Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
On the the plus side, they shouldn't be tired after that effort.

Why can't our players outwork the players on the opposing team?

Skill can take our team quite far, but sooner or later, they got to learn that its the will/heart/drive that really translates to success.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why can't our players outwork the players on the opposing team?

Skill can take our team quite far, but sooner or later, they got to learn that its the will/heart/drive that really translates to success.

I call it not willing to play outside their comfort zone. However that is not the case for players fighting to keep their spots on the roster. Puzzles me how a guy like Marincin, who should know he is running out of time plays do soft and so dumb.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I call it not willing to play outside their comfort zone. However that is not the case for players fighting to keep their spots on the roster. Puzzles me how a guy like Marincin, who should know he is running out of time plays do soft and so dumb.

Because he is soft and dumb. He can't be something he is not.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Too much stick checking and no taking out of their man. I cannot believe Babcock has let this go on for so long. Makes me think he has checked out and I would pull the trigger if I could get Budreau. I am not sold on Keefe because he is a disciple of Dubas.
Agreed, but I think a lot of that is fear based. They know they need to be better defensively and they're trying to do it by covering the danger zones. Basically trying to avoid big mistakes.

Id like to see them go the opposite and high pressure, full possession focus. High pressure to regain control, utilize our speed, and then maintain possession - decrease our dump ins focus on regrouping and controlled entries, looking for openings, etc..

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Refs let a lot go, but only for one team. NO excuses though.

Marner is a mess. WAY too much of a hot dog player this season. Turning over pucks not making the right plays. Cost the Leafs 2 goals tonight.

Matthews is by far the best player on the Leafs.

Marincin was a dumpster fire again, what else is new, but hopefully when Dermott comes back he should be GONE for life.

The Leafs team defense as a whole is down right GROSS. Babock needs to make serious changes by Christmas or he should be gone.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed, but I think a lot of that is fear based. They know they need to be better defensively and they're trying to do it by covering the danger zones. Basically trying to avoid big mistakes.

Id like to see them go the opposite and high pressure, full possession focus. High pressure to regain control, utilize our speed, and then maintain possession - decrease our dump ins focus on regrouping and controlled entries, looking for openings, etc..

McGuire suggested the 8 second rule in our own end. Getting the puck out in less than 8 seconds forces our D to put pressure on the opposition. Unfortunately I do not think we have enough of the right players to implement that strategy.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
McGuire suggested the 8 second rule in our own end. Getting the puck out in less than 8 seconds forces our D to put pressure on the opposition. Unfortunately I do not think we have enough of the right players to implement that strategy.
I think we have the perfect crew to do it. It's not about physical play, it's about rushing decisions and taking away time/space. You'll see mistakes, but we're seeing that in our "safe" play anyways.

I worry if we have the goalie for it, since the vulnerable areas will be point shots and rebounds.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The Leafs will not win with Babcock as the coach. Players hate him...and for good reason. He takes some pride is screwing over players ala Commodore and Modano.

Dubas is the worst GM in hockey. And, the other GM's are not happy with Dubas raising the cap bar substantially forcing them to up what they have to play mediocre players.

I like Shanny but come on, someone screwed the pooch on Babcock and Dubas.

Half right - he didn't purposely screw over those players, but players and coaching staff do hate him. Dubas isn't the worst GM in hockey, he inherited an extremely situation and seems like he panicked a little. IMO, we should never be handing out Marner contracts to players who haven't proven they can win in the post-season. I can defend AM34, but not Marner. Lesson learned. We're drafting well and have a ton of talent in the minors so we should be able to parlay some movement for value. We're stuck with the core for now, they just have to learn how to win.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Refs let a lot go, but only for one team. NO excuses though.

Marner is a mess. WAY too much of a hot dog player this season. Turning over pucks not making the right plays. Cost the Leafs 2 goals tonight.

Matthews is by far the best player on the Leafs.

Marincin was a dumpster fire again, what else is new, but hopefully when Dermott comes back he should be GONE for life.

The Leafs team defense as a whole is down right GROSS. Babock needs to make serious changes by Christmas or he should be gone.
Who let Dubois stroll past him to score? Who lost the draw? Who took the puck in the opposition corner at the end of a long shift in overtime and then gave the puck away with 2 tired team mates still on the ice? There is a lot of blame to go around and picking on Marner as the scape goat may make you feel good but it is hardly an unbiased commentary.

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leafs Nation: upset stars aren't on the ice for critical late game minutes.

Also Leaf Nation: why are the star players on the ice late in the game when they're gassed?

Talk about a Bi Polar fan base.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
so the Leafs traded Kadri for Kerfoot right? wasn't there another guy supposed to come the Leafs way, anybody know when he's supposed to show up, I've heard he's pretty good maybe he can help

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hell yeah brother

I said it before and I'll say it again - IDGAF if it's the players or the coach who's the problem, just start addressing the damn problems. If firing Babcock is a stepping stone to solving roster problems, perfect.
what's Dubas waiting for then? Oh yeah, he needs his 2019/2020 season scapegoat.............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wish our players played with more heart, jump and drive... So frustrating watching them play so casually... where is the sense of urgency\??
I'd prefer a team of Dale Hunters, not as talented, but way more heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad