Value of: Marner for a top pair RD

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You have to look at what value Marner can actually bring in here:

90 point fwd who PPs and PKs. Top point getter for the Leafs in the playoffs the 2017-2020(aggregate).

Half his deal is paid off by the start of next season, the team he goes to pays him 30m for 5 seasons.

Good for teams that don't have to worry about cap hit and get value for their money. Reports are teams are more cash strapped with no gate revenues.

Have to think he can return a top pairing Dman.

Only reason the Leafs may look at moving him is the obvious 3 11M forwards not working out and need help on RD. Matthews and Tavares not moving.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Go to NJ

Subban + Severson + ???

Marner + Holl + Dermott

cap is pretty much the same here.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Devils, Ottawa and Detroit. Kings. But even for them, it leaves the possibility further additions a little difficult after accounting for rfas and the like
I've been trying to figure out a 3-way for the Devils to use their extra cap space to get players for less value (in terms of picks, prospects, and roster players). The problem is the obvious one that's always there--no one (here) wants to trade something worth trading and even if they do they almost never agree with the returns.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I've been trying to figure out a 3-way for the Devils to use their extra cap space to get players for less value (in terms of picks, prospects, and roster players). The problem is the obvious one that's always there--no one (here) wants to trade something worth trading and even if they do they almost never agree with the returns.

The length of the contract really gets in the way of that. I don't know that you can retain for only a set period of time, can you? If the Leafs and another team used the Devils as an intermediary with regards to cap retention, I think that they have to retain the entire length of the contract, which really makes that a non starter given the length of the contract remaining, I would think. I'm not sure if I'm wrong in that thinking though...if someone could confirm or correct, would be appreciated.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The length of the contract really gets in the way of that. I don't know that you can retain for only a set period of time, can you? If the Leafs and another team used the Devils as an intermediary with regards to cap retention, I think that they have to retain the entire length of the contract, which really makes that a non starter given the length of the contract remaining, I would think. I'm not sure if I'm wrong in that thinking though...if someone could confirm or correct, would be appreciated.
That's why I'd make it a three way--basically the Devils could keep Marner, retain salary on a defenseman (or whatever, but probably a RD) whose contract expires before they have to resign Jack Hughes, and they send out assets that the Leafs would otherwise not accept for a winger of Marner's value in a trade between the two teams.

The idea started with one of the threads here about Letang to Toronto because his contract length seemed perfect, but Pittsburgh fans want more because (in their opinions) he's still an elite 2-way PMD and they want full value (or something to that effect) and Toronto fans don't want (what they believe) is a 1-dimensional OFD (it's not what they think they need). I'm glossing over a lot here, but that's the general idea (and I don't want to get too into the Letang argument, that's just a little background).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Marner's cap hit is a problem in and of itself. He's a really good young player, but is getting paid like a Superstar who has won multiple Cups (i.e. Kane). Most teams do not want to, or can't, deal with that.

Trade for Skinner and the #8. Salaries are close. Pick Sanderson or Drysdale with the #8.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
This is the trade I want Toronto to do.

If you can find that guy to pair with Rielly Toronto becomes substantially more balanced over night.
I remember during the world championships where Rielly was paired with Tanev, and they dominated they weren't on the ice for a goal against, top pairing, they won gold.
Obviously Tanev isnt the guy as he has passed his peak, but they need to make a trade for the right side badly.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Marner thread again?

Nacho - Kidding.gif

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would honestly be shocked if they moved Mariner. Friedman said they expect him to be in the Art Ross conversation for a long time. They’re not going to get anything near what their internal evaluation is.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I'd take Marner but we already have too many small wingers.

But Marner as RW #1 and Caufield as RW #2 looks really nice... IF we had bigger LWs.

Also 11 million a year...ouch!

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Subban was traded 4 years ago with 58M remaining to paid out over the next 6 seasons (an average of 9.7M per year). Marner has 35M remaining to be paid out over the next 5 years (an average of 7.0M per year). There are a number of teams that are cashed strapped, don't plan on spending to the cap, making the cap hit irrelevant, and a player that has a cap hit 4M more than the cash payments would be a massive benefit to them. They would be falling over themselves to get a player of Marner's level for 7M a year - including for a mere 700K next year when cash flow will be tightest.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->