Post-Game Talk: Marner loses it, 4-3 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
After last night, I can't see it. They might be in for a whooping tonight.

You're probably right unfortunately.

This is my pet peeve about this team. Tonight is a "big" game and it seems these guys fold up in big game situations.

Off the top of my head:
JT's return to the Island last year
Game 6 last year
Game 7 last 2 years
Tampa Game this year
Seems like most HNIC games

Maybe it's character, maybe it's the inability of the coach to get through to them, maybe it's a bit of both......IMO it's time to shake things up whether it be a big trade, or pull the trigger on Babcock. (and I'm "pro Babcock")

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock never uses time outs to rest players and he should be doing it. There’s many coaching strategies to smother the puck for at least a partial change. None of that is happening.

It also raises questions about their practice regimen. Are these guys getting gassed in practice to the point where it’s impacting their games? Conditioning issues?

There a lot of factors but the common denominator is the coach.

I think you have it backwards ..

After watching that lack of effort by the Leafs last night it should be Babcock that bag skates this team AFTER the game not BEFORE as you believe is the problem. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The fan shouldn't be putting in more work watching the game than the players actually playing it.

Watching this team this year has become work. It takes a lot just to try and not put my foot through the television and quit watching this team.
Pretty soon we could go to a Leafs game in Six if this continues on.
Scotia Game in Six | CBJ

• Oct 21, 2019 05:59
Highlights from the Leafs 4-3 loss to the Blue Jackets on Monday

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
If the boys put in a consistent effort, we'd be a top 2/3 team in this league. That's what bugs me more then anything else.

Feels like guys are trying to be a bit too fancy out there.
Every game so far, so many needless high-risk plays leading to turnovers and failing to clear the zone.

Reactions: ToneDog

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I have just been thinking and I know now. I am done with this organization. I am done with them completely because they are incompetent. I love my Leafs but this is a case of new boss same as old boss.

I think the only sane mindset to keep is... Just go win guys, cheer the win if it comes and have no expectations. It's settled to me that MLSE hockey division is as stupid as ever. Show me don't tell me players.

Again? :laugh:

The last time you were "done" and never coming back it lasted about 2 weeks if I recall correctly.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
You're probably right unfortunately.

This is my pet peeve about this team. Tonight is a "big" game and it seems these guys fold up in big game situations.

Off the top of my head:
JT's return to the Island last year
Game 6 last year
Game 7 last 2 years
Tampa Game this year
Seems like most HNIC games

Maybe it's character, maybe it's the inability of the coach to get through to them, maybe it's a bit of both......IMO it's time to shake things up whether it be a big trade, or pull the trigger on Babcock. (and I'm "pro Babcock")

Why was Tampa a big game but not the Bruins game that we won on Saturday? It wasn't a perfect game by any stretch (although the shot totals exaggerate how bad it was) but the team dominated when the game was on the line in OT.

What about games 5 and 6 from two years ago when we were down 3-1 and facing elimination? Lose and go home. Those games were no less important than game 7.

You're just picking the games we lost.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
fixed it for you

You do realize he was Assistant GM since 2015 right?

His work in the past rebuilding teams such as the Greyhounds and the Marlies, all align with rebuild in Toronto. There's a reason the first main management piece Shanny went after before we began the rebuild, was literally Kyle Dubas.

ALL on the team and developed under Dubas from the Marlies: Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, Dermott, Moore, Nylander, Timashov, Gauthier, Holl

ALL on the team from Dubas trades: Muzzin, Barrie, Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Ceci, Marincin

ALL being developed currently on the Marlies: Sandin, Lilijegren, Engvall, Robertson, SDA, Bracco, Scott, etc.

Matthews (1OV), Marner (4OV) were super-obvious picks AND caused by the rebuild (which as I mentioned Dubas was a major part of).

Andersen and Rielly were fantastic moves by the previous management (Lou). But outside of that, what on earth has he 'inherited'.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLS and stickty111

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Again? :laugh:

The last time you were "done" and never coming back it lasted about 2 weeks if I recall correctly.

The organization not the Leafs. Sorry I stated that further down. It's the org, teams the team. This org sucks

Reactions: Legendary

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Babcock pleads for more players that can play a heavy game and its why Hyman is among his favourites as he works hard and fights for lose pucks in all zones. Now the Leafs have just a sprinkle of that in Mikheyev and Moore that bring that element but they don't play in the top 6.

If you're provided a bunch of soft figure skaters as player personnel, not sure how you can blame that on coaching being the problem Leafs can't maintain puck possession or gain puck possession in the Ozone.. Its hard work and effort that we saw from a far less talented Columbus team that pinned the Leafs in their own zone all night..

Will beats Skill every time, as hard work beats talent all the time..
You understand that will isn't size, right?

Your post also points to huge identification issues in systems by our highly paid coach.

