Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Wasn't in the GDT tonight. Worked elections for 13+ hours. Got home at 11pm excited to watch the Leafs game I set on PVR.

Columbus played better and deserve the extra point.

Matthews and Marner really don't work well at 5v5. Have said this for a while. 3v3 is a different story for sure but I'd stick to having Nylander with Matthews at 5v5. Didn't like seeing Kap and co, starting 3v3. Line matching in OT? C'mon Babs.

Tbh, I read a few pages of PGT, and I knew y'all would be pissed with officiating. Imo, probably in minority, but I didn't have a problem that much with officiating. The Bruins game? For sure. This one? They let stuff go for both teams but definitely favoured CBJ a bit, but they deserved it, imo. Sure, being on PK 5 times kills a lot of things for us so that for sure played a key in giving momentum to CBJ. I thought CBJ could've easily scored 4 goals in the 2nd if not for Fred. Team defense was a joke again. Only interested in playing offense it seems.

They did call some marginal penalties (AJ for tripping on Foligno, and that terrible call on GOAT for tripping Milano. Milano was already off-balance, falling) but it's because Columbus deserved calls simply due to what they were generating throughout game. Marner hook in the 2nd, and Spezza call are penalties everytime. Not being able to clear zone, or turnovers in own zone always end up in a GA, or a penalty. Happened tonight.

I thought we gave up way, way too much and honestly if Babcock played Hutch, we don't even sniff one point. That's how great he was (even though he allowed 2 early goals). This game could've been over after the second period with how much we gave up, but instead very fortunate being ahead 3-2.

FWIW, we generated a lot of great looks in the 1st, but Korpisalo was amazing, and our guys didn't finish those chances or could've been a MUCH different game.

I also HATE PPs to start periods. First penalty of the game went to Jenner on a really soft call. I was surprised the refs gave us that, so early in the game. Leafs could've made them pay dearly, but instead give up a shorty. Bad play by Marner. Very bad. But he made a great play on Kap's shorty later. Saw him as even after that play.

Matthews was brutal on PLD goal. Unacceptable read, and the way he got beat was upsetting. But to his credit, he was excellent after that mistake. All game. Until the OT where he stayed on too long.

Johnsson slash, is a penalty every time. No problem there. Even still, Kap ends up scoring a shorty on that call.

Kerfoot call I wasn't thrilled with, seems like Foligno just skated through his stick and fell, but Kerfoot could've done better there. Lots of stick penalties by Leafs this season. Careless with stick. Really surprising. Honestly. Need to be much more careful. Luckily for us CBJ PP BLOWS.

Johnsson made a great slap pass to Auston, who tied the game at 2 before end of 1st. Big momentum shifts after Kap goal all the way to Matthews goal.

I liked our puck movement, lots of things offensively, and goalie tbh. But didn't enjoy our defensive work though for sure. That second period I was clenching my butt cheeks almost all period.

Anyway, definitely nice to get a point. Especially heading into Boston with Hutch. Seems like an automatic loss. Hope I'm surprised. We had our moments in OT but Matthews over did it on that play, ended up deking himself out tbh.

Anyway, I'll stop the short story here. Defensively we gotta be much better. Play with a bit more fire. These guys don't hate being scored on. They say it in media, but actions speak louder than words. Anyway, still early in season. I'll take a point all day, over 0.

Let's be fired up tmrw from this loss.

Go Leafs Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Leader

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Just in case anyone was wondering the ref who officiated that disaster tonight was Jean Hebert the same ref who officiated game 1 of the Leafs Bruins playoff series in which Boston got away with everything and Kadri felt like he had to take the game into his own hands and got suspended.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just in case anyone was wondering the ref who officiated that disaster tonight was Jean Hebert the same ref who officiated game 1 of the Leafs Bruins playoff series in which Boston got away with everything and Kadri felt like he had to take the game into his own hands and got suspended.

He’$ a hebertually liar and he has a girls first name! Thats why the sissy calls lol

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Lets stop focus on the refs. Not in the teams control. Play cleaner, be more focused and eliminate sloppy plays. Faster and shorter linechanges at the end of the games. Dicipline in every detail. Do all the "borings" stuff into perfection. Move legs all over the ice, especialy in the corners and from the board to the mittle. That will eventually draw penalties. All those things and more are in the teams control. And that is how you win games. Not blaming the refs. Just do it!

Reactions: leuf

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Lets stop focus on the refs. Not in the teams control. Play cleaner, be more focused and eliminate sloppy plays. Faster and shorter linechanges at the end of the games. Dicipline in every detail. Do all the "borings" stuff into perfection. Move legs all over the ice, especialy in the corners and from the board to the mittle. That will eventually draw penalties. All those things and more are in the teams control. And that is how you win games. Not blaming the refs. Just do it!
The leafs haven't drew penalties for 6 years. Least amount of PPS during that time
Wonder if Gary sent another email telling the refs to keep the leafs out this year. So he can grow the game in the states

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Please stop complaining goalie rotation. Andersen himself said that he prefers to have a good pre game skate. Before 2nd game there isn't such thing.

Add to that your point is to gather points. If they calculate this way is the most valid strategy to gather points I'm fine with it.

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
Wasn't in the GDT tonight. Worked elections for 13+ hours. Got home at 11pm excited to watch the Leafs game I set on PVR.

Columbus played better and deserve the extra point.

Matthews and Marner really don't work well at 5v5. Have said this for a while. 3v3 is a different story for sure but I'd stick to having Nylander with Matthews at 5v5. Didn't like seeing Kap and co, starting 3v3. Line matching in OT? C'mon Babs.

Tbh, I read a few pages of PGT, and I knew y'all would be pissed with officiating. Imo, probably in minority, but I didn't have a problem that much with officiating. The Bruins game? For sure. This one? They let stuff go for both teams but definitely favoured CBJ a bit, but they deserved it, imo. Sure, being on PK 5 times kills a lot of things for us so that for sure played a key in giving momentum to CBJ. I thought CBJ could've easily scored 4 goals in the 2nd if not for Fred. Team defense was a joke again. Only interested in playing offense it seems.

They did call some marginal penalties (AJ for tripping on Foligno, and that terrible call on GOAT for tripping Milano. Milano was already off-balance, falling) but it's because Columbus deserved calls simply due to what they were generating throughout game. Marner hook in the 2nd, and Spezza call are penalties everytime. Not being able to clear zone, or turnovers in own zone always end up in a GA, or a penalty. Happened tonight.

I thought we gave up way, way too much and honestly if Babcock played Hutch, we don't even sniff one point. That's how great he was (even though he allowed 2 early goals). This game could've been over after the second period with how much we gave up, but instead very fortunate being ahead 3-2.

FWIW, we generated a lot of great looks in the 1st, but Korpisalo was amazing, and our guys didn't finish those chances or could've been a MUCH different game.

I also HATE PPs to start periods. First penalty of the game went to Jenner on a really soft call. I was surprised the refs gave us that, so early in the game. Leafs could've made them pay dearly, but instead give up a shorty. Bad play by Marner. Very bad. But he made a great play on Kap's shorty later. Saw him as even after that play.

Matthews was brutal on PLD goal. Unacceptable read, and the way he got beat was upsetting. But to his credit, he was excellent after that mistake. All game. Until the OT where he stayed on too long.

Johnsson slash, is a penalty every time. No problem there. Even still, Kap ends up scoring a shorty on that call.

Kerfoot call I wasn't thrilled with, seems like Foligno just skated through his stick and fell, but Kerfoot could've done better there. Lots of stick penalties by Leafs this season. Careless with stick. Really surprising. Honestly. Need to be much more careful. Luckily for us CBJ PP BLOWS.

Johnsson made a great slap pass to Auston, who tied the game at 2 before end of 1st. Big momentum shifts after Kap goal all the way to Matthews goal.

I liked our puck movement, lots of things offensively, and goalie tbh. But didn't enjoy our defensive work though for sure. That second period I was clenching my butt cheeks almost all period.

Anyway, definitely nice to get a point. Especially heading into Boston with Hutch. Seems like an automatic loss. Hope I'm surprised. We had our moments in OT but Matthews over did it on that play, ended up deking himself out tbh.

Anyway, I'll stop the short story here. Defensively we gotta be much better. Play with a bit more fire. These guys don't hate being scored on. They say it in media, but actions speak louder than words. Anyway, still early in season. I'll take a point all day, over 0.

Let's be fired up tmrw from this loss.

Go Leafs Go!
Kerfoot had his leg against the boards and the other player on Columbus skated towards it and fell over it. It was awful. You also forget the call on goat for the trip which was very marginal and the complete non call when he was hooked to the ice. There were also a few others Columbus did not get called for. But hey it was a game Toronto was leading why would they get another call.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Officiating sucks but that's not new. I Wonder why the Matthews line didn't switch there while we had possession in our own zone.

ugh yea they needed to do a line change there.

and i know everyone's on marner and i know matthews was an excellent player tonight but that last weak shot he took wasn't good he shouldn't have turned it over when they were so tired.

but so much blame also goes to babcock. wtf is he thinking line matching in OT. ugh.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Kerfoot had his leg against the boards and the other player on Columbus skated towards it and fell over it. It was awful. You also forget the call on goat for the trip which was very marginal and the complete non call when he was hooked to the ice. There were also a few others Columbus did not get called for. But hey it was a game Toronto was leading why would they get another call.
I mentioned the GOAT call in my essay lol. Definitely didn't like it. But hey not really hating on the refs for tonight. Boston game, no doubt. This one, the Leafs lost on their own. Anyway, atleast 1 point was nice.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
All 3 were greedy and this band of money hungry mercenaries are showing they're all about the money. I'm about ready to change my profile pic because none of these guys are playing as well as I expected, at least not consistently

lol why hate on nylander tonight. only making $7m. he plays bad and he gets ripped on. he plays good and he gets ripped on. have some balance in the analysis supermann.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The leafs haven't drew penalties for 6 years. Least amount of PPS during that time
Wonder if Gary sent another email telling the refs to keep the leafs out this year. So he can grow the game in the states
The refs bias against Leafs sucks, but the only thing the team can do is to play more diciplined.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Leafs lose game playing down to their opponents. Korpisallo made flashy saves but Andersen also had to work tonight, stopping breakaways. I'd argue they had an equal workload. The guys making the big bucks kept us in the game but away from the puck they continue being works in progress. That short handed goal to start things off and the Dubois goal immediately after may have something to do with the Leafs' play - score effects and all. So at the end of the day, the game was a bit of a disappointment. Babcock preaches playing fast but even the top talents on the team have trouble doing routine things which makes watching these games frustrating.

But you know what ticks me off? Depth player in Marincin had a bad game (with some commendable neutral zone work) and the fanbase is ready to bite.

This is analyst Carlo Colaiacovo calling out the depth defender. A guy like him, that played the game in Toronto, should know better. He wasn't anything special and yet he does lazy screenshot analysis that unfairly paint the wrong picture - Marincin was pulled in to that position by Atkinson after an icing. Could Marty have played that better? Of course. Would you expect consistently good defensive play from a guy you're paying near league minimum? Nah. Do these kinds of plays happen all the time? Yep.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
A lot of Marner hate in this thread.

I can't imagine how much better the Leafs would be if they were spending that same $11 million on Helm, Abdelkader and Nemeth.

Reactions: Volcanologist

horner

May 22, 2007
Marner needs to get his head out of his butt. And I think Babcock needs to take him off the PK.
He is good on the pk
But I would rather him keep his energy for 5 on 5 and pp.
And there is always a better chance of an injury on the pk.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
I lol at Marner in OT. Im not even mad at the 11million (we are under the cap so whatever) im mad at the bullshit, the whining, the tone deaf shit he and his agent pulled.....like if you think you all that you should know better and you should play better. CBJ scored 2 goals because of Marner.
Kerfoot again with a stupid penalty at the worst time.
Lol at Babcock linematching in OT. WOWEE!!!
Frederik again not stealing a game but to be honest the Leafs shoulda mopped the floor with the Jackets but like they always let the other team dictate the game. And again not starting on time.

I loved Kapanens game. The Soupman and Nylander were also good.
Matthews goofed at the 2nd cbj goal but played exeptional after that, the guy is clutch af.

Shoulda won.
A point vs the bruins would be a miracle.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
lol why hate on nylander tonight. only making $7m. he plays bad and he gets ripped on. he plays good and he gets ripped on.

To some he never play good. Different glasses for different players. I honestly dont think he should be judged on the same premis as the 11mill players. He should be good but they should be great and more consistent. Matthews is on his way being Matthews. Marner has the points but not found the groove yet. Nylander can be a lot better but is ok. Tavares need to find his groove, thought he was on his way before getting hurt.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Yeah, I guess I will write the same as most of you just so I can get it off my chest.
Freddy was really good this game. Good job. Matthews was a beast.
Marner ... first and OT goal, because of him. That's not how you justify a 11M contract. His pass to Kappy was good, but not worth 11M.
Babcock line matching again in OT? ... why ffs, why?!? Just don't do it.
I have no hope for Boston tonight. Really hope the boys surprise me.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The frustration with the refereeing is a legit grievance but the referees are not responsible when slower teams than the Leafs manage to not give up breakaways in OT while the Leafs do.

Gauthier didn't even touch Milano. Could we at least not get both referees from the states/provinces of our division rivals?

Washington game: 2 Quebeckers
Boston game: 1 Detroit born, 1 Detroit Red Wings alumnus
Last night: 1 Quebecker, 1 Massachusetts' born

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The frustration with the refereeing is a legit grievance but the referees are not responsible when slower teams than the Leafs manage to not give up breakaways in OT while the Leafs do.

Gauthier didn't even touch Milano. Could we at least not get both referees from the states/provinces of our division rivals?

Washington game: 2 Quebeckers
Boston game: 1 Detroit born, 1 Detroit Red Wings alumnus
Last night: 1 Quebecker, 1 Massachusetts' born

I got called names for suggesting game fixing, watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->