Value of: Marner for a top pair RD

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Marner's cap hit is a problem in and of itself. He's a really good young player, but is getting paid like a Superstar who has won multiple Cups (i.e. Kane). Most teams do not want to, or can't, deal with that.

Trade for Skinner and the #8. Salaries are close. Pick Sanderson or Drysdale with the #8.
so trade a 94 point winger for one of the worst contracts in the league and the 8th. yea im sure youd make that trade for your team. i dont know if id touch the skinner contract for the 8th pick let alone giving marner.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Marner's cap hit is a problem in and of itself. He's a really good young player, but is getting paid like a Superstar who has won multiple Cups (i.e. Kane). Most teams do not want to, or can't, deal with that.

Trade for Skinner and the #8. Salaries are close. Pick Sanderson or Drysdale with the #8.
Why not for Echiel? "...
is getting paid like a Superstar who has won multiple Cups (i.e. Kane)."

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Also, leafs fans keep forgetting that wing is the least valuable position

if you are a winger getting paid 11m, you better get bare minimum 40 goals per season

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Yes. 100%.

Marner is in a class of wingers that drive a 1st line.

I agree Marner is of of that caliber, I’m a fan of his. His contract impacts his value though. His AAV is in the pay tier of the best player in the world (McDavid) and Hart front runner (Panarin), who got payed this amount a UFA.

Many other players in the 10M+ range are considered to be questionable contracts. The young players with these are franchise 1C.

Winger is considered to be the least valuable position. I don’t think there is a particularly long list of teams that see Marner as equivalent value of an Eichel or Matthews.

Unless the Wings for some reason don’t like the long term upside of their stud Dman and Zadina and want to sell high on them, I can’t see why they make this deal.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Marner for Trouba, Buchnevich, and CAR’s 1st.

Cap hit: Tor is 11m and NYR is 11.75m

Toronto’s cap goes up 750k but they fill an extra roster spot.

This is contingent on Lundqvist agrees to leave the team (Rangers have talked to Lundqvist about his future on the team already).

Buying out Staal is also an option too if needed. Money saved on Lundqvist’s contract re-signs ADA and we take Strome to arbitration one year.

Panarin-Strome-Marner
Kreider-Zibby-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-Fogarty

Lindgren-Fox
Smith-ADA
Staal-? Maybe Hajek

Igor
Georgiev

The next year we look to getting rid of Staal and Smith and bring in guys like Miller and Rykov.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This is the trade I want Toronto to do.

If you can find that guy to pair with Rielly Toronto becomes substantially more balanced over night.
I remember during the world championships where Rielly was paired with Tanev, and they dominated they weren't on the ice for a goal against, top pairing, they won gold.
Obviously Tanev isnt the guy as he has passed his peak, but they need to make a trade for the right side badly.

This. There’s a time where Tanev would’ve been a perfect fit, but that time has passed.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Marner for Ellis + Turris (50% retained)

Toronto gets a 1B RHD, another forward at 3M who would play better in Toronto’s system, and 2M in cap space.

Nashville gets an elite forward young enough to stick around for a rebuild.

I know this still isn’t ideal for Toronto but honestly the value of the Marner contract is whoof.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Marner for Trouba, Buchnevich, and CAR’s 1st.

Cap hit: Tor is 11m and NYR is 11.75m

Toronto’s cap goes up 750k but they fill an extra roster spot.

This is contingent on Lundqvist agrees to leave the team (Rangers have talked to Lundqvist about his future on the team already).

Buying out Staal is also an option too if needed. Money saved on Lundqvist’s contract re-signs ADA and we take Strome to arbitration one year.

Panarin-Strome-Marner
Kreider-Zibby-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil-Gauthier
Lemieux-Howden-Fogarty

Lindgren-Fox
Smith-ADA
Staal-? Maybe Hajek

Igor
Georgiev

The next year we look to getting rid of Staal and Smith and bring in guys like Miller and Rykov.

No chance the Leafs take this crap. They’re trying to cut salaries and you offer garbage and increase their cap.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I doubt you'd get any bites on this. As good as Marner is, wingers just don't fetch those kind of D; the positional value isn't there. When Edmonton moved Hall, they were offering him for virtually any U-25 RD in the league who looked to have the potential to fill that kind of role, and NJ was their only taker. Marner is a bit better than Hall was at the time of that trade, but that's probably not enough to get you from Adam Larsson to a genuine top pair D. The flat cap also doesn't help things.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Penguins need a winger who can help Crosby and Malkin produce consistent offense. They also need a guy who can quarterback the power play. A guy who can also kill penalties on top of all that is just a bonus. I think even Mike Sullivan would like Marner, perhaps even enough to not put nephew-in-law Sheary in the top six (maybe).

If you put Letang and Johnson's salaries together, you are pretty close to Marner alone. More pieces could be included because the Leafs would need a winger and the Pens would need a defenseman. You could add Zucker or McCann on one side, Holl or Dermott or a prospect on the other side. Something like that. Add picks, prospects and more players but the idea is there.

Personally I don't think Toronto has any interest at all in trading Marner, and I think that is the right decision. But if Rutherford is serious about retooling the Penguins, getting a quality winger who can help Crosby and Malkin offensively should be near the top of his wish list.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba, Klingberg, and to a lesser extent, Ellis, are not defensive Dmen. Didn't TML learn anything with the Barrie debacle?

Reactions: wintersej

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Why? They can take on that cap.

A) They can but they actually can't. A cap hit of 11m is to big to take on. Especially when they will have young prospects to pay here in the near future. So they will need that cap space for them. They also will not want to pay 3 guys @ 11m cap hits.

B) who would LA have to trade for Marner? Toronto need a Dman and LA isnt willing to move Doughty. He is the only Dman that carry LA's young D-core. It would make LA too stacked offensively and have no Defense. Similar to what Toronto's problem is now. So a trade would have to involve prospects and picks which Toronto doesn't need because they are trying to make a run for a cup (unlikely). It would also cost LA too much to make a move for Marner within their prospect pool. LA isn't in position yet to make a move like that until maybe 3-4 years down the line.

So they can't actually take that cap hit. It would be the most illogical thing for them to do.

No wonder why LA sucks, Doughty is “important” to their d core.

Where the f**k does a comment like this come from? LA is in the middle of a rebuild/retool and is a team building to be a cup contender in the future. LA doesn't suck; they are right where they need to be. Also one guy doesn't define if a team is good or bad as its a team sport. That falls on a lot of guys shoulders.

Doughty is a key piece in moving the team forward to the playoffs and eventually to another cup. He is the only defenseman that can carry LA's young D-core. He's got the NHL experience needed to teach the younger plays how to play the game. He's playe a little over 900 games in the NHL and the next highest guy has 109 and keeps falling off a cliff after that. So take Doughty off that blueline and see how actually bad LA can "suck". But just remember that Doughty is still one of the best Dman in the NHL amd carries a whole teams D-core by himself.

And if you're a Rangers fan by your name and picture. Don't talk to me about how teams "suck" because the Rangers are just as bad as LA. The two teams haven't been that far apart in the standings. Just keep letting the NHL leaders help you by winning two of the best winger prospects in the NHL (Kakko and Lafreniere). You still haven't won shit since 94 and won't win anything soon either. Plus Doughty is better than all of the Rangers Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad