Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The money is committed to Matthews/Marner/Nylander who all suffer from the same affliction.
JVR/Kessel syndrome. As skilled as they can be at times, the can be just as lost, unfocused, missing, WTF in each and every game. Watch players like MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Rantanen, etc. and see the difference.

That's too much of the cash committed to the same affliction. We need some harder to play against, less likely to zone out money in the system.
Once again, we are on pace to give up even more goals than last year. It's been rising every year. The genetic makeup needs adjustment. Better D, another solid 2 way player on the Matthews wing, dependable goaltending and players who play with attention to detail. Too many stars aloof.

Tier 1:
Matthews, Tavares, marner
Tier 2: -4 million
Nylander
Tier 3: -2 million
Rielly, Ceci, Muzzin
Tier 4: - 1 million
Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen, Barrie
Tier 5: minimum pay
the rest

Your leaders have to be held accountable.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well then you'd also have over-paid, mal-content Zaitsev
only if another deal wasn't available, for example: packaging Zats with Kadri and getting a lesser return would have solved Zat's cap hit and the need for Kadri getting a change of scenery. Dubas has proven he's a creative trading partner, it's his player evaluation that sucks.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tier 1:
Matthews, Tavares, marner
Tier 2: -4 million
Nylander
Tier 3: -2 million
Rielly, Ceci, Muzzin
Tier 4: - 1 million
Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen, Barrie
Tier 5: minimum pay
the rest

Your leaders have to be held accountable.

These guys are paid to make a difference every night.

Relatively: Nylander is paid to make a difference every other game, Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen are paid to make a difference every third game, The $700K club are paid to make a difference once a month.

Most of the heat goes on the $11M club and so it should.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Man, Marner gets a lot of empty points. For a guy who's paid like a top 10 player in the league, he really doesn't dominate games like he's paid.

This is one of the worst games he has ever played, and there have been too many of these this year.

It’s been known for some time that Tavares turns average wingers into all stars but Marner fans always insisted it was the other way around.

Now we know the truth that Marner is the beneficiary and without Tavares he’s a lost puppy. Marner is a 60 or 70 point player without an elite center who is a liability defensively at even strength. He should be getting paid like Willy.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I agree though that last season's Hainsey >> Ceci. Don't forget how old Hainsey is. He is due for some rapid decline.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It’s been known for some time that Tavares turns average wingers into all stars but Marner fans always insisted it was the other way around.

Now we know the truth that Marner is the beneficiary and without Tavares he’s a lost puppy. Marner is a 60 or 70 point player without an elite center who is a liability defensively at even strength. He should be getting paid like Willy.

Marner has 3 points in 2 games without Tavares.

Who's the average winger on the Islanders that Tavares made into an All Star?

Reactions: MyBudJT

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A thought. JT is know to have made his wingers better. Matthews is great but can the same be said for him ?? Apparently Button was on the radio yesterday claiming that Matthews should not be mentioned in the same breath as McD. He doesn't even think Matty is as good a Draisaitl, which I found to be a stretch. I would be better playing with McDavid if I could keep up with him.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Apparently you aren’t watching the games. He accidentally banked the puck off Rielly on the OT winner and has been a minus player.

Tavares has been covering for him defensively which allows him to roam freely. Now that JT is gone Marner’s flaws are revealed.

I think you know better than to judge based off of a 2 game sample size.... :shakehead:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wish our players played with more heart, jump and drive... So frustrating watching them play so casually... where is the sense of urgency\??

I posted that in another thread the other day, and that it removes the entertainment value for me and I feel I'm just going through the motions watching the Leafs game now almost as I'm obligated to in the no hit game without the same enjoyment I should have as a diehard fan.

Its much like watching a movie because you like the main actors Bruce Willis and Tom Cruise etc and so you tune in to watch, but it just drags on and goes nowhere and you're waiting for it to be over.

I guess I'm spoiled because in the past we had such heart and soul players like Wendel and Dougie etc and I couldn't wait for Leafs games to start, and now I'm checking my watch to see when it will be over and I can move on to something more entertaining.

I'd give last nights game a 3/10 entertainment value and it was frustrating to watch Marner just casually skate around and then give up a SH goal against with a giveaway in his own zone, or Matthews standing still and allowing Dubois come out from behind the Leafs net and put the puck in the net with Matthews casual stick check attempt, as opposed to stepping right into him and knocking him off his feet.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Guaranteed that we wouldn't have had half of the penalties called against us if our team competed harder.

If stick checking is your way to get the puck back, it follows that you will get your stick in your opponents skates and cause them to fall on occasion, which is called tripping. Babs may need to explain this to his players.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Guaranteed that we wouldn't have had half of the penalties called against us if our team competed harder.

I think in the last 3 games the penalty calls are something like 15 to 5 against. Most of the penalties are happening from exhausted players who can’t go for a line change. That’s coaching. They need to maintain better possession in the offensive end.

But you can’t just focus on the penalties against. The real problem is the number of missed calls against them. There were a number of plays in this game where Gauthier and a Timashov were hauled down with no call. Chara is so slow he routinely runs interference in his own end with no calls. The B’s know they can run goalies without getting called. It’s completely outrageous.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think in the last 3 games the penalty calls are something like 15 to 5 against. Most of the penalties are happening from exhausted players who can’t go for a line change. That’s coaching. They need to maintain better possession in the offensive end.

But you can’t just focus on the penalties against. The real problem is the number of missed calls against them. There were a number of plays in this game where Gauthier and a Timashov were hauled down with no call. Chara is so slow he routinely runs interference in his own end with no calls. The B’s know they can run goalies without getting called. It’s completely outrageous.

:huh: You're the one that brought up penalities against, not me...

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
We're gonna get wrecked in Boston. . But it might be what this team needs. Something has to change. Something has to awaken within their being.

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I have just been thinking and I know now. I am done with this organization. I am done with them completely because they are incompetent. I love my Leafs but this is a case of new boss same as old boss.

I think the only sane mindset to keep is... Just go win guys, cheer the win if it comes and have no expectations. It's settled to me that MLSE hockey division is as stupid as ever. Show me don't tell me players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Babcock pleads for more players that can play a heavy game and its why Hyman is among his favourites as he works hard and fights for lose pucks in all zones. Now the Leafs have just a sprinkle of that in Mikheyev and Moore that bring that element but they don't play in the top 6.

If you're provided a bunch of soft figure skaters as player personnel, not sure how you can blame that on coaching being the problem Leafs can't maintain puck possession or gain puck possession in the Ozone.. Its hard work and effort that we saw from a far less talented Columbus team that pinned the Leafs in their own zone all night..

Will beats Skill every time, as hard work beats talent all the time..

Reactions: mmalady

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I posted that in another thread the other day, and that it removes the entertainment value for me and I feel I'm just going through the motions watching the Leafs game now almost as I'm obligated to in the no hit game without the same enjoyment I should have as a diehard fan.

Its much like watching a movie because you like the main actors Bruce Willis and Tom Cruise etc and so you tune in to watch, but it just drags on and goes nowhere and you're waiting for it to be over.

I guess I'm spoiled because in the past we had such heart and soul players like Wendel and Dougie etc and I couldn't wait for Leafs games to start, and now I'm checking my watch to see when it will be over and I can move on to something more entertaining.

I'd give last nights game a 3/10 entertainment value and it was frustrating to watch Marner just casually skate around and then give up a SH goal against with a giveaway in his own zone, or Matthews standing still and allowing Dubois come out from behind the Leafs net and put the puck in the net with Matthews casual stick check attempt, as opposed to stepping right into him and knocking him off his feet.

The fan shouldn't be putting in more work watching the game than the players actually playing it.

Watching this team this year has become work. It takes a lot just to try and not put my foot through the television and quit watching this team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Until this 15-5 run, the team had been way in the positive on the PP/PK ratio. I'm not apologizing for being a homer but I see how this team plays. Most nights this soft team should have more power plays than its opponents. The power play is a soft fast team's major defense against intimidation tactics and chronic opponent interference.

I seriously doubt that the Leafs' coach staff didn't want Marner and Matthews off the ice before they gassed themselves giving up that breakaway that lead to the end of the game. And it wasn't the first overstayed shift of the OT. The Mikheyev/Kapanen shift was the same and also resulted in facepalm breakaway Andersen stopped. I say this but Wennberg and Jones both took longer shifts than any Leafs' player did in the OT.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That was it for me.
Many players on this team need to look in the mirror.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Babcock pleads for more players that can play a heavy game and its why Hyman is among his favourites as he works hard and fights for lose pucks in all zones. Now the Leafs have just a sprinkle of that in Mikheyev and Moore that bring that element but they don't play in the top 6.

If you're provided a bunch of soft figure skaters as player personnel, not sure how you can blame that on coaching being the problem Leafs can't maintain puck possession or gain puck possession in the Ozone.. Its hard work and effort that we saw from a far less talented Columbus team that pinned the Leafs in their own zone all night..

Will beats Skill every time, as hard work beats talent all the time..

Babcock never uses time outs to rest players and he should be doing it. There’s many coaching strategies to smother the puck for at least a partial change. None of that is happening.

It also raises questions about their practice regimen. Are these guys getting gassed in practice to the point where it’s impacting their games? Conditioning issues?

There a lot of factors but the common denominator is the coach.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Apparently you aren’t watching the games. He accidentally banked the puck off Rielly on the OT winner and has been a minus player.

Tavares has been covering for him defensively which allows him to roam freely. Now that JT is gone Marner’s flaws are revealed.
He is a f***ing disaster in the dzone
And now he thinks he is a sniper for some reason too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad