Value of: Marner for a top pair RD

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I doubt you'd get any bites on this. As good as Marner is, wingers just don't fetch those kind of D; the positional value isn't there. When Edmonton moved Hall, they were offering him for virtually any U-25 RD in the league who looked to have the potential to fill that kind of role, and NJ was their only taker. Marner is a bit better than Hall was at the time of that trade, but that's probably not enough to get you from Adam Larsson to a genuine top pair D. The flat cap also doesn't help things.
Hall for Larsson is the reason why you don't trade Halls for Larssons anymore.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
lol what.

Yes. 100%.

Marner is in a class of wingers that drive a 1st line.

There is no lol what about it. I wouldn't want Marner for that package for a number of reasons.

1. We dont need him. We are years away from contending.
2. He would probably hate it here going from one of the best offences in the league to one of the worst.. On a team that is years away.
3. Unless something dramatic happens in the next 5 years, he would likely leave as a ufa, which means we would have given up 2 of our better assets for 5 years of Marner in a period where we wont be winning anything. especially not without Hronek who will be a big part of this teams D in the coming years.
4. There are lots of other things I'd want to do with two of the teams better assets and 11 mill in cap space.

Marner is a good player most of the time, but it doesn't make sense for Detroit to have any interest in him. I want them to continue drafting and building from within, then try to aquire the right peaces when the team is starting to make progress.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hall for Larsson is the reason why you don't trade Halls for Larssons anymore.

Right. To be clear, I'm not saying the Leafs should trade Marner for a Larsson. I just don't think Marner would return the kind of D the Leafs are looking for, which is why they should keep him (well, that and he's the 2nd best forward Toronto has). If I were Dubas, Nylander is the forward I'd be shopping.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Yes. 100%.

Marner is in a class of wingers that drive a 1st line.

That could be possible, but it's still a bad idea to pay 11mill/season for it, especially when the team's already paying 11+mill/season each for two centers. Why does an 11mill winger & 11mill center need to play together? Doesn't seem like the team's getting good value for it for those that subscribe to the money puck philosophy.

Imo, an eight-figure yearly salary should be reserved for players that can make middle-6 players look like 1st-liners; eg. Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, etc.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That could be possible, but it's still a bad idea to pay 11mill/season for it, especially when the team's already paying 11+mill/season each for two centers. Why does an 11mill winger & 11mill center need to play together? Doesn't seem like the team's getting good value for it for those that subscribe to the money puck philosophy.

Imo, an eight-figure yearly salary should be reserved for players that can make middle-6 players look like 1st-liners; eg. Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, etc. Not make first liners look like first liners.

Paying your best players is never a problem.

When Marner challenges for an Art Ross there is going to be a lot of bad takes around here.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Paying your best players is never a problem.

I feel Kyle Dubas overpaid Mitch Marner b/c of the Mike Babcock situation, and the flat cap exacerbated it. A Leon Draisaitl-esque contract would've been more than fair, and that's w/ inflation being accounted for.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I feel Kyle Dubas overpaid Mitch Marner b/c of the Mike Babcock situation, and the flat cap exacerbated it. A Leon Draisaitl-esque contract would've been more than fair, and that's w/ inflation being accounted for.

Oh no! That extra 1.3 million could go to Kyle Clifford instead!!!

The Marner contract is fine and people are
being obnoxious about it because the Leafs got beat in a freak off season.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

this shit is comical at this point.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Leon Draisaitl's cap hit is 8.5mill, so that's an additional 2.4mill. 2.4mill is the difference between paying an average 3-3.5mill player & a 5.5-5.9mill good/star level player. Nothing to scoff at.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Doughty/Ellis.
The Doughty thing had been suggested ad nauseum. Doughty will retire a King. Blake publically stated the he and Kopitar are going nowhere. Other than that, the Kings are going to have a young D group and will need his leadership.

Marner is an exceptional forward and they could really use him. But, not at the expense of Doughty and the Cap hit.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Pens bounced by last placed MTL...nothing
Oilers bounced by last placed Hawks....nothing
Blues down 2-0...nothing
Caps down 2-0....nothing.

Leafs bounced buy a team in essentially the same point position as them? 'All their players are lazy and worthless because they didn't win a qualifier!!!!"

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Over the length of Marner’s contract how many better RWs in the league will there be?

I subscribe to some money puck ideas, so when it comes to wingers, I value goals & take into account how many that player produces compared to what he's getting paid. Mitch Marner had 16 goals this past season, while playing w/ an 11million/season center, and Marner himself got paid 10.9mill. That's $681,250 per goal. Not going to do that math for every 20+ goal RWer, but I imagine that doesn't rank very high.

Obviously Marner's known as a playmaker, but I prefer the prototypical scoring winger. If you're making close to 11mill though, you should be both a goal scorer & playmaker.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I subscribe to some money puck ideas, so when it comes to wingers, I value goals & take into account how many that player produces compared to what he's getting paid. Mitch Marner had 16 goals this past season, while playing w/ an 11million/season center, and Marner himself got paid 10.9mill. That's $681,250 per goal. Not going to do that math for every 20+ goal RWer, but I imagine that doesn't rank very high.

Obviously Marner's known as a playmaker, but I prefer the prototypical scoring winger. If you're making close to 11mill though, you should be both a goal scorer & playmaker.

That’s cool that you prefer that, but Mitch Marner is one of if not the best RW in the game and plays all situations and scores at above a PPG pace. So I think you’re wrong.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

the marner contract is too rich. he was no ufa, he was a rfa and most of the competitors of toronto signed their rfa's to a lesser number. point accepted 6.75m on a three year deal and will still be a rfa at the end of the contract.
you might not want to spend 1.3 million on clifford, but you can't save 1.3 million by not resigning kyle clifford. at the end of the day you need to fill out your roster and if you only be able to pay league minimum contracts for your bottom six players, you will have a bottom bottom six.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That’s cool that you prefer that, but Mitch Marner is one of if not the best RW in the game and plays all situations and scores at above a PPG pace. So I think you’re wrong.
not in top 3: kane, kucherov, stone

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
the marner contract is too rich. he was no ufa, he was a rfa and most of the competitors of toronto signed their rfa's to a lesser number. point accepted 6.75m on a three year deal and will still be a rfa at the end of the contract.
you might not want to spend 1.3 million on clifford, but you can't save 1.3 million by not resigning kyle clifford. at the end of the day you need to fill out your roster and if you only be able to pay league minimum contracts for your bottom six players, you will have a bottom bottom six.

Tampa has a different salary structure and I don’t think Point is as good at his position as Marner.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You think Kane is going to be better over the length of that contract?

Also if these are the top 3 wingers. Marner's contract is extremely fair given his age and theirs when they signed their contracts.
kane has just finished the fifth year of his 8 year contract and so far is better than ppg. his doing fine.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Tampa has a different salary structure and I don’t think Point is as good at his position as Marner.
point plays the more valuable position. he is the 1c of one of the best teams in the nhl. tampa moved their captain stamkos to the wing because of him and he is paid more than 4 million less than marner. toronto's salary structure is actually the main issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad