Value of: Marner for a top pair RD

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Marner at 8.0 would be a good value contract.

At 10.9 he's s a cap dump. No one with sane mind won't touch that contract. He's a winger who can't score.

Teams spend that kind of money for top 10 C or top 10 D or top 3 winger.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

St Louis515

Nov 18, 2018
Marner for Alexander Steen & Parayko
Blues are not moving Parayko, especially with Petro likely moving on. I would trade Dunn, a upcoming top pair d-man,who will be getting a new deal, but controllable for the Leafs.along with Jordan Kyrou, former top pick, would be on an ELC.
The Leafs would get 2 cost control players for half of what the are paying for Marner.
The Blues need to change up roster slightly, Moving out Jaden Schwartz, Bozak,and money saved from Petro. Play Marner with Robert Thomas.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Marner isn't going to be moved unless the Leafs take a huge hit on the trade value. The Sharks wouldn't trade Karlsson for Marner. They'd make Burns available. Package him with someone like Labanc or something and I know people aren't going to like that but that's what it would look like from the Sharks' end because Karlsson just wouldn't be available while Doug Wilson is the GM.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I would honestly be shocked if they moved Mariner. Friedman said they expect him to be in the Art Ross conversation for a long time. They’re not going to get anything near what their internal evaluation is.
Their future cap situation would thank them a ton if they could get as close to fair value for Marner possible.

Nylander produces to his cap hit and can replace more production than Marner can overachieve by. The money saved from Marner vs Nylander helps the defense more

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Subban was traded 4 years ago with 58M remaining to paid out over the next 6 seasons (an average of 9.7M per year). Marner has 35M remaining to be paid out over the next 5 years (an average of 7.0M per year). There are a number of teams that are cashed strapped, don't plan on spending to the cap, making the cap hit irrelevant, and a player that has a cap hit 4M more than the cash payments would be a massive benefit to them. They would be falling over themselves to get a player of Marner's level for 7M a year - including for a mere 700K next year when cash flow will be tightest.
But his cap hit isnt 7m unfortunately - thus teams cant fit an ~11m cap without sending some back

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Marner for Ekblad is the only straight up trade I can forsee. More likely he ends up somewhere like LA for futures.
Doesn't make sense for Florida: more money for a position with less need and leading gap whole to help same division rival....

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
In the convo for top 3-5 winger in the game and is a cap dump at 10.9...........................never change HF never change HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reactions: Rob Brown

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Doesn't make sense for Florida: more money for a position with less need and leading gap whole to help same division rival....

I don't think it's going to happen for obvious reasons, just that it's the only option for a straight up deal. There would probably need to be a small retention to even salary, Marner is owed ~35 million, Ekblad 31.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
When was the last time a player with a $7m+ cap hit was traded? (Weber/Subban aside) At $10+ million, he's not movable, it's just too big of a hit.

They aren’t traded because there is a crazy amount of risk in moving that level of player (for both teams). So NHL GMs look at the status quo as the safer bet.

Teams hand out terrible contracts to, 27+ year old UFAs like candy. The cap hit isn’t the problem, they would find space for 90-point forward who is just barely entering his prime. But then again, the Leafs aren’t trading him.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Oh no! That extra 1.3 million could go to Kyle Clifford instead!!!

The Marner contract is fine and people are
being obnoxious about it because the Leafs got beat in a freak off season.

The Leafs have been running with that core for 3 or four years now and haven't won a single playoff series, so how about we don't pretend that it's all because of Corona.

Reactions: viceroy

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Trading Marner now would be a huge mistake. He had a so-so year, but he's still only going to improve.

Unless you get a similar young talent on D, it just doesn't make sense.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The challenge the leafs would have would be to find a suitor that has a) the cap space to take on Marner's hit and b) the pieces toronto would want in return, and is actually available. How many teams out there satisfy both requirements? Very few, if any, so I don't think there would be 'plenty of suitors' as you say

It’s not like they would be looking for picks, whatever defenseman comes back has salary going with him. Throw in a depth forward and the team is likely only adding a couple million, which isn’t very unusual for a trade.

For example (and this is purely an example for the cap consequences, before people jump down my throat over the players).

Marner for Ekblad and Vatrano. That’s about an $800k addition for Florida.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Marner at 8.0 would be a good value contract.

At 10.9 he's s a cap dump. No one with sane mind won't touch that contract. He's a winger who can't score.

Teams spend that kind of money for top 10 C or top 10 D or top 3 winger.
Marner has already been paid almost 30 million of his 65 million in bonuses. For teams trying to save money a 10.9 cap hit with almost half the money already before Marner starts the 2nd season on that deal is a dream contract to many cash strapped owners. To claim he would be a cap dump is laughable

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Marner for Ekblad is the only straight up trade I can forsee. More likely he ends up somewhere like LA for futures.

For what it's worth, the Leafs really don't need to trade Marner unless they're signing Pietrangelo; in which case they'll probably be looking for a $6-8m forward to offset his loss. They don't need or want to go from Marner-to-zero... they realistically need to find a way for their top 4 forwards to make about $2-3m less in order to accommodate Pietrangelo -- which is of course frusturating because $2m is just about how much Marner got overpaid by.

There are 16 defencemen in the league right now with contracts greater than $7m. They are:
Karlsson, Doughty, Josi, Subban, OEL, Trouba, Carlson, Burns, Chabot, Hedman, Weber, Spurgeon, Suter, Ekblad, Letand and Vlasic. The Leafs can comfortably acquire a $5m defenceman simply by moving Johnsson. They can probably figure out a way to stretch that to $7m without touching the big 4 up front.

Of that group, you've got 4 untouchables (Josi, Carlson, Chabot, Hedman), 7 guys that you really don't want (Subban, OEL, Burns, Weber, Suter, Letang, Vlasic), leaving 5 theoretical targets -- Karlsson, Doughty, Trouba, Spurgeon, Ekblad.

You're not going to trade a 23 year old Mitch Marner for a 30 year old Erik Karlsson or Drew Doughty. I don't think you're going to do it for a 5'9 30 year old defenceman in Jared Spurgeon. I don't believe Jacob Trouba would be willing to come to Toronto, nor do I think he has the remaining upside to be somebody that it makes sense to lose Marner for. I think Ekblad is really the only guy who moves the needle.

The guys who make less than $7m, either aren't good enough to "move the needle" for Mitch Marner, are too old, or simply too valuable to their teams because they're at the tail end of a really good contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Korg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad