually more complicated than that. Yes, some of my optimism is tied to the fact that they have a Chinese character and a genre that can play well there. However, that’s not enough. It’s more tied to the fact that the MCU is performing very well in that market in general, so it would be reasonable to assume this film will continue, if not bolster, that trend.

Also, I’m not dismissing what people are saying. I’m just dismissing that it’s enough to actually make a difference. Tons of people were up in arms about Brie Larson.. but those loud voices only make up a small fraction of the actual movie-goers, which is illustrated by the fact that the movie made over a billion.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Well it’s actually more complicated than that. Yes, some of my optimism is tied to the fact that they have a Chinese character and a genre that can play well there. However, that’s not enough. It’s more tied to the fact that the MCU is performing very well in that market in general, so it would be reasonable to assume this film will continue, if not bolster, that trend.

Also, I’m not dismissing what people are saying. I’m just dismissing that it’s enough to actually make a difference. Tons of people were up in arms about Brie Larson.. but those loud voices only make up a small fraction of the actual movie-goers, which is illustrated by the fact that the movie made over a billion.

You have to consider what the loud voices are about and where it's coming from. You can't equate some fanboys not liking Brie because of her looks or her feminist POV to a country that this movie is marketed towards that haven't had a positive Chinese movie produced by Hollywood.

When it was announced that Shang Chi was looking for a Chinese actor there was excitement but that excitement was let down by the fact that they casted a Chinese actor that didn't act in China.

Plus the source material played up on all the stereotypes of Chinese people.

In fact I think Mulan will end up doing better than Shang Chi because the Chinese audience can relate more to that (story, cast) versus Shang Chi.

I think Shang Chi will do decently China but not at the level some people think it will do.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

China is a country with like 40 trillion people. That article quotes 4 random people on twitter.

Not that I'm correct that Shang Chi will perform well in China. I hadn't considered the points brought up by those twitter users and how it may affect the Chinese market. But I LOATHE that kind of click bait bull shit where half a dozens schmoes on twitter are suddenly the Vox Populi on whatever axe the writer is grinding.

Reactions: Jussi

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The initial reactions to a Chinese lead Shang-Chi were positive throughout. Then when they announces Simu Liu, SOME complained about him being too "ugly". If you're going to stick to that SOME, good luck with further discussions on this board. :laugh:

China Thrilled by Prospect of Chinese Casting for Shang-Chi, ‘Marvel’s First Chinese Hero’

Why are Netizens Hating on Marvel's Chinese Superhero Movie "Shang-Chi"?

They were initially thrilled that they would actually cast a Chinese person instead of it being whitewashed like how it usually is.

But when they casted a Chinese actor that has not acted in China which is part of the backlash.

From the link I posted.
Another comment upvoted over 10,000 times accused Marvel of casting a Chinese actor (Leung) as the villain, while an ethnically Chinese actor (Liu) with Western heritage gets to play the hero: “If you’d like to make money in China, better shape your Chinese characters more wisely.”

For a guy that makes such a big deal about transfer sources I would've expected you to be more diligent in finding something to dispute what I posted.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
China is a country with like 40 trillion people. That article quotes 4 random people on twitter.

Not that I'm correct that Shang Chi will perform well in China. I hadn't considered the points brought up by those twitter users and how it may affect the Chinese market. But I LOATHE that kind of click bait bull **** where half a dozens schmoes on twitter are suddenly the Vox Populi on whatever axe the writer is grinding.

And how many quotes are needed for an article to be credible? Do you want the entire Weibo user thread to be quoted?

Maybe someone can post an article about positive reactions about Shang Chi by quoting the 4 European/American users here and it would be all credible right?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
And how many quotes are needed for an article to be credible?

To draw what conclusion? That the Chinese market of approximately 60 trillion people is going to not support X movie?

Depends on the size of the sample. Like 20,000 in the context of only 5 quotes supporting it vs. 20,000 in the context of 60 trillion quotes supporting it are two different things.

I think it's worthwhile to raise the point that the actor being part of the diaspora rather than native + not having been in any Chinese films + the backlash against the negative stereotype of Fu Manchu = the film could bomb. I don't think it's correct to draw any sort of conclusion based on 4 quotes from people on twitter. Does the difference make sense?

quoting the 4 European/American users here and it would be all credible right?

No, that's also stupid.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
To draw what conclusion? That the Chinese market of approximately 60 trillion people is going to not support X movie?

Depends on the size of the sample. Like 20,000 in the context of only 5 quotes supporting it vs. 20,000 in the context of 60 trillion quotes supporting it are two different things.

I think it's worthwhile to raise the point that the actor being part of the diaspora rather than native + not having been in any Chinese films + the backlash against the negative stereotype of Fu Manchu = the film will bomb. I don't think it's correct to draw any sort of conclusion based on 4 quotes from people on twitter. Does the difference make sense?

No, that's also stupid.

Yes. Basically the point is Shang Chi isn't a guarantee to be hugely successful in China. I mean if there were any positive reactions AFTER the Comic Con announcement there would be articles that would mention it like the articles about the Mulan reactions. Disney especially would want any positive Chinese reactions to be released but so far there hasn't been anything to dispute it.

I won't dismiss that sentiment may change once the trailer releases either.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Kit Harington To Join The Marvel Movie Universe – Deadline

Last we saw Kit Harington, the Game of Thrones star’s Jon Snow character ended that HBO series with a walk north of The Wall into the forest with the Free Folk Wildlings, his punishment for slaying his mad queen lover, Daenerys Targaryen. So where did he go?

Deadline hears it is to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where he will make his next film. Sources said that Harington will join one of Marvel and Kevin Feige’s superhero franchises.

All of Marvel and Disney is busy with the D23 Expo this weekend in Anaheim. I was unable to figure out which film, and nobody was around to elaborate, which they probably wouldn’t anyway. I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if some of those details are filled in before the weekend is out. Stay tuned.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
'Ms. Marvel' Series in the Works for Disney+ (Exclusive)

With Captain Marvel flying high on the big screen, Marvel Studios is now focusing on its other marvelous heroine, Ms. Marvel.

Marvel is developing a live-action series for Disney+, its upcoming streaming service, based on its acclaimed comic Ms. Marvel, hiring British writer Bisha K. Ali to write and act as showrunner. Ali is a comedian who is currently a staff writer on Hulu’s remake of Four Weddings and a Funeral.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If Sony learned from the disasters that were the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies then I’m fine with them taking Spider-Man back. I’m also fine with Disney not being in control of basically all of the nerd/geek entertainment I enjoy.

The best Spider-man movie I’ve ever seen was a Sony film- Into the Spider-verse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suxnet

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Not including into the spider-verse i think the best Spider-Man movie (and maybe overall superhero movie) is the first Spider-Man with Toby.

Forever him walking away from Mary Jane will be my favorite scene

Reactions: Suxnet

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Now there's reports out that Sony and Disney came to an agreement with several films involving Spider Man (at least 4 solo movies and a few team-up movies, one of which may involve the Fantastic Four).

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Now there's reports out that Sony and Disney came to an agreement with several films involving Spider Man (at least 4 solo movies and a few team-up movies, one of which may involve the Fantastic Four).
Where has this being reported? All I see is that Disney originally asked for 25%, not 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad