Proposal: Marner trade ideas

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Leafs didn't ask for him.....there are only a handful of players league wide that would even get the talks started. Florida has none of these unless you say Hedman is in Florida!!
You did see the initial trade proposal right?...you asked for him

@TheImpatientPanther and I are the two common Panthers fan on the board; we have an implicit agreement to avoid proposing trade proposals with Toronto and most Canadian franchises for a reason.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
In all seriousness, Marner is only really readable for another high end player on a contract signed pre Covid: he is an excellent player but >10.5 is a lot for a winger in this environment. (I will have angered all the Leafs fans with this statement but I will say it anyways: Unlike Panarin, I cant say I’ve seen Marner drive a line/team by himself for a prolonged period of time. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t had the opportunity)

The problem I see is that Toronto is the main team that gives our giant contracts to RFAs so there is no natural trade fit. Josi, Subban, Karlsson and Doughty are the only 9M plus defensemen and all are older/franchise center pieces or Subban

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't see it. Laine would be essentially competing with Matthews for the prime scoring ice time and position.
Also we had a player similar in nature in Kessel and that didn't go well.
I think Laine would compliment either Matthews or JT. Laine is a scorer, and would get 50 with one of those centres. Marner is a fabulous player though, and I’d rather the Leafs trade him to my team (Vancouver). I think he’d be perfect with Horvat. We have no cap room and can’t afford MM though. :(

Reactions: JohnnyT91

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I love HF’s anti leafs slant

Marner is an ‘albatross contract’ at 10.9, but in another thread Toews at 10.5 is returning multiple assets...

im all for trading Marner, and it is gonna require a little creativity simply because like nobody has cap space in this flat cap, but creativity doesn’t mean he’ll sell for pennies on the dollar. You don’t get an Elite winger like that
Toews also brings cups with his resume.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I love HF’s anti leafs slant

Marner is an ‘albatross contract’ at 10.9, but in another thread Toews at 10.5 is returning multiple assets...

im all for trading Marner, and it is gonna require a little creativity simply because like nobody has cap space in this flat cap, but creativity doesn’t mean he’ll sell for pennies on the dollar. You don’t get an Elite winger like that
Aren’t we discussing Marner for Laine though? That’s a fantastic young player in return for MM. (imo Toews doesn’t return that level of player of that age.)

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
He doesn't fill any needs for Winnipeg. He's not $4 mil/ year better than any of Winnipeg's current wingers. He's hit 90 points once, so calling him a 90+ point player is misleading and he is or defensively. Then you factor in that he scores most of his points in the easy games and is a no show in the tough games.

If the Jets move Laine it will be for something fills a hole and that makes the team better. Not for an overpaid winger that is a terrible value for the dollar.
He hit 90 points in his 3rd season, and was on pace to surpass 90 points again. (while having a 'poor' season)
He is easily considered a 90point player, and I'd not a huge fan of his.
hitting 90 points in your 3rd season is one heck of an accomplishment, and statistically continued that pace the following season, and there is no reason to expect anything but improvement in his numbers.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
You did see the initial trade proposal right?...you asked for him

@TheImpatientPanther and I are the two common Panthers fan on the board; we have an implicit agreement to avoid proposing trade proposals with Toronto and most Canadian franchises for a reason.

theres some absolutely adorable conversation going on in here.. but this, this right here, this takes the whole friggen’ cake. LOL

Not taking shots or anything, just seems odd to come to a hockey board and actively seek out fans to NOT converse with. Especially as a panther fan (no offence), which is a team I’m sure doesn’t have much fan representation here.

I completely agree with you (as a leaf fan) that Marner alone would not return Huberdeau (this year). however only strictly due to contract, once Marner’s salary dips to under 7mil a season - FLA is a team I could see being very interested as I’m sure they are operating on an internal budget.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
theres some absolutely adorable conversation going on in here.. but this, this right here, this takes the whole friggen’ cake. LOL

Not taking shots or anything, just seems odd to come to a hockey board and actively seek out fans to NOT converse with. Especially as a panther fan (no offence), which is a team I’m sure doesn’t have much fan representation here.

I completely agree with you (as a leaf fan) that Marner alone would not return Huberdeau (this year). however only strictly due to contract, once Marner’s salary dips to under 7mil a season - FLA is a team I could see being very interested as I’m sure they are operating on an internal budget.
I mean: we are fine with trades; it’s more that we have the same conversation with Leafs fans multiple times: Nylander/Marner for Ekblad or Dermott for Weegar.

we give stats, we reason, we even try to be polite and say how great your players are, but it almost is always ignored and then we deal with proposal 2737363 with the same trade that makes no sense for Florida.

The fun part of this board is learning about other teams and trying to play GM; some fan bases seem to struggle about considering mutual needs so it isn’t terribly fun. I can say that I’ve had a lot of fun with smaller fan bases about identifying needs that come close to real life (the Nashville base agreed in principle to Turris for Matheson for example when no one thought Matheson could be traded). Some Toronto fans are great and knowledgeable and maybe I’m just pick up a pseudo law large of numbers: when there are a lot of fans there are a lot of ignorant people too

Take a look at the Weegar thread and it becomes Dermott is a top 4 D/ great value repeatedly.

Reactions: go4hockey and Bust

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

To respond seriously there is no internal budget: Zito has come out and said it. Our owners made a lot of money this year with their financial firm. what Zito has said is that we need to use money wisely to get results.

Once Weegar and our restricted free agents sign, we will be about 5.5-4M below the cap and our president mentioned that we are considering adding another free agent.

The only guy that reported the budget was Friedman who has gotten a bit wrong about the Panthers recently (Our Local guy updated us on the Weegar saga; all the reports were about other teams inquiring not us shopping) One could say argue we didn’t re sign Dadonov and Hoffman as an example of the cap; instead it looked like Hoffman wanted a much larger contract that we had space for and we couldn’t agree with Dady in term: we have a slight problem where we don’t have any large contracts coming off the books next year and young guys to re up.

Marner’s issue is his cap hit: I love him as a player but he and a replacement level player takes the same cap as Huby and Barky. It just reduces operating flexibility and makes any non 90+ point seasons a waste

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I mean: we are fine with trades; it’s more that we have the same conversation with Leafs fans multiple times: Nylander/Marner for Ekblad or Dermott for Weegar.

we give stats, we reason, we even try to be polite and say how great your players are, but it almost is always ignored and then we deal with proposal 2737363 with the same trade that makes no sense for Florida.

The fun part of this board is learning about other teams and trying to play GM; some fan bases seem to struggle about considering mutual needs so it isn’t terribly fun. I can say that I’ve had a lot of fun with smaller fan bases about identifying needs that come close to real life (the Nashville base agreed in principle to Turris for Matheson for example when no one thought Matheson could be traded). Some Toronto fans are great and knowledgeable and maybe I’m just pick up a pseudo law large of numbers: when there are a lot of fans there are a lot of ignorant people too

Take a look at the Weegar thread and it becomes Dermott is a top 4 D/ great value repeatedly.

many fair points.

I got about half way through reading your response when I realized that I actually agree with you.

I don’t blame you for not partaking in most conversation on this site. As a leaf fan - this thread has been done before with both Tavares and Matthews. OP asks a question in regards to value/proposes a trade, hoards of posters file in here and devalue these players left and right based on “contract”.

Regardless of the OP’s valuation (the MIN and FLA offers have wildly different value), these threads always end up the same - a bunch of lowball offers, “only if you take lucic” and a bunch of other nonsense spewed. It results in posters like you and I not wanting to converse with each other when in actuality, we could probably have one hell of a hockey conversation.

The issue with discussing a Weegar trade is the same as discussing a Manson trade or a Petry trade. These guys are so valuable to the team and fanbase, that there’s nothing outside of top tier assets that will get fans to listen.

For the sake of discussion (Weegar) and not to get any further off track: would Robertson move the needle for FLA? I have not been a part of those threads.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
many fair points.

I got about half way through reading your response when I realized that I actually agree with you.

I don’t blame you for not partaking in most conversation on this site. As a leaf fan - this thread has been done before with both Tavares and Matthews. OP asks a question in regards to value/proposes a trade, hoards of posters file in here and devalue these players left and right based on “contract”.

Regardless of the OP’s valuation (the MIN and FLA offers have wildly different value), these threads always end up the same - a bunch of lowball offers, “only if you take lucic” and a bunch of other nonsense spewed. It results in posters like you and I not wanting to converse with each other when in actuality, we could probably have one hell of a hockey conversation.

The issue with discussing a Weegar trade is the same as discussing a Manson trade or a Petry trade. These guys are so valuable to the team and fanbase, that there’s nothing outside of top tier assets that will get fans to listen.

For the sake of discussion (Weegar) and not to get any further off track: would Robertson move the needle for FLA? I have not been a part of those threads.
thanks for agreeing; I’m sorry for the earlier spunk: it’s just been an annoying few weeks on the board. I use this as my hockey outlet and it’s nice seeing attention to paid to Florida but it’s a pain to see the same bad trade
If we had to trade Weegs, a good prospect like Robertson is the perfect starting piece then a guy like Dermott actually could work. The thing is that we kind of need Weegar more than anything, so we don’t need to trade him. (the guy‘a per 60 even strength stats are all top 30 in the league which is insane)

Reactions: Bust

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Can't really trade Marner now. If they do they have exactly one legit top 6 scoring winger. They have plenty of depth of defense they don't really need to add another piece there without seeing what they have now. If we have a season I think it ends up more likely that a top 6 winger is going to be the biggest need at the deadline.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He's hit 90 points once, so calling him a 90+ point player is misleading and he is or defensively. Then you factor in that he scores most of his points in the easy games and is a no show in the tough games.
1. He's been playing at a 94 point pace for 2 seasons. I'd consider him a 90+ point winger for sure.
2. There is not stat that shows a player gets points in "easy" games, so you're just making that up. You don't get 94 points by only getting them in easy games.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Nov 1, 2011
Boeser + Rafferty + 1st?

Standard, very good young player + top prospect + 1st offer.

Assume this is just to save cap, Mariner to Boeser is a downgrade from TML but saves a good amount of cap while still having a very good top line winger.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Barkov has a long way to go to become a #1D so you're right.
Good luck with your search
I dont think anyone is searching there bud...leafs are NOT trading marner... simply pointing out a fact... they are not trading him for a C, a winger or a G. The only trade the leafs would even hear would be for a true 1/2 D.....schools out my boy

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Toews also brings cups with his resume.

Unfortunately, I believe Dubas gave out those contracts before the boys had achieved much in the playoffs, like getting by the 1st round. Whereas Toews got his after he had proven it in the playoffs.

Sorry if this doesn’t seem to go along with what you were posting about. I started on page 9, so I’m not sure what point you were trying to make. My bad.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I dont think anyone is searching there bud...leafs are NOT trading marner... simply pointing out a fact... they are not trading him for a C, a winger or a G. The only trade the leafs would even hear would be for a true 1/2 D.....schools out my boy

For sure. FLA doesnt have any defense assets to land Marner so we're out.
I need more school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad