Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mitch has built more credit with Leaf fans but he will run out if he continues to make bone headed plays like last night's. The other difference is that he makes lots of good plays in between brain farts so fans tend to forget.

Those brain farts won't be forgiven so easily now. He made his bed...

Reactions: ToneDog

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs in one picture:

upload_2019-10-22_13-21-15.jpeg

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
You are right. Let's this team wallow in mediocrity for the next 5 or 10 years and then make the change. Management has blown it! Let's get them out and get a real leadership team in there or watch your fans disappear and then I guess it won't matter. Dubas is a disaster and Shanny put him there that = goodbye to both.
Nice to see you fail to answer my question. Yes thats exactly what Shanahan did. :rolleyes: A little too much tin foil on your hat.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Those brain farts won't be forgiven so easily now. He made his bed...
For some reason Marner is the guy I expect the most from. We will see.

That being said, a major problem I'm seeing is the group that Dubas has committed to all have the same type of issue behind the skill.

While more talented, it still reminds me of the JVR/Kessel days. Very talented, very, very frustrating. And when committing to a core, you can't really go all in with guys who suffer the same affliction. Draisaitl plays different from McDavid who plays different from MacKinnon or Crosby and different from Rantanen etc.

All our guys have the same issues from intensity, physical, D, etc. That in itself might require a change. We need skill of different styles/results.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
For some reason Marner is the guy I expect the most from. We will see.

That being said, a major problem I'm seeing is the group that Dubas has committed to all have the same type of issue behind the skill.

While more talented, it still reminds me of the JVR/Kessel days. Very talented, very, very frustrating. And when committing to a core, you can't really go all in with guys who suffer the same affliction. Draisaitl plays different from McDavid who plays different from MacKinnon or Crosby and different from Rantanen etc.

All our guys have the same issues from intensity, physical, D, etc. That in itself might require a change. We need skill of different styles/results.

This would be a lot easier if Matthews decided to do what Gauthier did and started throwing the body down low. It would completely change a lot of things.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This would be a lot easier if Matthews decided to do what Gauthier did and started throwing the body down low. It would completely change a lot of things.
He doesn't have to throw the body but guys like Rantanen and Draisaitl use it to protect the puck so well down low and on the wall. We've seen Matthews do that (he can be a beast) but that is just to infrequent.

People like Muzzin. Muzzin doesn't play like Rielly. It's different skill.
The 3 forwards have the same troubles. That's a problem. Attention to detail, focus, board/wall play, intensity, etc.

If you have a Muzzin - Rielly, you need a Marner - Tkachuk. A Matthews something.
It's too much incomplete up front. 3 guys that don't really forecheck that hard, attention to D that hard and get lost in the clouds. 1 guy at least needs to be intensity skill.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think after all those early shoulder and back injuries in his career Matthews is a little more hesitant to play that style of game. Maybe he will get some more confidence in his body back if he remains healthy for a while

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
You do realize he was Assistant GM since 2015 right?

His work in the past rebuilding teams such as the Greyhounds and the Marlies, all align with rebuild in Toronto. There's a reason the first main management piece Shanny went after before we began the rebuild, was literally Kyle Dubas.

ALL on the team and developed under Dubas from the Marlies: Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Dermott, Moore, Nylander, Timashov, Gauthier, Holl

ALL on the team from Dubas trades: Muzzin, Barrie, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Ceci, Marincin

ALL being developed currently on the Marlies: Sandin, Lilijegren, Engvall, Robertson, SDA, Bracco, Scott, etc.

Matthews (1OV), Marner (4OV) were super-obvious picks AND caused by the rebuild (which as I mentioned Dubas was a major part of).

Andersen and Rielly were fantastic moves by the previous management (Lou). But outside of that, what on earth has he 'inherited'.
Baby boomers always hating on Dubas. When Lou is one of the most overrated GM, just like the coch Babcock. Dubas easily top 5 GM in the league, will be top 3 if he fires Babcock.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You do realize he was Assistant GM since 2015 right?

His work in the past rebuilding teams such as the Greyhounds and the Marlies, all align with rebuild in Toronto. There's a reason the first main management piece Shanny went after before we began the rebuild, was literally Kyle Dubas.

ALL on the team and developed under Dubas from the Marlies: Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Dermott, Moore, Nylander, Timashov, Gauthier, Holl

ALL on the team from Dubas trades: Muzzin, Barrie, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Ceci, Marincin

ALL being developed currently on the Marlies: Sandin, Lilijegren, Engvall, Robertson, SDA, Bracco, Scott, etc.

Matthews (1OV), Marner (4OV) were super-obvious picks AND caused by the rebuild (which as I mentioned Dubas was a major part of).

Andersen and Rielly were fantastic moves by the previous management (Lou). But outside of that, what on earth has he 'inherited'.

Another main piece Shanahan brought in was Babcock.
I wonder when the heat starts to turn towards Teflon Shanny?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Baby boomers always hating on Dubas. When Lou is one of the most overrated GM, just like the coch Babcock. Dubas easily top 5 GM in the league, will be top 3 if he fires Babcock.
:laugh: You mean in contract dollars signed? Couldn’t possibly be ranking unless you meant bottom when you said top.

I think many in the analytics crowd have blind loyalty to Kyle Dubas and can’t or won’t recognize that he’s done a pretty poor job so far.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
:laugh: You mean in contract dollars signed? Couldn’t possibly be ranking unless you meant bottom when you said top.

I think many in the analytics crowd have blind loyalty to Kyle Dubas and can’t or won’t recognize that he’s done a pretty poor job so far.

You probably have a point here.

Had Brian Burke signed Matthews and Marner at 11.6 and 10.9 respectively, this place would be absolutely livid.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I think many can't see past the Marner contract and acknowledge that overall, Dubas has done a really good job so far. What the reason for this blindness is, now that I don't know.

Reactions: Menzinger

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think many can't see past the Marner contract and acknowledge that overall, Dubas has done a really good job so far. What the reason for this blindness is, now that I don't know.
Maybe.

For me it’s not just one thing. I can usually reason with most decisions I don’t agree with but he’s made a few I just can’t comprehend.

I don’t like his philosophy, I don’t think he’s addressed the weaknesses and I don’t have confidence he can find the right mix with this core under the current cap constraints.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
He still tried to grab the puck with his glove, just because Anderson got there first, doesn't make it less dumb.

No he didn't, he was pushing down on Andersen's glove to prevent the Columbus player from knocking it free. I get it's popular to hate on Marner now but this is a pretty stupid thing to attack him for.

Reactions: ACC1224

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Maybe.

For me it’s not just one thing. I can usually reason with most decisions I don’t agree with but he’s made a few I just can’t comprehend.

I don’t like his philosophy, I don’t think he’s addressed the weaknesses and I don’t have confidence he can find the right mix with this core under the current cap constraints.

Not a fan of Muzzle?

Mikheyev?

Our drafts?

Ya there’s a couple head scratchers but the tradeoff would be a net loss imo. Dubas is carrying as hard as he can minus contract negotiations.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not a fan of Muzzle?

Mikheyev?

Our drafts?

Ya there’s a couple head scratchers but the tradeoff would be a net loss imo. Dubas is carrying as hard as he can minus contract negotiations.
Muzzin - Nah, not really. Hard to say that was a bad trade right now but I’d be curious to know what else was available.

Mikheyev - Yeah. I’m not sure how much credit he gets on the signing. I read Babcock was pretty involved in it.

Drafts are too soon to tell. I’m definitely discouraged seeing a bunch of squirts. Not that they can’t/won’t make it, but this team needs a better mix and he seems to target only one player type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->