Value of: Marner/Nylander vs. Boeser

Who is worth the most?

• Total voters

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I remember after Marner and Nylanders rookie seasons the big thing around here was that they needed to do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke.

Marner was ppg his last 53 games after he struggled out of the gate, then went ppg+ in the playoffs (is 13pts in 13gp in two post seasons and about 17pts shy of being ppg for his career)

But Brock Boeser put up some points with favourable usage for 60 game, so no need for the kid to have to prove it was no fluke.

And even if it wasn't a fluke, Marner is still the better player.

No, around here they needed to prove whether they were good 60-70 point players or the gods Leaf fans made them out to be. Boeser also put up “some” points with a pathetic offensive team around him outside of Bo. A solid portion of his goals were off plays he created

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lol leaf fans saying Nylander and Marner are better cause they had one more year of production when Boeser hasn't even had the chance yet.

It's not like Nylander and Marner have been putting up 60+ points for a decade, they could easily regress the same as Boeser.

It's even worse when they go "Nylander and Marner have scored 60+ and Boeser didn't so they must be better".

Go look at Calder finalists in the past 6 years . This was one of the strongest rookie crops in a long time. Hischier was like 7th in Calder voting. Debrincat sergachev and debrusk was 10-12 and they all had ~ 50 point seasons

Reactions: Cole

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No, around here they needed to prove whether they were good 60-70 point players or the gods Leaf fans made them out to be. Boeser also put up “some” points with a pathetic offensive team around him outside of Bo. A solid portion of his goals were off plays he created

Not quite, people were calling both of them busts following their drafts. Being informed and sharing that info isn't pegging anyone as a god, it's just that, as I suspect, many of you know less than you think about hockey.

Only way it makes sense for the haters to be so consistently wrong, year after year.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Lol leaf fans saying Nylander and Marner are better cause they had one more year of production when Boeser hasn't even had the chance yet.

It's not like Nylander and Marner have been putting up 60+ points for a decade, they could easily regress the same as Boeser

It's even worse when they go "Nylander and Marner have scored 60+ and Boeser didn't so they must be better".

Go look at Calder finalists in the past 6 years . This was one of the strongest rookie crops in a long time. Hischier was like 7th in Calder voting. Debrincat sergachev and debrusk was 10-12 and they all had ~ 50 point seasons

Nylander and Marner are worse because they might regress but Boeser certainly won't regress?

Debrusk had 43 points and Sergachev had 40. 43 isn't almost 50 and 40 is 40.

Your logic is almost as good as your ability to research.

Marner

Boeser

Nylander

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

It's not like Nylander and Marner have been putting up 60+ points for a decade, they could easily regress the same as Boeser.

It’s called consistency bud and it’s how great players are judged. And players who have performed consistently for two years are much more likely to sustain production than a rookie appearing on the scene who has played above expectations for his first season. There’s a reason why there’s such thing as a sophomore slump. Just don’t run away if Boeser doesn’t meet your high expectations of him.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Hang on, lets see if i have this...Marner/Nylander are worse because they have only had 2 straight 60+ seasons not 10, and they may regress.

Boeser is better because he's had 1 good season and we can't judge him on more than that....

I'm con-fuzzed.....

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hang on, lets see if i have this...Marner/Nylander are worse because they have only had 2 straight 60+ seasons not 10, and they may regress.

Boeser is better because he's had 1 good season and we can't judge him on more than that....

I'm con-fuzzed.....

They are all on the same boat. 1 year or 2 year, no big difference.

IMO, Marner is the best bet to put consistent good numbers

Nylander is as soft as butter. That's his genetic makeup

Boeser is a rare goal scorer. Those are the most valuable. If I have to pick one, I'd take him but Boeser and Marner is a toss up. I would take Nylander last

Reactions: Liferleafer

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
What is important to remember is that Marner/Nylander played on a very offensively gifted Toronto team, where as Boeser was carrying that carcass of a Canucks squad on his back.

It will probably be a more fair assessment to see how they stack up when Boeser gets a few seasons with Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes etc just like Marner/Nylander had eachother as well as Matthews/Kadri/Marleau/Gardiner/Rielly

HOWEVER

Goalscoring Boeser, Nylander, Marner
Playmaking Marner,Nylander, Boeser
Two way play is pretty even

The biggest thing is that Boeser is more valuable to the Canucks than either of Marner/Nylander are to the Leafs. If the leafs traded one of them theyd be fine next year. If the Canucks traded Boeser they might never score again

Reactions: ajpro20

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Nylander and Marner are worse because they might regress but Boeser certainly won't regress?

Debrusk had 43 points and Sergachev had 40. 43 isn't almost 50 and 40 is 40.

Your logic is almost as good as your ability to research.

Marner

Boeser

Nylander

Jesus did you even read my post. I said Marner and Nylander might easily regress the SAME as Boeser. And debrusk had a 50 point pace and would have likely reached it if he played 82. And sergachev is a dman. I was off on his production but you get the point. 19 year old rookie dman 40 points and ends up 11 in Calder voting.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I’m a Canucks fan and As it stands see it...

Marner
Boeser
Nylander

All of them are capable of taking a big next step and leaving the other two behind... all are also fully capable of stagnating or regressing and being left behind by the other two.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Last season I proposed a Boeser for Marner trade and Leaf fans we're all over it. Then Boeser got injured. Now Marner>Boeser. If Boeser would have stayed healthy he would have had 40-45 goals and edged out Barzal for the Calder and this thread wouldn't exist.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
There are a lot of Leaf fans on these boards I see lol. Marner is a 20 G 60-70 point forward. Boeser in his rookie year hit 29 (essentially 30) in 20 fewer games than Marner last season. Boeser was just starting to heat up before he was injured. I'd say they are fairly similar but I give the better goal scorer the edge imo. Marner also had better quality teammates and more consistent goaltending. Canucks goaltending last season let in a goal against in the first 5 minutes over 20 times. It was brutal. Hard to build up much of any steam when your sails keep getting the wind knocked out of them.

in their rookie seasons:

Marner had: 19G, 42A, 61PT (in 77 Games)
Boeser had: 29G 26A, and 55PTs (in 62 Games)

Boeser had 6 less points in 15 less games played in his rookie season well producing 10 more goals in that time frame.

If you compare their career numbers:
Marner has: 41G, 89A, 130PTs (in 159 Games)
Boeser has: 33G, 27A, 60PTs (in 71 Games)

If you combine his 9 games the season before it brings him up to 60 PTs in 6 fewer games then Marner with 1 point to spare. Boeser's sample size still is small and I suspect we may see a dip in production early on since the Sedin twins are no longer on the PP. But.. in fairness to Boeser... Edler didn't pass him the puck on the power play for half the season. There seemed to be an invisible forcefield by Boeser. Marner is very impressive and he was my favourite Leaf in the post-season for Toronto. But until we have another season of data I think its 2 early to call it. I personally feel 10 more goals in 15 fewer games well not receiving passes from your PPQB on the PP is pretty interesting.

We shall see how long it takes Pettersson to start clicking on the PP and if Coach Green separates Pettersson and Boeser to get both units going. I really hope not. that #1 PP unit with Boeser and Pettersson is going to be dirty. I can't wait til hockey is back on. This summer is taking forever.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Marner has a 0.818 PPG Production (0.257 Goals Per Game & 0.559 Assists Per Game)
Boeser has a 0.845 PPG Production (0.465 Goals Per Game & 0.380 Assists Per Game)

Marner's assist production accounts for ( 68.46 % of his point totals to date)
Boeser's goal production accounts for (46.48 % of his point totals to date)

Boeser's goal production accounts for (52.73 % of his point totals for last season) which is an insane rate lol.

Marner is a fantastic passer. I can't wait to see him and Johnny T lighting up the lamp. Too bad they weren't united together it would be a dominant duo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00