Luckily it isn't nearly as simplistic as you pretend.

horner

May 22, 2007
Agreed. Pretty simple minded to think that game was lost by one player.
I agree.
the focus of one player is getting a little stupid.

they were out to long and it caught up to them
the whole team played a sloppy game.
bad line changes etc.

Reactions: ACC1224

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why was Tampa a big game but not the Bruins game that we won on Saturday? It wasn't a perfect game by any stretch (although the shot totals exaggerate how bad it was) but the team dominated when the game was on the line in OT.

What about games 5 and 6 from two years ago when we were down 3-1 and facing elimination? Lose and go home. Those games were no less important than game 7.

You're just picking the games we lost.

Fair examples......I did use the term "seems" though.

IMO they lose more of their "big" games than they win....maybe that's normal? I don't know

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I thought management were going to give Babcock one more year to make a deep playoff push but now I'm thinking he may not make it to Febuary.

The team has 0 identify, there is only so many times you can attempt to jam a square peg into a circular hole and still be called sane....

One of the most important things a coach can do is alter or develop their system to best make use of the players on the roster.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I posted that in another thread the other day, and that it removes the entertainment value for me and I feel I'm just going through the motions watching the Leafs game now almost as I'm obligated to in the no hit game without the same enjoyment I should have as a diehard fan.

Its much like watching a movie because you like the main actors Bruce Willis and Tom Cruise etc and so you tune in to watch, but it just drags on and goes nowhere and you're waiting for it to be over.

I guess I'm spoiled because in the past we had such heart and soul players like Wendel and Dougie etc and I couldn't wait for Leafs games to start, and now I'm checking my watch to see when it will be over and I can move on to something more entertaining.

I'd give last nights game a 3/10 entertainment value and it was frustrating to watch Marner just casually skate around and then give up a SH goal against with a giveaway in his own zone, or Matthews standing still and allowing Dubois come out from behind the Leafs net and put the puck in the net with Matthews casual stick check attempt, as opposed to stepping right into him and knocking him off his feet.

They’ve been boring to watch for two years.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am giving Marner a pass.

Clearly he's out of shape. The negative press (rejecting 7-11) forced a quick resolution to his contract. I think he was just not prepared to play hockey this soon.

I give him a few more games and things will click.

He still has the vision and skill.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I am giving Marner a pass.

Clearly he's out of shape. The negative press (rejecting 7-11) forced a quick resolution to his contract. I think he was just not prepared to play hockey this soon.

I give him a few more games and things will click.

He still has the vision and skill.

I tend to agree. It's only 10 games into the season after all. St Louis was in what last place in November last year?

That said, no excuse for others on the team handling pucks like grenades and serving soft pizzas up the middle all game.

Reactions: ToneDog

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He’s immensely talented, but I said it when he signed…the expectations are much higher when you cash that kind of paycheque. If that had been William Nylander’s turnover in the first period and not Mitch Marner’s, there would’ve been darts fired all over the place saying he’s lazy, lacks compete and whatever other nonsense. So, let’s consider that.
Tonight, Mitch Marner made two critical errors and both ended up in the back of the net. The first one was a level of nonchalance on the power play that is difficult to comprehend. He had two passing options, for a full second, one behind the net, and another cross-ice. To just let Nash strip him clean of the puck without a fight is completely unacceptable. It would be different if he didn’t have support, but he had options. Not only that, his effort to take Nash to the net after he was stripped of the puck was virtually non-existent.

Rachel Doerrie’s 5 Thoughts vs CBJ: “We Are Not a Charity, We Cannot Give Them the Game.”

Reactions: stickty111

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s been known for some time that Tavares turns average wingers into all stars but Marner fans always insisted it was the other way around.

Now we know the truth that Marner is the beneficiary and without Tavares he’s a lost puppy. Marner is a 60 or 70 point player without an elite center who is a liability defensively at even strength. He should be getting paid like Willy.
He is an over 100 pt player right now and JT has done jack shit this season. Would certainly help if you watched more than a period of hockey before you spout absurd hot takes.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I think you have it backwards ..

After watching that lack of effort by the Leafs last night it should be Babcock that bag skates this team AFTER the game not BEFORE as you believe is the problem. ;)

This isn't a pee wee team.

When I see players bent over struggling for air that's not lack of effort. Matthews and Marner made some lazy plays but I can't say that about the rest of the team. It's not like Timashov, Muzzin and Mikheyev are dogging it out there.

There's a problem here managing ice time including player shifts. The practice regimen could be a problem as well. That's on the coach. If Babcock isn't getting the most out of the team he has to bear that responsibility.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It’s been known for some time that Tavares turns average wingers into all stars but Marner fans always insisted it was the other way around.

Now we know the truth that Marner is the beneficiary and without Tavares he’s a lost puppy. Marner is a 60 or 70 point player without an elite center who is a liability defensively at even strength. He should be getting paid like Willy.

Careful, some defend Marner like he can do no wrong ever. Just like the few that defend Babcock

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad