Value of: Marner/Nylander vs. Boeser

Who is worth the most?

• Total voters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I know Leafs fans are going to hate me for asking this but I have not watched Nylander play that many times. Isnt he pretty much Jordan Eberle? Serious question. Looking for some insight please.
No gap in his skills. If he can be criticized, it is some of his choices. With the right attitude, he should correct that

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the real poll should be b/w Marner and Boeser. I give it to Boeser by a hair (pun intended?) since the league values goal-scoring a bit more than assist-guys. Also what Boeser did with a putrid VAN line up was quite impressive. Could have flirted with 40 goals as a rookie if healthy all year.

Reactions: Cole

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I believe Marner will be the guy that separates himself from the other two this year. I also believe Nylander will have a breakout season. Boeser likely regresses because teams will focus on him more.

Reactions: Cotton

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I believe Marner will be the guy that separates himself from the other two this year. I also believe Nylander will have a breakout season. Boeser likely regresses because teams will focus on him more.
Oh so Boeser regresses but Nylander and Marner can't because...they're leafs? Gotcha.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Had Boeser played a full season last year he would have had numbers similar to Matthews in his rookie year, therefore he is the most valuable of the 3.

Reactions: Steven Rush

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
I would go
Marner
Boeser
Nylander

I think they will all be all star players at some point if not sooner then later. Boeser will be an elite goal scorer and has the potential to win a few rockets. Nylander playing with matthews should get him 70-80 points consistently barring no injuries, He has Elite skill and an elite shot so i think anything is possible in terms of his offense. Marner has a massive ceiling. Makes plays like he has a set of eyes on each side of his head. Very hard to check and has moments where he controls the game when he is on the ice. Often is the best leaf in some games

Honestly i think boeser's durability is a huge question mark. I mean yes injuries are accidental and can't always be helped [Unless you are Joffrey Lupul], but durability is a big part of the sport and if he consistently keeps missing 20 games a season. There is no way he can pass players in terms of value. "what if" doesn't even compare to "has done". So speculation based off of pace is pointless. For all we know the player could go on a 20 game goal drought, unlikely, but we can't assume he would of got 40 goals just because he was on pace for it, which is why i give marner the advantage because at least he "has done" a lot in his first 2 seasons Vs Matthews and boeser who ended up having all of us talking about them and asking each other "what if they stayed healthy" No one will ever know lol

Feb 24, 2017
I would go
Marner
Boeser
Nylander

I think they will all be all star players at some point if not sooner then later. Boeser will be an elite goal scorer and has the potential to win a few rockets. Nylander playing with matthews should get him 70-80 points consistently barring no injuries, He has Elite skill and an elite shot so i think anything is possible in terms of his offense. Marner has a massive ceiling. Makes plays like he has a set of eyes on each side of his head. Very hard to check and has moments where he controls the game when he is on the ice. Often is the best leaf in some games

Honestly i think boeser's durability is a huge question mark. I mean yes injuries are accidental and can't always be helped [Unless you are Joffrey Lupul], but durability is a big part of the sport and if he consistently keeps missing 20 games a season. There is no way he can pass players in terms of value. "what if" doesn't even compare to "has done". So speculation based off of pace is pointless. For all we know the player could go on a 20 game goal drought, unlikely, but we can't assume he would of got 40 goals just because he was on pace for it, which is why i give marner the advantage because at least he "has done" a lot in his first 2 seasons Vs Matthews and boeser who ended up having all of us talking about them and asking each other "what if they stayed healthy" No one will ever know lol
I really hope Boeser and Matthews don’t make a habit of missing 20 games

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I think Brock is getting underrated a bit. Yeah his sh% was probably inflated a bit but he still scored at a 70 point pace with a emphasis on goals(38 goal pace) in his rookie season.

He should be a notch above Marner now for sure Imo.

Wrong. Played with hall of famers, if anything hes overrated. Lets see him drive a line. Its marner/nylander>>>>AINEC

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think the real poll should be b/w Marner and Boeser. I give it to Boeser by a hair (pun intended?) since the league values goal-scoring a bit more than assist-guys. Also what Boeser did with a putrid VAN line up was quite impressive. Could have flirted with 40 goals as a rookie if healthy all year.
The league values goals more than assists? Huh....there was once a player that had 894 goals....and 1963 assists, some say he's the best player to ever play....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The league values goals more than assists? Huh....there was once a player that had 894 goals....and 1963 assists, some say he's the best player to ever play....
what are you talking about? This thread is about the value of the 3 players.... do you disagree that if there were 2 similarly aged players at the same position, who net the similar amount of total points at the end of the year, that a GM would value the guy with higher goal totals a bit more? ie: 40g 25A vs 25g 40A

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
It seems like Marner is getting punished here for being NHL ready earlier than Boeser. They are from the same draft, Marner is actually the youngest player. I don't think Boeser has more room to improve because he played an extra year of college.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
what are you talking about? This thread is about the value of the 3 players.... do you disagree that if there were 2 similarly aged players at the same position, who net the similar amount of total points at the end of the year, that a GM would value the guy with higher goal totals a bit more? ie: 40g 25A vs 25g 40A
Just for conversations sake...not to sway an opinion, i don't think a guy that scores goals more carries any more value than an excellent playmaker if they get the same amount of points. Here's my reasoning, a guy that's a playmaker (assists more than scores) can move up and down the lineup and make players around him better. A pure goal scorer needs said playmaker to set him up. Now, that changes if the player is a center...they normally score more goals.

My response was only to point out that as good as the best player in history was at scoring goals, he was a much better playmaker.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Tough one. On one hand, Boeser is a great goal scorer and did it on a very bad team. On the other hand Marner plays for the Leafs so he is automatically better than his peers.

All seriousness my gut tells me Boeser would be the most fun to have, but the safest bet is Marner as of right now. Nylander though great, would be a distant third in this race. Wouldn't call him a whole tier below but i think it's obvious that at this moment he isn't as attractive as the other two as far as assets go.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It seems like Marner is getting punished here for being NHL ready earlier than Boeser. They are from the same draft, Marner is actually the youngest player. I don't think Boeser has more room to improve because he played an extra year of college.
I think there's some hockeydb evaluation going on - people seeing that Boeser only had one season and not looking at the draft years, and people looking at totals without context. Marner was PPG for his last 55 games of the regular season and playoffs combined while being an impressive possession player, and was bouncing all over the lineup before that but it still shows up as 69pts in 82 games total

I think Nylander is getting a bad rap here too for the same reason, he was significantly better in his first full season than he was last year. With average luck (given usage and linemates) he was a ppg player in 16-17, but hockeydb doesn't keep OIsh% so that gets overlooked

anyway, these guys will do what they're going to do regardless of what anyone on here says, so other than killing time waiting for the season to start I wouldn't put much stock in

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Goal scoring always gets the props from people (and most likely GMs) when the time comes.
But you have to put it all into context.
Is JVR (37 goals) > Marner (for not scoring 37 goals)?
Sometimes extreme playmakers make guys who have no business scoring x amount of goals that much better.
Not in every case, but it all needs to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Goal scoring always gets the props from people (and most likely GMs) when the time comes.
But you have to put it all into context.
Is JVR (37 goals) > Marner (for not scoring 37 goals)?
Sometimes extreme playmakers make guys who have no business scoring x amount of goals that much better.
Not in every case, but it all needs to be taken into consideration.

Yes there is context, did you conveniently miss the part where i said similarly aged + net similar amount of total points? JVR had more goals but is 8 years older and had 15 less total points. Of course Marner holds more value than JVR, how did you even deduct JVR as the comparison? This is a hypothetical thread trying to determine who has more value. Since the league and GMs give more props to goals as you mentioned, I think across the league Boeser has more value (not by much, as I mentioned) due to being similarly aged, paced at a similar total point level (he had more points during the time he was called up to the NHL on Oct 12 until VAN shut him down in March), but is the better goal scorer.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just for conversations sake...not to sway an opinion, i don't think a guy that scores goals more carries any more value than an excellent playmaker if they get the same amount of points. Here's my reasoning, a guy that's a playmaker (assists more than scores) can move up and down the lineup and make players around him better. A pure goal scorer needs said playmaker to set him up. Now, that changes if the player is a center...they normally score more goals.

My response was only to point out that as good as the best player in history was at scoring goals, he was a much better playmaker.
who was Boeser's excellent playmaker? Horvat? Who was his strong offensive Dman?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes there is context, did you conveniently miss the part where i said similarly aged + net similar amount of total points? JVR had more goals but is 8 years older and had 15 less total points. Of course Marner holds more value than JVR, how did you even deduct JVR as the comparison? This is a hypothetical thread trying to determine who has more value. Since the league and GMs give more props to goals as you mentioned, I think across the league Boeser has more value (not by much, as I mentioned) due to being similarly aged, paced at a similar total point level (he had more points during the time he was called up to the NHL on Oct 12 until VAN shut him down in March), but is the better goal scorer.
I didn't miss that part. It's a message board. Since we aren't talking face to face, when I read your posts (or other posts) it gets a train of though going in my mind you can't see. Not everything is a miss your post, don't agree, whatever. It's just what conversation with you in this capacity is making me think of.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
who was Boeser's excellent playmaker? Horvat? Who was his strong offensive Dman?
Man, this site has become so testy....nowhere in my response did i belittle Boeser. I was asked if i thought a guy that scored more goals than assists was more valuable than a guy that has more assists than goals....that's all. My answer was that i valued them the same unless they are centers....where in that did you take that i was bashing Boeser?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Man, this site has become so testy....nowhere in my response did i belittle Boeser. I was asked if i thought a guy that scored more goals than assists was more valuable than a guy that has more assists than goals....that's all. My answer was that i valued them the same unless they are centers....where in that did you take that i was bashing Boeser?
never said you were belittling Boeser... man this site is so testy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->