Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You Nylander fans would prefer a 1c or 1 d to get traded over considering the obvious suitcase having your boys name on it

I luv Nylander and Marner, both are beauties, you should relax on the Nylander fanboy stuff, its kinda insulting! just saying and you are quite the fanatical Marner fan

Reactions: Kiwi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If things really go off the deep end, a fun scenario would be letting Marner walk for 4 1st to the Islanders and then just offersheet Barzal the following off season. The Islanders likely have a better chance of having better picks than the Leafs (especially if their goaltending takes a dive).

Doubt an offersheet is signed or actually offered though

Reactions: The Podium and Kiwi

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I thought the Islanders didn’t have cap space. Beside, would it make more sense for teams to OS Point instead of Marner as both TB and us are cap crunch.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think the Leafs match a 12AAV 7 year deal

I agree, but it’s right in the zone that there would be a lot of consideration for not matching. Trade Johnsson for some picks, and you’re okay...

Not sure if the Leafs would math any higher then that, though.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I’d pick up the phone to Lou and work out a trade involving Noah Dobson and two 1sts + a 3rd instead of the 4 1sts.

Dobson is gonna be a game changer. Big, fast, smart, good offensively, incredible defensively.

Closest young comparable to Seth Jones that there is IMHO

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I thought the Islanders didn’t have cap space. Beside, would it make more sense for teams to OS Point instead of Marner as both TB and us are cap crunch.

That's what's funny. Islanders fans and maybe Lou would think they are screwing us over by signing Marner to that contract but I think we'd be the winners here. Have that extra cap space and 4 1st round picks and the Islanders are a pretty bad team who got carried by a goalie and will probably be a lottery team. Sounds like the Senators team a few years ago and now look at them.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If things really go off the deep end, a fun scenario would be letting Marner walk for 4 1st to the Islanders and then just offersheet Barzal the following off season. The Islanders likely have a better chance of having better picks than the Leafs (especially if their goaltending takes a dive).

Doubt an offersheet is signed or actually offered though

IIRC the Isles are in no better shape capwise then the Leafs. They will have to shed contracts to make it happen and obviously Barzal will be looking for similar money next season if he has a big year. I do t see it but Lou may not love Barzal enough to want to pay $10m for his game next year so Mitch becomes his replacement.
I would sooner OS Domi next year than Barzal because it wont be the same crazy money. Losing Mitch gives them a shot at Gusev, retaining Barrie and maybe more. There is a win to be had here, even if they lose MM. I am not concerned for the season without him and an organization cannot let's its players or its competitors run their salary structure.

Shanny, man up here and let Marner take his talents to south beach or wherever if that's what he wants.

Reactions: Menzinger

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Okay, so 40G 73P Matthews can be compared to them... then why isn’t 94P U22 Marner being held to the same standards?
Kane's contract (the only other winger on that list) coming off his ELC was 11.09% of the cap - Converted to today's dollars for Marner would be a 5-year deal at a hair over $9M. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he signed for that.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Crazy. Is Marner worth 4/5 million more than Aho or Draisaitl?
You are trading Nylander or 2 others pretty much right away.

Marner considers himself very close to Matthews and wants to paid that way, Dubas should have been aware of this going into the Matthews negotiations and not overpay him. Dubas didnt realize he was actually negotiating with Marner also during the Matthews negotiations

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner considers himself very close to Matthews and wants to paid that way, Dubas should have been aware of this going into the Matthews negotiations and not overpay him. Dubas didnt realize he was actually negotiating with Marner during the Matthews negotiations

Great plan, so both of them getting offersheets instead of just one? Where do I sign up

I'm sure he feels that way, doesn't mean the team needs to lose it's marbles as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad