Value of: Marner for a top pair RD

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

His point is that people forget how young this team is and how quickly they bounced back from a complete teardown.

Go back to the eve of the 2016-17 season, not many people are pegging the leafs for playoff spot with ~8 rookies on the roster and coming off a last place finish the year before. We were the first team to make the playoffs immediately after picking 1OA since Boston picked Thornton in 1997. Most would have said miss in 2017, fighting for a spot in 2018, with 2019 really being the first year where it's "expected".

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Shhhh. He's busy rewriting history.
What’s also changed year over year is the expectations from the outside. You guys had a great year last year and made the playoffs. People are really fired up for this season. How comfortable are you with the elevated expectations going into this year?

Shanahan
: If you want to be in this business and you want to be successful, you are going to have to, at some point, be ready to deal with higher expectation. That just comes with the territory. There is a lot of optimism in the city, certainly, and we understand that. But we’re staying pretty focused and Mike Babcock and Lou are fantastic, and so are our players, on being focused on the fact that there is a lot of hard work ahead. When you look at the Marlies and what Sheldon Keefe has done for us in getting players ready and what Kyle Dubas has done in getting players ready, it has been a full organizational push to ignore either the negative things being said or the positive things being said about us, and just staying focused on the job.

k.

The organization did not expect to make the playoffs in 16-17. They did not expect to be contenders in 17-18. The fact that an insane Toronto media market and fan base had those expectations means zilch. The Leafs have underachieved in two seasons and one of those was an asinine COVID cup where nearly 50% of the teams underachieved.

Fanbases are just jealous of what the Leafs have locked up over the next year and are trying to rationalize why they won't succeed. As a Penguins fan I heard how we would never win anything with Crosby and Malkin and Letang being paid 7+ mil each over and over again.

Back to back cups. You never "lose" by paying your best players you biggest salaries. You figure a Wings fan would know that....

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
For what it's worth, the Leafs really don't need to trade Marner unless they're signing Pietrangelo; in which case they'll probably be looking for a $6-8m forward to offset his loss. They don't need or want to go from Marner-to-zero... they realistically need to find a way for their top 4 forwards to make about $2-3m less in order to accommodate Pietrangelo -- which is of course frusturating because $2m is just about how much Marner got overpaid by.

Fair point, but in my personal opinion trading a 23 year old for the cap space to sign a 30 year old UFA is a terrible idea, so I'm hoping that's not the plan. The only way I trade one of our young top forwards is if a similar aged player is coming back.

That's not the type of player you dump for cap space. You trade him only to improve your team.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The Leafs have been running with that core for 3 or four years now and haven't won a single playoff series, so how about we don't pretend that it's all because of Corona.

Tavares was just signed 2 years ago. 4 years ago this was the worst team in hockey and just drafted Matthews. Matthews,Marner and Nylander were rookies along with 8 other players. They set all kinds of records for games played and points by rookies. Detriot is easily the worst team in hockey. Lets see how they do next year or where they are in 4 years.
These posts about the Leafs trading one of the Big 4 that everyone calls them is either trolling or a fan who doesn't like that player. Unless it is for a player that is top 10 on this planet right now. None of these guys are moving. If anyone is traded from the big 4 it will be Nylander and the earliest I can see this is after the Expansion draft even if they are out of a play off race by Christmas.
The Shanny plan from day one has been to acquire high end talent and run with it. Previous examples are Pittsburg twice, Detroit twice once with Stevie Y and once with Lidstrom, and the team that started it all the Gretzky Oilers. They are not changing this unless Shanahan is fired and that will be 2 GM's and 4 coaches from now.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Marner for Ekblad is the only straight up trade I can forsee. More likely he ends up somewhere like LA for futures.

He’s not getting traded at all, and wasn’t listed amongst those who are available by Dubas.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
k.

The organization did not expect to make the playoffs in 16-17. They did not expect to be contenders in 17-18. The fact that an insane Toronto media market and fan base had those expectations means zilch. The Leafs have underachieved in two seasons and one of those was an asinine COVID cup where nearly 50% of the teams underachieved.

Fanbases are just jealous of what the Leafs have locked up over the next year and are trying to rationalize why they won't succeed. As a Penguins fan I heard how we would never win anything with Crosby and Malkin and Letang being paid 7+ mil each over and over again.

Back to back cups. You never "lose" by paying your best players you biggest salaries. You figure a Wings fan would know that....

Good to see you're already walking back your comment. :laugh:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Marner will be better as he gets bigger, stronger and more experience. If they trade him now, they don't trade him for an old guy who will get worse before Marner reaches his peak. Plus we already have an older guy making >10M, why would we want more?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Good to see you're already walking back your comment. :laugh:

I mean, I posted the expectations of the president of the team. If that isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

Tell me more about how their core has failed for 4 straight years though when nobody expected them to make the playoffs in 16-17 and if anything they were hoping to make the playoffs in 17-18.

Reactions: leafsfan5

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Fair point, but in my personal opinion trading a 23 year old for the cap space to sign a 30 year old UFA is a terrible idea, so I'm hoping that's not the plan. The only way I trade one of our young top forwards is if a similar aged player is coming back.

That's not the type of player you dump for cap space. You trade him only to improve your team.

Of course, but the most likely scenario would be trading Marner for a cheaper young forward in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->