Value of: Marner/Nylander vs. Boeser

Who is worth the most?

• Total voters

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
It’s called consistency bud and it’s how great players are judged. And players who have performed consistently for two years are much more likely to sustain production than a rookie appearing on the scene who has played above expectations for his first season. There’s a reason why there’s such thing as a sophomore slump. Just don’t run away if Boeser doesn’t meet your high expectations of him.

Boeser actually played right to our expectations

I believe Marner will be the guy that separates himself from the other two this year. I also believe Nylander will have a breakout season. Boeser likely regresses because teams will focus on him more.

Teams focused on him plenty. By January he was drawing the toughest matchups.

Wrong. Played with hall of famers, if anything hes overrated. Lets see him drive a line. Its marner/nylander>>>>AINEC

He barely played with the Twins....And even if he had, they’re 37, not hart trophy finalists anymore. Marleau’s a future HOFer. Are Nylander and Marner overrated cause they played with him? Boeser spent most of the year with some mix of Gagne, Sutter, Eriksson etc. Even when he played with Bo he was the one driving the line and creating plays a good portion of the time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Boeser actually played right to our expectations

Teams focused on him plenty. By January he was drawing the toughest matchups.

He barely played with the Twins....And even if he had, they’re 37, not hart trophy finalists anymore. Marleau’s a future HOFer. Are Nylander and Marner overrated cause they played with him? Boeser spent most of the year with some mix of Gagne, Sutter, Eriksson etc. Even when he played with Bo he was the one driving the line and creating plays a good portion of the time.
Don't think Nylander played with Marleau more than a couple shifts all year at even strength.

From what I saw Boeser played mainly with Horvat, Baertschi then Gagner and Vanek. Played with the Sedins like 10% of his even strength shifts so not significant at all.

I'm not going to comment on who is better because it is far far too early to tell. Boeser has only played like 50 something NHL games...

The big difference between them is Boeser produces a much larger percentage of his points on the powerplay while also getting nearly a minute more per game of PP time.

Nylander was the best ES produces out of the 3 last year by a pretty big margin too.

Feb 24, 2017
I like how the Sedins were stupid, and old, and back to being “sisters”, and shoulda quit years ago, and were just destroying their legacies, if you asked the masses here...until it’s time to try and convince people that other Canucks weren’t actually that good, cause they got to leech off “The Sedins”, baby.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Brock Boeser. Would've scored around 40 goals if it weren't for that freak injury, on a bottom 5 team with zero offence from the back-end.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
For the record, I believe it's
Marner
Boeser
Nylander
And anyone suggesting that theres a significant gap between the three is nuts. Marner is better than both but not by a ton. Boeser is better than Nylander but by very little.

Whatthehades

Aug 13, 2018
Draft pedigree (it matters), larger body of proven nhl experience...

This is a pretty obvious answer until you factor in the leaf hate.

And I say this as someone who loves boeser, he may be miles better than marner come the end of their careers... but at this point... cmon what are you haters trying to prove.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Pretty fun thread. And civil considering its Leafs and Nucks we’re talking about.

I would choose Brock, but I’m biased in this. I really love the way he plays. Marner is a magician though, and his vision is out of this world. They’re pretty much neck and neck from an unbiased point of view.

Nylander still has room to improve and grow.

Brock however is coming off of some pretty serious injuries. Back and wrist surgeries. I have already tempered my expectations as we (the Canucks) are a terrible, terrible team. Brock will get 100% of the focus game in and game out. He will be targeted.

Leafs on the other hand, now with JT, have four stars in their forward group compared to Brock alone.

Will be fun to see how all these great young players progress this year!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
For the record, I believe it's
Marner
Boeser
Nylander
And anyone suggesting that theres a significant gap between the three is nuts. Marner is better than both but not by a ton. Boeser is better than Nylander but by very little.
agree on this, the gap between Marner and Nylander looked big last year but the year before Nylander was better than Marner. I think the gap will close between them again this year and the average of the two will continue to trend up for another year or two

Boeser is going to be fun to watch when Pettersson arrives, and it would be nice to see Van get Jack Hughes so we can see a Hughes/Boeser/Pettersson v. Matthews/Marner/Nylander poll & hopefully cup rivalry. I know the Leafs aren't a popular team to support outside of Toronto, but I think there's a ton of Leaf fans that would say their 2nd team is one of the western Canadian teams. It would be good to see Van/Winnipeg/Edm/Calgary be good at the same time that Toronto is and watch Bettman lose his mind in an all-Canadian cup final or three

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
My main thing for Marner being more valuable is that he benefits the most from linemate quality so his ceiling is higher than just his skillset in a vacuum. Boeser with elite linemates would obviously do better but the other two guys can only do so much to put him in good positions to shoot. Marner can create chaos on the ice at will, there isn't really a way to play against his line that gives you great odds of containing them if he has competent linemates.

Feb 24, 2017
7B653246-0DD1-41C8-B6CE-E833A8557D67.gif

I guess someone had to be that guy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In terms of value, it's pretty obviously Marner. He's the good Canadian boy, and most mainstream outlets talk of him like a hero, while relegating Nylander to unnecessary trade bait.

In terms of performance, I'd still put Marner first, but it's honestly very very close between all three. I'd probably go Marner > Nylander > Boeser as of right now (and I'm a Canucks fan!) but it's razor thin.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
In terms of value, it's pretty obviously Marner. He's the good Canadian boy, and most mainstream outlets talk of him like a hero, while relegating Nylander to unnecessary trade bait.

In terms of performance, I'd still put Marner first, but it's honestly very very close between all three. I'd probably go Marner > Nylander > Boeser as of right now (and I'm a Canucks fan!) but it's razor thin.
Oof you must not watch the Canucks very often then.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Oof you must not watch the Canucks very often then.

I do. I think Nylander has a bit more creativity than Boeser, although Brock has superb shooting and great hands in tight. I watch the Canucks all the time, and good grief, The Flow is one of the only lights we have. I'm just not a blatant homer fanboy.

So my opinion that "it's razor close" is patently wrong, and evidence that I clearly don't watch hockey, in your estimation? I'd like you to explain why, and correct my ever-so-incorrect opinion.

Reactions: slimbob8

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I do. I think Nylander has a bit more creativity than Boeser, although Brock has superb shooting and great hands in tight. I watch the Canucks all the time, and good grief, The Flow is one of the only lights we have. I'm just not a blatant homer fanboy.

So my opinion that "it's razor close" is patently wrong, and evidence that I clearly don't watch hockey, in your estimation? I'd like you to explain why, and correct my ever-so-incorrect opinion.
I never said you don't watch hockey, but anyways Boeser is pretty clearly a better and more valuable player than Nylander, and arguably Marner but that argument is a lot closer.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Didn’t boeser score 8 goals in his last 25-30 before suffering a pretty bad injury?
Right now has to be Marner no question.

Boeser has great potential but has more to prove.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Which means he was plzying favorable matchups so, yeah marner and nylander then brock.ainec

His line was drawing all the top d matchups. What are you on about? He won MVP at the allstar game as a rookie. He had 55 in 62 and is only going to get better. But sure he sucks and it was a fluke...….too bad he has a top 10 NHL shot already though. Clearly he wont be able to score 40 ever.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Boeser, that sniping is more valuable than the playmaking from the wing Marner does. If Marner was a legit C it would be different

Nylander being younger than both would have to be Drasaitl level to compare.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Didn’t boeser score 8 goals in his last 25-30 before suffering a pretty bad injury?
Right now has to be Marner no question.

Boeser has great potential but has more to prove.

His wrist was taped up and bothering him, clearly he was injured before he hurt his back. He would have been shut down earlier if he wasn't in the Calder race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad