Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's never been explained why playing with Tavares is seen as a negative when discussing Marner.
Seems pointless and rather idiotic when they played 82 games together.
Most successful line in the nhl this year. Somehow mNy of the ones claiming recency bias after last year, cant give up that Marner is an elite forward. Tavares must be an awfully stupid guy to be sold that he will get a 60 point forward as a selling point to come over.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Do you seriously not realize the stupidity in making that argument for a player who was only in his third year this season? Do you forget Marner being on fire in the second half of last season? Are you new to sports and don't realize young players get better as they age?

Again, never said that Marner hasn't improved. He obviously has.

But a huge factor in his point totals this year is Tavares.

The same people are arguing his numbers were diminished before because he played with Bozak, but his numbers last year weren't increased by Tavares ?

Can't have it both ways, either his line mates help him (and hurt him) or they don't. It's insane.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
doesn't that show Marner performs worse without Tavares, and Tavares does better without Marner?
It shows an errant shot towards the net either way on a mistimed shift change. Marner and Tavares were pretty well together the whole season. Totally disingenuous.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Did u watch the tap ins that didnt happen? No highlight film of those? You throw out video claiming that Marner isnt doing anything yet i saw a pretty good chunk of those Tavares goals which were all Marner. Without those, the goals would have dropped by quite a bit. I also remember a number of goals that should have gone in but were missed by JT.

:facepalm: and Marner missed opportunities too...good lord people they are 2 stars that are extremely lucky to get to play together...thy both affected each others point totals and they both drove that line at different points in the season...stop trying to class one as above the other, they are on the same trajectory albeit JT is further into his trajectory seeing as he is older and has 10 years in the league

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All these people, so many,so embarrassing to the other fans. It's a shame, hurts my heart reading how Mitch is the best player on the team. I feel for you all so I won't say to much about it.

I just know when Mitch signs his 9.5m deal, you're all going to look silly having said things like best player on the team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I remember when Matthews went down with that shoulder injury against the Jets, Marner gets things going on a line with Kadri sets up the 2 comeback goals with nice forechecks and sweet passes from behind the goal line...oh wait...just read it...

“They had most of the momentum,” Kadri admitted, down 2-0. “The good thing about this group is we never feel down and out.”
Reunited in the third frame on a line with play-making winger Mitch Marner and a suddenly inconsistent Patrick Marleau, Kadri popped the Leafs on the board by finishing off a nifty Marner steal on the forecheck and now has himself a little two-game goal-scoring run.

Marner would later reveal that he and Kadri designed that play during the second intermission.

“Electric. After that first goal, I don’t think one fan sat down in their seat for the rest of the game,” Kadri said.
“I feel like we didn’t skip a beat. As soon as that line was put together, we came every shift. They’re great guys to play with. Patty’s got the speed and hustle. Mitch obviously is an exceptional playmaker. It’s very easy for me to get open and receive the puck. I just gotta be ready to score.”

I don't know, i just remember Nylander getting a contract and the team being sub 500 with Mitch the Magnificent, McDavid comparable apparently.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It shows an errant shot towards the net either way on a mistimed shift change. Marner and Tavares were pretty well together the whole season. Totally disingenuous.
if you think it's totally worthless, why direct it towards IPS as if it proved him wrong in any way?

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
1 year deal. NEVER sees the ice with Tavares. Negotiate off that average season, punk.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
The Marner line is the Leafs' 1st line, not Matthews'.
Goes to show that Dubas can't be very smart paying Matthews and Tavares more then he is offering Marner. Oh well, maybe that team that wants to commit financial suicide with an 11+ offer sheet and give up 4 frists, will prove Marner is more valuable than both Matthews and Tavares.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
doesn't that show Marner performs worse without Tavares, and Tavares does better without Marner?
Yeah. It shows that Tavares scores a bit more goals and significantly less 5v5 points playing with Marner.
But Marner scores significantly more goals and points playing with Tavares.

I mean... unless those stats are just made up, doesn't it put to rest the argument that Tavares was more helped by Marner than the other way around?

Now think about Marner playing with Teravainen and Aho playing with Tavares.
Aho just signed for 8.5x5

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All these people, so many,so embarrassing to the other fans. It's a shame, hurts my heart reading how Mitch is the best player on the team. I feel for you all so I won't say to much about it.

I just know when Mitch signs his 9.5m deal, you're all going to look silly having said things like best player on the team.

Yeah well, if you're hurt, just think how Kapanen would feel.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I love the folks who pretend to be so magnanimous and fair minded with respect to Marner yet stay silent when trolls attack. Actually come to their defense too. So telling.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Most successful line in the nhl this year. Somehow mNy of the ones claiming recency bias after last year, cant give up that Marner is an elite forward. Tavares must be an awfully stupid guy to be sold that he will get a 60 point forward as a selling point to come over.

Perfection line out of Boston
MLR from Colorado

both of these lines say hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad