Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I would have to agree based on the history of the two companies. I mean, it could end up working just fine for both parties, but if I had to select one I think is more likely to get hurt by this.. it would be Sony for sure.

And aside from all that, after what we saw of Spiderman in the MCU I just can't see anywhere near the amount of excitement for a non-MCU Spiderman.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
And aside from all that, after what we saw of Spiderman in the MCU I just can't see anywhere near the amount of excitement for a non-MCU Spiderman.

Spider-Man will always generate excitement. However, I think this definitely does hurt the excitement for the next movie. Are they going to continue on with the 3rd movie? That'd be so weird with it not connected to the MCU. But, I feel like they can't just restart AGAIN.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I love Spider-Man and I didn’t see Spider-Man 3 or either of the Amazing Spider-Man movies in theatres.

Spider-Man joining the MCU is also the reason I became an MCU super fan. When they showed off Spider-Man in Civil War, I think on Jimmy Kimmel, it was like a light switch went on.

If Spidey leaves the MCU I would be less interested in the MCU and at the same time have no interest in Sony’s new Spidey movies. Hell I still haven’t seen Venom because I just don’t give a shit.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Spider-Man will always generate excitement. However, I think this definitely does hurt the excitement for the next movie. Are they going to continue on with the 3rd movie? That'd be so weird with it not connected to the MCU. But, I feel like they can't just restart AGAIN.

Another Spiderman reboot would be a complete disaster for Sony, but continuing on with the 3rd movie being disassociated with the MCU would just be so awkward given everything that has happened with the character in the MCU and how much Iron Man was part of that background.

It's just really, really hard to see this working out for Sony.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Wonder if MCU remains the same juggernaut now that they are losing Spider-Man and Tom Holland.

If they continue to produce good movies, yes. Not having Spider-Man won't make or break the future of the MCU. The MCU hasn't been successful because of a single character. It's been successful because they continue to tell good stories that connect.

Also, let's not forget that the MCU will be adding the Fantastic 4 and X-Men. They have more than enough material. They just have to keep the stories refreshing and interesting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If they continue to produce good movies, there is no doubt about it. The MCU hasn't been successful because of a single character. It's been successful because they continue to tell good stories that connect.
Sure, but at the same time, most of the characters that have been used so far have been very well known. Spider-Man the character is well-known, and Holland has a good personality, both character and actor were capable for taking over from the characters and cast that are leaving. I'll be curious what the box office looks like when it's based around characters that aren't as well-known and established. Even with Fantastic 4 and X-Men, there is a possibility that the general public is tired of seeing them after previous failures away from MCU.

I'm sure they'll be fine, but I'll still be curious.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Wonder if MCU remains the same juggernaut now that they are losing Spider-Man and Tom Holland.

Im immediately less interested in the MCU.

Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America...all gone in the span of a few months.

Kinda just reinforces what I’ve said for a while now, that the Civil War->End Game period will be viewed as the MCU’s peak.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Sure, but at the same time, most of the characters that have been used so far have been very well known. Spider-Man the character is well-known, and Holland has a good personality, both character and actor were capable for taking over from the characters and cast that are leaving. I'll be curious what the box office looks like when it's based around characters that aren't as well-known and established. Even with Fantastic 4 and X-Men, there is a possibility that the general public is tired of seeing them after previous failures away from MCU.

I'm sure they'll be fine, but I'll still be curious.

Most of the characters used were not well know before the MCU existed. But, good story telling brought them to their current status.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Im immediately less interested in the MCU.

Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America...all gone in the span of a few months.

Kinda just reinforces what I’ve said for a while now, that the Civil War->End Game period will be viewed as the MCU’s peak.

Yeah, but as I said.. while they lost those characters, they also gained some of the more popular ones. The MCU may have lost you, but they've also been gaining more and more fans as well as they continue to diversify, which is a huge part of Phase 4.

Now that they're almost having a "soft reboot," the future of the MCU will depend on the stories told and the quality of those stories. In other words, if the MCU continues to make high quality movies, they will be just fine.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Most of the characters used were not well know before the MCU existed. But, good story telling brought them to their current status.
Captain America, Hulk, Thor, and Iron-Man were all pretty well-known IMO. They slowly supplemented them with lesser known characters. Phase 1 and 2 built the foundation with those characters, we haven't seen the MCU without that foundation. In my mind Spider-Man and Tom Holland was a great transition piece.

MCU will be fine, but I don't think it's a guarantee that it's as successful as this previous run they had, which was incredible.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That is true. Cap and Iron Man were nobodies before the MCU (if they were worth anything pre-MCU then marvel would have sold them like they did with Spidey, X-Men, F4 and Hulk). And now that they have the X-Men and F4 back in the fold they have more to play with.

Still though. I’m not convinced superhero movies will continue to be as mega popular as they are now in perpetuity. Trends change and things don’t stay popular forever.

It’s probably as good a time as any for this to happen though. The MCU is effectively being soft rebooted right now.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Captain America, Hulk, Thor, and Iron-Man were all pretty well-known IMO. They slowly supplemented them with lesser known characters. Phase 1 and 2 built the foundation with those characters, we haven't seen the MCU without that foundation. In my mind Spider-Man and Tom Holland was a great transition piece.

MCU will be fine, but I don't think it's a guarantee that it's as successful as this previous run they had, which was incredible.

I can tell you for sure that Iron Man was not a super popular Marvel entity before the movies, and now he's probably the best known one.

This next phase of the MCU was never going to be a guarantee, though. This news doesn't change that. And that's been my point the whole time - the success / failure will be dependent on the quality of the movies, not which characters are used in the movies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
This seems like a bizarre move when the films seemed to be working well for all parties. But, I can see why Sony is not fully comfortable with their biggest competitor having so control in their biggest franchise.

While I've loved Tom Holland in the role, he's now played the character more times than any actor.. I think he's talented, and am curious where he may go next as an actor.

I'd have more comfort in Sony if I felt they'd bring the same creative energy to the property that they did with Spider-verse. But, I think that success occurred because they don't see the animated stuff as being a big deal, but the live action would get a lot more studio meddling in an attempt to maximize spin offs and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad