Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It actually does.
How does it? If she is born in '84 and the USSR fell in '91, she was about 7. They way the rumor is worded, they try and kill her and others in these various secret programs after the fall. In the flashback scene from Avengers Age of Ultron, we see her much older than 7 getting trained and also being sterilized as part of the same program....so something does not line up.

Anyways looks like a Howard the Duck movie might happen.

Back to the Future star-turned-director Lea Thompson, who headlined 1986’s live-action Marvel Comics adaptation Howard the Duck, pitched her reboot starring the anthropomorphic duck to Marvel Studios — and they “loved it.”
“It was the first Marvel movie, and now there’s a whole Marvel universe. And to put Howard the Duck in this Marvel universe when they have the special effects that can back it up would be amazing,” Thompson said at Fan Expo Canada.
After going public with her passionate campaign to sell the Disney-owned studio on trying their hand at a new Howard the Duck film over the summer, fans hoping to see Thompson’s take on the character tweeted at Marvel — and “Marvel took a meeting with me,” Thompson said.
“I worked on the pitch for a really long time and I had the help of [modern Howard the Duck comic book creative team] Chip Zdarsky and Joe Quinones and they had done a run of Howard the Duck, the last run of Howard the Duck, and they put me in it, Lea Thompson,” Thompson said, saying Zdarsky and Quinones wanted to be “super meta” by inserting the real-life actress and not her big-haired Howard the Duck rock singer character, Beverly Switzler.

Lea Thompson Says Marvel Studios Loved Her ‘Howard the Duck’ Reboot Pitch

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How does it? If she is born in '84 and the USSR fell in '91, she was about 7. They way the rumor is worded, they try and kill her and others in these various secret programs after the fall. In the flashback scene from Avengers Age of Ultron, we see her much older than 7 getting trained and also being sterilized as part of the same program....so something does not line up.

Not sure what angle they'd go for but the life of Secret Soviet spy programs could extend beyond the fall of the USSR, and Russia was still going to need spies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

You do know that the KGB never really went away? It just changed name. All of that can happen after the Soviet Union's collapse.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Over the summer I slowly started catching up on all of the Marvel stuff in order. I am currently watching Thor: Ragnarok but I am struggling. I can't tell if it is a Comic Book movie or a Scary Movie style spoof of a comic book movie. It feel like the comic relief has overtaken the drama so far (I'm only like an hour in) and at that point it is no longer comic relief at that point, it's just a comedy.

Now Thor is riding through some kind of digital ride to the tune of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It all feels a little too much on the nose.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought the humor worked really well. It's tough to take a Norse God who speaks like he's in a Shakespearean play seriously. Kinda feel like this is the best way to do a Thor movie. It was serious when it needed to be and humanized Thor very tastefully IMHO

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I thought the humor worked really well. It's tough to take a Norse God who speaks like he's in a Shakespearean play seriously. Kinda feel like this is the best way to do a Thor movie. It was serious when it needed to be and humanized Thor very tastefully IMHO
The previous Thor movies weren't so over the top though.

I'm realizing part of the problem is the characters that are all well established are suddenly much more wise-cracking comedians than in any other iteration before.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Id be 100% good with Bucky or Sam picking up the shield. Just based on their MCU incarnations though (which is all I know of either of em anyway) Sam feels like a more natural fit to me. He is an All-American 'white meat' baby face type whereas Bucky has all that nasty assassin history. Plus Black Captain America seems like kind of a no-brainer at this point.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Id be 100% good with Bucky or Sam picking up the shield. Just based on their MCU incarnations though (which is all I know of either of em anyway) Sam feels like a more natural fit to me. He is an All-American 'white meat' baby face type whereas Bucky has all that nasty assassin history. Plus Black Captain America seems like kind of a no-brainer at this point.

But unless he gets a boost Sam is just a guy with a wing suit. He doesn't (or didn't) even have special agent trying like Black Widow or Hawkeye.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Over the summer I slowly started catching up on all of the Marvel stuff in order. I am currently watching Thor: Ragnarok but I am struggling. I can't tell if it is a Comic Book movie or a Scary Movie style spoof of a comic book movie. It feel like the comic relief has overtaken the drama so far (I'm only like an hour in) and at that point it is no longer comic relief at that point, it's just a comedy.

Now Thor is riding through some kind of digital ride to the tune of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It all feels a little too much on the nose.

Ragnorak is easily among my favorite Marvel movies. The humor was fantastic.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I wish there aws a Marvel film coming out during these Holidays, the line-up of stuff doesn't look very good. An Aquaman film that looks cheesy and some Spider-Man cartoon for 12 year olds.

Also, saw Ant-Man 2 recently and an average movie but I will say that its action sequences in general are far better than many of the other Marvel films because it avoids as much of the shaky-cam closely zoomed in action with too many quick cuts. Or maybe it does them but they work better than the disorientating fights in the other recent Marvel films.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I wish there aws a Marvel film coming out during these Holidays, the line-up of stuff doesn't look very good. An Aquaman film that looks cheesy and some Spider-Man cartoon for 12 year olds.

Also, saw Ant-Man 2 recently and an average movie but I will say that its action sequences in general are far better than many of the other Marvel films because it avoids as much of the shaky-cam closely zoomed in action with too many quick cuts. Or maybe it does them but they work better than the disorientating fights in the other recent Marvel films.

Sleeping on Spider-Verse, I bet it's gonna be great. Even if it is Sony.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh

Man, I had the same issues with the movie. It's not a bad movie at all, but they were just going for so much humor that you lose any sense of drama/worry about the characters. I'm guessing they were disappointed with Thor 2 being so dark/drawn out/boring that they took it more towards the other extreme. Either way, the reactions seemed to be a lot more positive, so I'm guessing this is more the direction they will be going for future movies. For better or worse.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah negative opinions on Ragnarok seem like outliers. It was very well received by both critics and fans.

I have still never seen Thor 2. Im just not interested.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah negative opinions on Ragnarok seem like outliers. It was very well received by both critics and fans.

I have still never seen Thor 2. Im just not interested.
I'm not one to care about movie reviews, so didn't read or hear anything about the movie prior to watching. Not even five minutes in it stuck out to me how many jokes they were cramming in, and I did a quick google search of "too many jokes in Thor Ragnarok" and there were tons of reviews with that title. Perhaps it is the minority opinion overall, certainly not an uncommon criticism.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The first joke in the movie was far and away one of the worst in the whole thing. I didn’t like the chain dangling, spin around joke.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The first joke in the movie was far and away one of the worst in the whole thing. I didn’t like the chain dangling, spin around joke.
I think that was the first that hit me as strange too. Completely undercuts any tension that moment could have had.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
To be fair that moment wasn't really meant to have any tension. Demonstrating a lack of tension may have been the point of that scene entirely. I just didn't think the joke landed as well as most others did.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Had it not been for Jeff Goldblum's appearance, dare I say, Ragnarok may have been the perfect superhero movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad