Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I can see them not doing any big team up movie and then doing phase 5 as an xmen vs (new?)avengers (BP, strange spider et )movie.

In the background build up to and true bigger villain for phase 6 through the cosmic side of phase 5

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Thor movie has me decidedly non-hyped. Grace Randolph's breakdown of it all made it sound this could potentially be a CW show.

I am hopeful it will be good, but my first impression is that this is going to lean in hard on the cringy wokeness.

The whole Valkyrie f***s things is already very, very tired, and it seems like theyre going to make that a primary focus of this movie. :thumbd:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The Thor movie has me decidedly non-hyped. Grace Randolph's breakdown of it all made it sound this could potentially be a CW show.

I am hopeful it will be good, but my first impression is that this is going to lean in hard on the cringy wokeness.

The whole Valkyrie ****s things is already very, very tired, and it seems like theyre going to make that a primary focus of this movie. :thumbd:

You watch way too much Grace Randolph lol. Also, nobody even knows the storyline on this story, so how can you determine anything at this point?

Also, Valkyrie's what? I am not sure what word got bleeped out - can't figure out what you're trying to say. But again, it's way too early to have any idea what they're going to make a primary focus of the movie. I think even Chris Hemsowrth said he hasn't read the script yet.

To each their own, but it seems like a TON of assumptions are being made. You're already basing an opinion of the movie on stuff that is 100% speculated at this point. Of course, that again ties back to you watching way too much Randolph, man :laugh:

Reactions: irunthepeg

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You watch way too much Grace Randolph lol. Also, nobody even knows the storyline on this story, so how can you determine anything at this point?

Also, Valkyrie's what? I am not sure what word got bleeped out - can't figure out what you're trying to say. But again, it's way too early to have any idea what they're going to make a primary focus of the movie. I think even Chris Hemsowrth said he hasn't read the script yet.

To each their own, but it seems like a TON of assumptions are being made. You're already basing an opinion of the movie on stuff that is 100% speculated at this point. Of course, that again ties back to you watching way too much Randolph, man :laugh:

The censored word is the F word, being used in its sarcastic, internet, meme way (like Linday Ellis' recent GoT video where she made fun of GoT for being "Hot Fantasy that ****s").

And I mean, Tessa Thompson said on stage it would be about her finding a queen, and Taika made it pretty clear Jane Foster as Thor is going to be a big part of this movie.

Ragnarok sold itself on the fight between Thor and The Incredible Hulk, that was the focus of the movie. This seems to be selling itself on the characters romantic endeavors, and that sounds boring to me.

I watch commentary and speculation on the MCU announcements. :sueme:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The censored word is the F word, being used in its sarcastic, internet, meme way (like Linday Ellis' recent GoT video where she made fun of GoT for being "Hot Fantasy that ****s").

And I mean, Tessa Thompson said on stage it would be about her finding a queen, and Taika made it pretty clear Jane Foster as Thor is going to be a big part of this movie.

Ragnarok sold itself on the fight between Thor and The Incredible Hulk, that was the focus of the movie. This seems to be selling itself on the characters romantic endeavors, and that sounds boring to me.

I watch commentary and speculation on the MCU announcements. :sueme:

Haha, I have no problem with that. I watch all kinds of similar stuff. However, you just seem to mention Grace Randolph a lot. There are plenty of other people out there who do the same thing that are much better than her. Just not a fan of her at all.

You're probably right that this will have some focus on romantic endeavors. However, I think Taika's twist on that makes it intriguing. The MCU style of a rom-com, I guess you could say. You may not like that, which is fine. But I'm okay with it, as I love the MCU's willingness to try different genres. Keeps things fresh, IMO.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Haha, I have no problem with that. I watch all kinds of similar stuff. However, you just seem to mention Grace Randolph a lot. There are plenty of other people out there who do the same thing that are much better than her.

You're probably right that this will have some focus on romantic endeavors. However, I think Taika's twist on that makes it intriguing. The MCU style of a rom-com, I guess you could say. You may not like that, which is fine. But I'm okay with it, as I love the MCU's willingness to try different genres. Keeps things fresh, IMO.

I used to watch a lot more of Emergency Awesome, but he started pumping out way too many clickbait videos and it trained me to stop watching his stuff because I knew it was probably nonsense. Mr. Sunday Movies is always fun, but they don't really dig into the minutiae of the comic source material. Moviebob is occasionally interesting even though he is a legit psycho. Don't know of many others who have a quick turnaround on this stuff...but also i'm not that hyped about this stuff except for right after its announced and right after it releases.

Based on whats announced, Dr. Strange, who's debut film I didnt even go to the theatre to see, is at the top of my hype list, while the sequel to one of my favourite MCU movies is near the bottom.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
House of M better not be relegated to a TV show plot. Taking one of the actually good, original Marvel stories and shuffling it away under the couch like that would be a travesty.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
House of M better not be relegated to a TV show plot. Taking one of the actually good, original Marvel stories and shuffling it away under the couch like that would be a travesty.

If they borrowed from that storyline, it would probably start with the TV show and then lead into the movie.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think TV shows are going to be an awful medium for the MCU and I wish they’d not prioritize their streaming service over expanding/continuing the film universe.

We’re already dealing with what are essentially secondary and/or tertiary characters in all of these shows so the level of captivation will most likely be significantly lower for me right from the beginning.

Does this also mean I have to pay for Disney’s steaming service to be up to date on future films? That’s bullshit if true.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think TV shows are going to be an awful medium for the MCU and I wish they’d not prioritize their streaming service over expanding/continuing the film universe.

We’re already dealing with what are essentially secondary and/or tertiary characters in all of these shows so the level of captivation will most likely be significantly lower for me right from the beginning.

Does this also mean I have to pay for Disney’s steaming service to be up to date on future films? That’s bull**** if true.

Of course not. That's why torrents exist.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If you seriously had to bet on the odds any of these new MCU shows will be at the same level or better than Daredevil or Jessica Jones (season 1), what would they be?

These shows need to be clearing a MUCH higher bar than Agents of Shield, Arrow, Gotham, etc...or they’ll be an uninteresting waste of time IMO

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If you seriously had to bet on the odds any of these new MCU shows will be at the same level or better than Daredevil or Jessica Jones (season 1), what would they be?

These shows need to be clearing a MUCH higher bar than Agents of Shield, Arrow, Gotham, etc...or they’ll be an uninteresting waste of time IMO

They're going to be much higher quality. They're basically putting a movie budget into them.

I think it'll be very similar to what happens with comics. These TV shows will serve as "tie-ins" essentially. They will enhance the movies but won't be necessary.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

Does this also mean I have to pay for Disney’s steaming service to be up to date on future films? That’s bull**** if true.

They're not prioritizing it. They're adding it as an extra. The movies will still provide a bulk of what happens, and they're still cranking out several movies a year. But, the TV shows will provide content for people who want even more.

And as I said in my previous response, I don't think you will HAVE to watch it to stay up to date. I think it'll just add extra material that will enhance the movies.

Of course, I'm pretty excited for Disney+ beyond just the MCU stuff, so I guess I have a slight bias here.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Disney is spending $15 million per episode on The Mandalorian for anyone worried about quality of production. Either way I think the gentleman doth protest too much. Like... spend the cost of a movie ticket (or on some cities, less than a movie ticket) to binge them and then cancel.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Disney is spending $15 million per episode on The Mandalorian for anyone worried about quality of production. Either way I think the gentleman doth protest too much. Like... spend the cost of a movie ticket (or on some cities, less than a movie ticket) to binge them and then cancel.

Also a good point that I didn't think about. But yeah, they're putting a shit ton of money into these projects. They will certainly be higher quality than the Netflix shows. I mean, the story itself could always be bad - but the quality of the show itself will be much higher.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
How good/popular these streaming series will be is the biggest variable at this point. It's really hard to predict which television series will do well. More money and higher profile cast or writers can help, but isn't a guarantee.

I also don't think they will be required viewing. As it is, the MCU always had to do some catch up in movies, as they've known that not all viewers will have watched the previous films.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I’m excited for Falcon and Winter Soldier but that’s it as far as the shows are concerned.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
How good/popular these streaming series will be is the biggest variable at this point. It's really hard to predict which television series will do well. More money and higher profile cast or writers can help, but isn't a guarantee.

I also don't think they will be required viewing. As it is, the MCU always had to do some catch up in movies, as they've known that not all viewers will have watched the previous films.

Didn't they mention Wandavision leads into Dr. Strange's movie?

I like that they're doing the TV series because it gives them more time to flesh out these characters and makes the phases quicker to lead up to the next big movie event.

I wonder instead of titling "Avengers" they end up doing something like "Marvel Studios presents Secret Wars, House of M, Kree - Skrulls war, etc." as the big payoff.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Didn't they mention Wandavision leads into Dr. Strange's movie?

I like that they're doing the TV series because it gives them more time to flesh out these characters and makes the phases quicker to lead up to the next big movie event.

I wonder instead of titling "Avengers" they end up doing something like "Marvel Studios presents Secret Wars, House of M, Kree - Skrulls war, etc." as the big payoff.

Yes, they did say that. I’m sure the movie will cover what happened in the show, though. But watching the show will probably explain it in more depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad